Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
All it indicates is they wanted a clean book going forward. Retention would've been a red line item next season, too. A buyout would've been longer than that (which is why they didn't buy out Elvis - Waddell is literally on the record saying that).

This is such a dumb take. There's nothing left to blow up. This is year four of a rebuild. There is no more "move players for futures" at this stage of the rebuild, and losing Gaudreau doesn't change that at all. The pieces to move out are long gone. What's left is: the building blocks making up what is already a top five farm system, immovable Elvis, and two vets who are core pieces (Jenner and Werenski). Fourth line vets like Kuraly might yield a fourth at the deadline. They're not trading off a Russian (all of whom are U25 and the first two only just signed their second contracts this summer) for picks, Sillinger, or Jiricek. The kids just have to step up.
That's really all that's been going through my head after the initial shock and grief of what happened. When I first looked at the roster without him on it, that's what it comes down to.

The kids, Fantilli, KJ, the Russians, Silly. At least or two of them needs a major breakout and the rest cant afford to slump. Same on the defensive side. Granted it's not all gonna happen for all of them at once or even during the same season. But we need a few of them to step up in a big way. And it's really that simple.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's a terrible tragedy, and very unfortunate for the Blue Jackets organization.

As it sits right now, they are below the Salary Cap floor. Will the league hold them to the Salary Cap floor requirement, or give them an exception?

If the league holds them to the floor rule, what transactions, or taking on LTIR players will they do, to reach the Salary cap floor?

Monahan signed with Columbus, to play with one of "his best friends" in Gaudreau. Will he still want to be there?

The cap hit is removed, they are below the Cap floor. As far as what happens.... stay tuned, nobody knows yet, but probably have to reach the Cap floor, unless an exemption is granted.

Personally I fully expect an exemption to be granted. I mean what are they supposed to do take on a bad contract just to get to cap floor. Obviously if they had done it to themselves, no sympathy, but that’s not the case here.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Once a season starts no one is going to feel that much sorrow for anyone and that's just how it goes. I expect there will be tributes made around the league but they'll get old after a while and once the puck drops it's just business then.

That said I think Columbus has some very good young forwards---Fantilli should be a big star. Marchenko, Voronkov already are very good players and they should get more from Sillinger, Chibrikov and Johnson. These are all young, talented players. Where missing Gaudreau hurts most might not just be in the skills department but in veteran leadership and he seemed a happy go lucky type that didn't get too high or too low and that's something that often comes with experience but that's also helpful for young guys to see. It's an issue that young teams really have to battle. The Jackets have a lot of talent it's just getting the pieces to sync....that's easier when you have some guys who've been around.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I have noticed several (a lot?) comments that they should tank, blow it up and get more high end picks, etc. I assume that's from those that don't recognize this team has consistently been one of the youngest teams in the league, if not the youngest, the last 3-4 years. They have a top 3-5 prospect pool and even stronger when you consider the young players already on the roster. This team just lost a veteran. A damn good one on and off the ice. They need more leadership, not more youth. The have finally built up the middle. If anything the goaltending is the biggest wart on the roster. They should be looking to add a middle six or bottom six veteran that can help drive this team to play the right way and push for wins. The longer this young group loses, the harder it will be to recover. Losing Johnny doesn't help that, but the thought that this team is devoid of talent is just flat out wrong. They've had 3 coaches (4 of you want to count Babcock) in 4 years. No system, lost leadership and a poor on ice build. The changes pushed this off season have been huge, unfortunately it has gotten bigger with the loss of JG.

Time to learn to win. Bring in leadership and hard players to play against to fill the void as the young players continue to grow. It will be harder after this event, but, my God, they do not need to blow it up and get younger.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Freddy Gaudreau for future considerations.

Gaudreau gets a restart under a coach that has favored him. Columbus gets a semi cheap bottom 6 forward that can act as a Swiss army knife that plays wing and center.
i know that evason has history with him and likes him and whatnot, but this is an instance where the optics of adding another 'gaudreau' would be so weird that i don't even want to consider it.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I have noticed several (a lot?) comments that they should tank, blow it up and get more high end picks, etc. I assume that's from those that don't recognize this team has consistently been one of the youngest teams in the league, if not the youngest, the last 3-4 years. They have a top 3-5 prospect pool and even stronger when you consider the young players already on the roster. This team just lost a veteran. A damn good one on and off the ice. They need more leadership, not more youth. The have finally built up the middle. If anything the goaltending is the biggest wart on the roster. They should be looking to add a middle six or bottom six veteran that can help drive this team to play the right way and push for wins. The longer this young group loses, the harder it will be to recover. Losing Johnny doesn't help that, but the thought that this team is devoid of talent is just flat out wrong. They've had 3 coaches (4 of you want to count Babcock) in 4 years. No system, lost leadership and a poor on ice build. The changes pushed this off season have been huge, unfortunately it has gotten bigger with the loss of JG.

Time to learn to win. Bring in leadership and hard players to play against to fill the void as the young players continue to grow. It will be harder after this event, but, my God, they do not need to blow it up and get younger.
Two of which were first time NHL coaches...

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the league just tells them to take their time, make the deal they want to make, or sign they player they want to sign. If that isn't out there or it takes a bit longer, then they will be given an exemption, but the NHL and NHLPA would like them to be above the cap floor if at all possible.

Reactions: Accelleratii

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel like they have to grant an exception. There is no player available worth a Johnny Hockey cap hit at this point that wouldn't also carry a ludicrous pick package. It clearly wasn't Columbus's choice to lose Gaudreau off their roster.
It's a CBA issue, which requires PA to signoff if an exception is granted. PA job is to do what is best for their players. With current members without contracts, they'd more likely do not agree to an exception. Because a team that doesn't have the cap room if given the space, may actually use it if they free up cap space and sign other players.

As a whole, players have had to return money to the league, so even if an exception was granted, the players would more than likely owe escrow back to the NHL vs the NHL owing the players money.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
All I know is that I will be cheering for Columbus to win the cup this year. That's a huge ask for that team at this time of course looking at the roster and experience there, but that's what I will personally be rooting for as a Flames' fan and a Gaudreau fan.

Reactions: Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the better course of action, at least for the long term future of the franchise, is to blow it up a bit, make some key trades and try to stack the deck in the draft over the next 2 or 3 years. Trade one or two of the best current players for futures and build around what you have in the minors and what you can pick up in the draft. You do it right, and this team could be a monster in a few years. They already have a decent farm, you could now make that farm elite.

For me this roster already looks like a team that has been blown up. The Jackets are already the youngest in the league. You add more than a couple more rookies/kids to this roster and you're getting in to the blind leading the blind situation.

The team could be worse, for sure, like San Jose or Chicago bad, if they dump a few more veterans. But those clubs are putting their young players in a bad development situation. They literally don't have the puck. I think we have to do what's best for the young talent the Jackets have already drafted, and that means not blowing it up any further than they already have.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Indy18

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If I'm the NHL, I ask them to get to the floor by opening night. If they don't, I'd grant them an exception until December 31st. After that, I guess the standard rules would apply (whatever they are).

Outside of that - I do believe this season is a write-off in the 'winning' sense. At some point I expect one of those 'Fail for Nail' things to begin for whoever becomes the expected #1 pick (No wins for Hagens?), and I wouldn't blame Columbus and their fanbase one bit for latching on to the kind of hope something like that can bring - especially after going through what they are now.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I feel like they have to grant an exception. There is no player available worth a Johnny Hockey cap hit at this point that wouldn't also carry a ludicrous pick package. It clearly wasn't Columbus's choice to lose Gaudreau off their ro, soster.
They wouldn't need a Gaudreau sized cap hit. They would need a cap hit big enough to hit the cap floor. From what people have been saying in this thread, Columbus is 2.7M below the floor with Gaudreau's cap hit removed. Now that would be for 23 players including a few making the league minimun of 775K, so you would need to add a cap hit of ~3.5M to replace the league minimum contract removed to stay at 23 players and reach the cap floor.

That is assuming that the 2M signing bonus paid to Gaudreau on July 1 does not count against the cap. If it does count against the cap, then the amount to reach the cap floor would only be ~1.5M.

And for those who have brought up the actual money that Columbus needs to pay out, remember that the remainder of Gaudreau's salary for this season appears to be covered by insurance, so Columbus would end up paying out less real money than planned for with Gaudreau. But, of course, the Blue Jackets would much rather have had Gaudreau alive and well, I'm just talking the reality of the number.

In any event, with no exception (and I am unsure about whether one should be granted or not), I believe Columbus would have until their first regular season game to get to the cap floor, which is about a month from now.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think getting to the floor is an issue at all and not likely worth spending much time discussing. The CBJ is 1 player short on their current listed roster, 2 if you don't believe TFW is an NHL player (I do not). That's effectively $3.5MM below the Cap floor with two spots the fill in the forward ranks. That can be filled with a rookie from Cleveland (TFW or some other) and/or a waiver pickup or a small signing or even a trade (which prior to this tragedy GMDW already indicated he was looking to do). While I wouldn't expect any push back on an exemption, I do not expect this will A) be requested and B) required. They'll get to the floor by opening night.

Next year might require a little more work to get there based on the current roster and expected departures. That might actually be a fun off season for a change and maybe even an offer sheet...

Reactions: Fro and squashmaple

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think just trying to improve but expect to be among the bottom of the league would be the goal. try and get the 1st overall pick this or next year. Misa or McGavin would be nice to add

there's no way to replace Johnny Gaudreau. I'm sorry CBJ fans. I hope things turn around and you guys can have a strong playoff team for the next decade or longer.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
It's a CBA issue, which requires PA to signoff if an exception is granted. PA job is to do what is best for their players. With current members without contracts, they'd more likely do not agree to an exception. Because a team that doesn't have the cap room if given the space, may actually use it if they free up cap space and sign other players.

As a whole, players have had to return money to the league, so even if an exception was granted, the players would more than likely owe escrow back to the NHL vs the NHL owing the players money.
I get it from a economic and union point of view. And I agree with you. I still think the PA, in this extreme case, just agrees.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think given their status as a rebuilding team, they won't look to go out and replace Gaudreau. Wonder what the league will ask them to do with regard to the cap floor.

I am just wondering what happens to Gaudreau's contract with regard to his wife and kids and family. Not sure how much protection the families have in these deals. Is the contract void and that's it? Is there an insurance payout coming to Johnny's wife?

That's just me hoping his family is safe and taken care off... and by extension Matthew's family as well. Really nice to see how high that Gofundme has gotten.

Reactions: Toe Pick

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think given their status as a rebuilding team, they won't look to go out and replace Gaudreau. Wonder what the league will ask them to do with regard to the cap floor.

I am just wondering what happens to Gaudreau's contract with regard to his wife and kids and family. Not sure how much protection the families have in these deals. Is the contract void and that's it? Is there an insurance payout coming to Johnny's wife?

That's just me hoping his family is safe and taken care off... and by extension Matthew's family as well. Really nice to see how high that Gofundme has gotten.
Sadly, and this is the reality with insurance companies, everything falls into the details. And Insurance Companies are in the business of making money and they do that by paying out as few claims as possible.

NHL teams carry insurance, which covers hockey related injuries (even to practice, games, training, team organized social events for charity, etc.). So, not sure this would be covered by the insurance company that covers the NHL. Might have to be something Gaudreau and other high end players get for themselves to cover non hockey situations. And then there's a lawsuit that the family likely will file for loss of income against the car insurance company, as I don't think the driver has much to go after.

SB, from what I have seen, Gaudreau was to get $2 mill per in SB, so assuming he was paid his for this season already (again, I think if this is the case, they take the $2 mill cap charge for it and let his widow keep the money), then that's $8 mill left of SB. When the player has no control over the situation, ie. buyout/work stoppage, the SB is paid in full by the team. In this case, I don't think CBJ will be the one responsible for the SB. Would likely fall under the insurance.

Not likely to be a quick resolution (ie, before end of 2024).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If I'm the NHL, I ask them to get to the floor by opening night. If they don't, I'd grant them an exception until December 31st. After that, I guess the standard rules would apply (whatever they are).

Outside of that - I do believe this season is a write-off in the 'winning' sense. At some point I expect one of those 'Fail for Nail' things to begin for whoever becomes the expected #1 pick (No wins for Hagens?), and I wouldn't blame Columbus and their fanbase one bit for latching on to the kind of hope something like that can bring - especially after going through what they are now.
Heh. Heh heh heh.

Lottery luck is not a thing that happens here. Ever.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I don’t understand the fixation on the idea that CBJ should be granted a cap waiver on the basis that it’s either too late, or that they would be forced into a poor bargaining position re: taking on a cap dump.

Free agents exist, you know. And you can pay them whatever you want. Nothing is to stop Columbus from paying a guy like JVR enough on a 1 year contract to make ends meet. Of course, whether that player is actually of a caliber as JVR’s is yet to be seen, but the point remains the same. There is absolutely no obligation here to make a trade, especially one that doesn’t benefit the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad