Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
In my mind the exemption would be there simply so the team keeps some kind of leverage with other teams and players in negotiations. They shouldn't need to give a player that is only worth 750k, 3 million or get down to the deadline and be forced to take a bad deal just because other teams know they are time limited.

I'd have a completely different take on it if it had happened prior to or right around the start of Free Agency. Pretty much anyone left isn't worth the money they are needing to fill and I could see a situation where they may have offers for cap dumps, but don't like what is being offered.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It's a small amount in around $3 mill to hit the cap floor. That's like the average value of an NHL contract these days. And it doesn't have to be a warm body. Could be an LTIR player which would cost CBJ nothing to acquire and more than likely a draft pick to take on and pay out the small % that is not covered by insurance. (from what I read on Hossa/Bolland, it's about 20% that the team needs to cover).

As for the remainder of the JG contract, that's going to take time for the family to get a payout (full value). I don't think it falls on the CBJ to pay it out, would be from insurance. May end up having to go to court to get it paid out.
My understanding is the family will get 1 years salary and his insurance payment (1 million).

If that is part of the CBA and it looks like it is, then that's what they will get.

They could sue the driver but that looks like blood from a stone situation as his insurance is unlikely to cover drunk driving.

That being said, 10+ million and the estate of someone who made 70M in the last decade is ALOT of money.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
In my mind the exemption would be there simply so the team keeps some kind of leverage with other teams and players in negotiations. They shouldn't need to give a player that is only worth 750k, 3 million or get down to the deadline and be forced to take a bad deal just because other teams know they are time limited.

I'd have a completely different take on it if it had happened prior to or right around the start of Free Agency. Pretty much anyone left isn't worth the money they are needing to fill and I could see a situation where they may have offers for cap dumps, but don't like what is being offered.
Personally I don't think there will be an exemption and I think Waddell is gonna add someone anyways to the top 9. He was looking just days before Johnny's murder and openly stated he had 2 offers on the table. I wouldn't doubt those offers are still on the table as business at Nationwide probably halted and FO around the league are holding a grace period for CBJ to recover and pay their respects. Its just unfortunate whoever that is now is going to be viewed as a replacement goldfish and be under the microscope so anyone with trade protection is gonna use it (unless they want to do it for JG but thats extremely unlikely). Business has probably stopped at this point until Wednesday this week as Johnny is laid to rest tomorrow and travel back Tuesday.

Last edited:

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
If a team lost so many players that it was an actual burden then the league should look at an exemption. This is not the case for the CBJ. Sign an FA or two or trade for a cap dump that comes with picks.
I never said it was the case for CBJ, and I have not advocated for an exemption. I do think the league will try to put some parameters in place in case something terrible like this happens in the future. Now that everyone is on notice that it could happen, it would be irresponsible for the league not to address it. The main point of the post you replied to is the bereavement policies of random employers are irrelevant to this discussion (which is true and should not be controversial).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If a team lost so many players that it was an actual burden then the league should look at an exemption. This is not the case for the CBJ. Sign an FA or two or trade for a cap dump that comes with picks.
The Jackets just packaged a 2nd round pick with Laine because taking on dead cap is not an option. They shouldn't be forced to take on a bad (overpaid) contract just because Gaudreau passed away.

Reactions: Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can't see CBJ taking Norris. Too much uncertainty after the shoulder injuries.

If they were willing to take him and maybe send Ottawa back a 3C, that would be something Ottawa should consider.

Of course, the only exception would be if Ottawa has a reason to believe he is very likely to bounce back..
Let me put it this way. None of us responded to that post when it was originally made because there was no possible response that would stay within site rules. Those were completely unacceptable as options to even consider when we were discussing moving Laine. To suggest them now is downright ghoulish.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Meanwhile, I was all ready to say "yeah, we can manage without an exemption if need be" earlier, but given that folks are already starting to double down on some genuinely g-dawful ideas to "help", I'm beginning to hope we get one anyways just so 1) we still have some leverage (like @Armourboy suggested above) and 2) to spite the folks here who are making extended arguments out of "you don't understand, you're the Blue Jackets; you nobody losers still don't deserve anything, least of all special consideration after one of the biggest tragedies in hockey history."

Some people, I swear to G-d...

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Trade for Huberdeau or Marner. Both can be made available if needed.
Sure we'll trade for Huberdeau

That will be 2 firsts...unprotected of course

Wait...you think we are gonna wipe the slate clean for a $60 mil remaining contract where they are going to age out past when we plan to open our contention window with Fantilli and Co in probably 2 years?

What you think we are a dumping ground for y'all regret long term contracts? Come now...if you wanna wipe the slate clean you got to pay the blood price.

Last edited:

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
The Jackets just packaged a 2nd round pick with Laine because taking on dead cap is not an option. They shouldn't be forced to take on a bad (overpaid) contract just because Gaudreau passed away.
They aren't forced to take on dead cap. They could hire a player. They could take on cap for picks. Their choice.

The fact that JG contract was one of the worst in the league makes it clear that no exceptional circumstances are needed.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The league should force the Jackets to be competitive, that's what the cap floor is there for. Either they sign or trade for someone to replace their loss.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
door #1 is signing a free agent or two and getting back above the cap floor. door #2 is a sensible trade for a player on an expiring contract who will get them above the cap floor

seeing way too many comments pretending there's a third door where the blue jackets take a multi-year albatross deal off of another team's hands because we're gonna be bad anyway or whatever.

those comments are so far off base that i'm going to go ahead and make up an equally-ridiculous fourth door, wherein the blue jackets do nothing, play every game below the cap floor, have every result invalidated, leading to an 0-82 record and guaranteed top three draft pick.

that is a better option than taking brendan gallahger or jonathan huberdeau or whatever other nonsense y'all are suggesting.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
door #1 is signing a free agent or two and getting back above the cap floor. door #2 is a sensible trade for a player on an expiring contract who will get them above the cap floor

seeing way too many comments pretending there's a third door where the blue jackets take a multi-year albatross deal off of another team's hands because we're gonna be bad anyway or whatever.

those comments are so far off base that i'm going to go ahead and make up an equally-ridiculous fourth door, wherein the blue jackets do nothing, play every game below the cap floor, have every result invalidated, leading to an 0-82 record and guaranteed top three draft pick.

that is a better option than taking brendan gallahger or jonathan huberdeau or whatever other nonsense y'all are suggesting.
Probably a more plausible one too.

Reactions: Armourboy

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
The league should force the Jackets to be competitive, that's what the cap floor is there for. Either they sign or trade for someone to replace their loss.
Considering that DW was on record saying he wanted to add another forward BEFORE Gaudreau was killed, I think a signing, trade, or both will likely happen...after the funeral.

The idea that the league would need to (or should) force the Jackets' hand given the circumstances is obtuse, as is the notion that signing someone who is unemployed on Sept. 9th to an overpriced contract will make the team "more competitive."

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
My understanding is the family will get 1 years salary and his insurance payment (1 million).

If that is part of the CBA and it looks like it is, then that's what they will get.

They could sue the driver but that looks like blood from a stone situation as his insurance is unlikely to cover drunk driving.

That being said, 10+ million and the estate of someone who made 70M in the last decade is ALOT of money.
The most obvious and fairest answer is to allow Columbus to keep Johnny’s cap hit for this year as they are paying the salary to his family. No need for special exemptions or long term LTIRetireds

Reactions: Spazkat and CBJx614

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Anthansiou from Chicago is 1 year at 4 million prob wouldnt cost anything and solid NHLer.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Unless Gaudreau got additional insurance than what the one the NHL provides, that does sound like what the family will be limited to for the NHL.
Do the highly paid athletes in baseball, soccer, NFL, basketball, hockey get additional insurance themselves? Like Lebron, Mahomes, Messi/Rinaldo, Harper, etc.?

Johnny's widow financially will be ok. Matthew's on other hand.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
It's wild to me that some people look at this situation and clearly think Columbus is LUCKY to be out of the Gaudreau contract. That's a pretty obvious subtext floating around here: Getting out of that contract is enough of a BENEFIT for Columbus. Why should they get anything else?

I, for one, can assure you that your team having their best player die tragically a month before the season is actually deeply, profoundly unlucky and decidedly NOT a benefit. And y'all can wrongly speculate a scenario where Gaudreau was going to be shipped out of town as a bust but all evidence, most specifically the signing of Monahan, pointed to a continued future here in Columbus.

We love the player and anticipated a bounce back year. The contract was fine.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ownership doesn't like to pay guys to not play here. That's pretty much their one big thing when it comes to budgeting.

Would insurance cover most of Price's contract? Like it could be more cost effective to pay price 500k then take a guy like Evander Kane and pay him 5M+ per year even though he could be playing.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Would insurance cover most of Price's contract? Like it could be more cost effective to pay price 500k then take a guy like Evander Kane and pay him 5M+ per year even though he could be playing.
I think that'd be a more viable approach if it was only for the one year.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think that'd be a more viable approach if it was only for the one year.

This year and next, so could still be cheaper then an Evander Kane acquisition (as an example) but just throwing out ideas.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I do recall from the days of AZ with Hossa/Bolland, that they ended up on the hook for 20% of the salary in terms of real money. That would probably limit the desire of CBJ to take Price's contract vs say Lehner who has 1 year and $4.5 mill in real money ($900K cash) if the same % holds for all LTIR players. Not to mention the additional term left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad