Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Will be interesting to see if they are content to fill those two fwd spots from the scrap heap, leverage the cap room to get pick(s) for taking a high salary "overpaid" fwd from a cap stretched team or if they end up making a hockey trade to add a legit top 6 fwd.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
I can't imagine the NHLPA will allow CBJ to remain under the cap floor when there are unsigned free agents out there. Even one year "fill in the gap" signings. I know it's an awkward situation but they have to try.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
I can't imagine the NHLPA will allow CBJ to remain under the cap floor when there are unsigned free agents out there. Even one year "fill in the gap" signings. I know it's an awkward situation but they have to try.
I honestly expected Patches to land at CBJ on a deal to get them right to the cap floor. When he didn’t I was surprised.

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Is Tyler Johnson good enough to play a rotating role there? I don't see him get talked about much.
Edit- oh he's on a PTO to Boston maybe that's why lol.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Even if the end result is CBJ adding a ltir player to reach the floor from a club that has already made moves to fully utilize the ltir room, the PA still has to do what is best for their members and have the nhl team make a move to comply.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Why should they have to overpay for bargain bin free agents just because their star forward got ran over by a drunk asshole?

Reactions: Xoggz22

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even if the end result is CBJ adding a ltir player to reach the floor from a club that has already made moves to fully utilize the ltir room, the PA still has to do what is best for their members and have the nhl team make a move to comply.
I get that you're desperate for us to be forced to relieve Vancouver's cap pressure for them but seriously you're trying way too hard.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Reactions: MrEckted and Teemu

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Good call but I see JVR as more of a measuring stick for a guy like Johnson to pass. JVR has slowed down and he was known for being slow already. I see it more like this by mid season:

Johnson Monahan Marchenko
Jenner Fantilli Chinakov
JVR Voronkov Sillinger
Danforth Kuraly Olivier

A mix of young guys with Vets. Jenner can take the C pressure off Fanilli until he's ready to be a C full time.

Reactions: Indy18

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Good call but I see JVR as more of a measuring stick for a guy like Johnson to pass. JVR has slowed down and he was known for being slow already. I see it more like this by mid season:

Jenner Fantilli Chinakov
JVR Voronkov Sillinger
Danforth Kuraly Olivier

A mix of young guys with Vets. Jenner can take the C pressure off Fanilli until he's ready to be a C full time.
Looking at one more slot to since Danforth is going to be out...I still wouldn't be shocked to see a cap dump trade between us and Seattle for Tanev. Makes too much sense as long as we can get some value for that dump and Columbus/Seattle have been kind to each other the past few years due to circumstances.

Reactions: majormajor

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011

Jenner Fantilli Chinakov
JVR Voronkov Sillinger
Danforth Kuraly Olivier

Yes that is certainly possible. I just felt JVR was a good player to help the young scorers along and a great character piece for a team sure to go through a turbulent and emotional season. Ideally JVR isn’t playing in the top 6 all year but I do love the signing for depth reasons, character reasons and some scoring to boot.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
JVR signing gives them 23 players so they have send someone down to the AHL then sign/acquire someone to/has 2.6m+ contract to be over with out the league/union granting an exemption.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

The unsigned free agents aren't worth half as much though.

The JVR signing displaces someone else on the 23 man roster who would have a similar ~$1m contract, so they're not any closer to the cap floor after signing him.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Since when do head coaches shape

So when I read this and all of the other quotes of the CBJ fans like this, I feel bad for you guys. As an LA fan, I remember when LA was like CBJ, never having a truly significant post season, constantly drafting and signing a UFA here or there but never getting past the 2nd round. I know how that feels.
It was even worse for LA, because we got the "chosen one" and kept failing, and even got to a Final and never got to bring the Cup to LA. Never won it, never got far enough in the Final where it at least came to LA, never had a player born in LA who won it on another team and brought it to LA...it sounds a lot like CBJ's plight minus Gretzky and that lone Final appearance. Except for LA it was nearly 40 years where as CBJ has been around like 27 years. So I know that pain.

You guys are asking all of the wrong questions. The CBJ franchise record speaks for itself including the recent record. I don't need to justify how "I would fix this" or "what is exactly wrong". It's OBVIOUS it's wrong. Only six appearances in in 27 years, five of those were first round exits, and one second round exit. Only one playoff series win in 27 years and it doesn't look any better this year either. And not counting any weird qualifying round, only 12 playoff game wins in the entire franchise history.

The question to be asked is not to me; the question to be asked is, is there any way possible to reverse this?

Right now getting a 1OA pick is extremely difficult. Getting a top 5 pick where the player picked actually turns out to be an actual franchise player is tough enough but with so many franchises now, getting 1OA and in a year where there is a true 1OA player is very difficult due to constant expansion. And the only guy I've ever heard of that built a Cup franchise that could go on multiple runs and won more than one Cup without a franchise 1OA is Dean Lombardi (in this cap era). Tampa had Stamkos, Chicago had Kane, Pittsburgh got Crosby, etc.

So the OP asked a question, I answered it. That's what I would do is either get DL or find a DL, someone with the vision to fix the entire franchise culture, both FO and locker room, and put in an entire system for what kind of players to draft and have the game taught the same way from minors to NHL club.
Look Dean. I'm sorry you're out of work. CBJ just flipped the front office, coaching staff and have been re-building their prospect pool for at least 3 years now. I get that you might like to mold the young players in Columbus, but we just don't have a need for you. Changes occur when things don't work. Maybe if the current regime can't get this young core to grow we'll have a need to revisit this and if you're still around we'll look you up on here. Otherwise, good luck and thanks for the input.

Reactions: Fro and CBJx614

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The unsigned free agents aren't worth half as much though.

The JVR signing displaces someone else on the 23 man roster who would have a similar ~$1m contract, so they're not any closer to the cap floor after signing him.
I believe the roster also currently include TFW, who is unlikely to be a NHL player out of camp. Couple that with the Danforth injury news and there is still room to add another veteran. I think we see what happens in camp and the waiver wire myself. Or a trade with a cap strapped team to get another asset - I would hope something to replace the 2nd round picks we've moved. That can be recovered at the deadline I'm sure. There are still options. We'll see what happens.

Reactions: CBJx614

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Offer sheet Thomas Harley 6.87 million. Costs you a 1st and third. You get a young top 4 defencman signed long term. Hit the cap floor and pray you don’t finish bottom 10. You can try and offer sheet Seider but red wings can match that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Offer sheet Thomas Harley 6.87 million. Costs you a 1st and third. You get a young top 4 defencman signed long term. Hit the cap floor and pray you don’t finish bottom 10. You can try and offer sheet Seider but red wings can match that.

The Jackets are very likely going to be bottom 10, and likely bottom five. Harley just isn't good enough to justify it.

I think big offer sheets should be used more to build teams, but the way it is designed, bottom teams can't use them. It's very regressive.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
The Jackets are very likely going to be bottom 10, and likely bottom five. Harley just isn't good enough to justify it.

I think big offer sheets should be used more to build teams, but the way it is designed, bottom teams can't use them. It's very regressive.
Realistically I don’t see them doing that because they’re likely bottom 10. It was a creative way to get a good player and not overpay just to make cap floor. Trying to make it fun for us fans!

DougBodger

Sep 24, 2023
I wonder if Greenway is available in Buffalo? $3 mil for this year.

Not sure he's got a place on that roster with Ruff in charge and the revamped bottom 6.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I wonder if Greenway is available in Buffalo? $3 mil for this year.

Not sure he's got a place on that roster with Ruff in charge and the revamped bottom 6.

seattle is in a tight bind themselves 4k of cap space and only 21 players and need to move a player just to get 22 players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad