Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For what it's worth OP, I've been wondering this myself. I think a lot of us have.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything Columbus can do at this point. They don't really have the pieces they'd want to give up in a big game trade. And even if they did, what's available? Their best course of action will likely be to ride out this season and develop their young players while possibly taking on some short term contracts from other teams for a payment come the deadline.

Next year is when they'll be in a better position to make moves.

As for being cap compliant. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the NHL gives them an exception due to the circumstance.
Do not expect CBJ to go big game hunting this year. Maybe next off-season in 2025 they do. thus, they probably don't aim for LTIR players with multiple years remaining.

From Spotrac, they listed Gaudreau with $2 mill in SB each season with the balance in $7.75 salary. Assuming Gaudreau was paid his SB of $2 mill in July, I figure CBJ lets his family keep the money and they take a $2mill cap charge for it. As all money paid to the player is expected to hit the salary cap.

What CBJ does to make up the other $7.75 mill or whatever amount to reach the cap floor, depends on what they wish to do with the money. Pick up LTIR contracts and low cost players to minimize cash spend. Or they opt to try to acquire legit NHLers either via trade or waivers. They have options as they show 42 NHL contracts. As I doubt many players with MNTC would waive to go to CBJ because they know it's going to be emotionally difficult for the team, plus they are not expected to be a good team this season. Thus, waivers may be the way CBJ gets veterans if other clubs are just looking to move on from a player and get nothing back.

Reactions: Indy18 and Dumais

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think the best business move for Columbus is to take on a bloated contract for draft picks. However, this is not the ideal time to do that, as most teams have completely taken care of their teams for the upcoming season. Cap dumps are more optimal for earning back assets near free agency and the deadline.

For example, I could see the CBJs taking on Darnell Nurse at 20% retained for Provorov and getting back a really nice sweetener if Edmonton was offering 2 future 1sts.

Depending on their injuries, I could see Columbus taking on Nichushkin for a big sweetener, if the Avs can't get him cleared from their cap, or Landeskog for a very low price. But that would make more sense after the year is over.

Columbus is in a great position to take on some big assets and take on some risk contractually. That's at least the silver lining of a horrible tragedy. I wish them the best and hope they can become more competitive.
If Edmonton is offering 2 1sts to take nurse, which they wouldn’t, they sure as hell wouldn’t be retaining

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
They said after the Laine trade they were willing to take on a bad contract or two for assets, I'm assuming they will be even more aggressive now in that aspect.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think it is a kind of poor qualification that states: “At the risk of sounding insensitive” as if to say, this loss is secondary to allowing some measure of appropriate time to pass before talking about the seemingly more important issue of noting in a forum before a funeral has taken place, that the Blue Jackets have an “opportunity” to maximize their apparent windfall.

Take a break. Allow time - a completely foreign concept in today’s world - to provide for more important things to take their natural course.

THEN, feel free to talk about possibilities as the season moves on. Heck, let camp get underway first and then talk about possibilities.

As a lifelong hockey fan, who isn’t a BC fan, a Flames fan or a Jackets fan, my hypothetical hockey talk life is full just thinking of the little man’s smile and skill, watching his highlights and distantly, silently sharing in the heartbreak that his loss has brought to me, the incidental fan.

And as an incidental fan, I see zero reasons in which equivocating this profound loss is an opportunity to discuss ways in which it can be maximized.

Here’s a way to measure appropriateness just as a first step:

Has the funeral taken place yet?
I mean if your point here is it's too soon to be discussing this probably avoid the thread that is solely focused on discussing it? Consider it callous or not but the business side continues as if it were just another day and frankly the CBJ front office have probably been discussing this long before OP made this thread

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Just a side bar...I know the NHL draft isn't fixed as much as I would love to see Ernst & Young be put in their place by a major scandal (I am an auditor and I very much dislike their firm due to personal biases)...if it was fixed...this would be a year for finally CBJ to "win" the first overall...just saying...

Reactions: Toe Pick

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
If Landeskog really is healthy I'm sure Nichushkin could be had for very little.

Just a side bar...I know the NHL draft isn't fixed as much as I would love to see Ernst & Young be put in their place by a major scandal (I am an auditor and I very much dislike their firm due to personal biases)...if it was fixed...this would be a year for finally CBJ to "win" the first overall...just saying...

EY is by far the worst of the Big 4. Idiots all of them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If we're just referring to Columbus becoming cap compliant, the easiest solution would be the league asking Uta*h to do them a solid and send Columbus Shea Weber's contract, which I am sure Utah would not entirely be opposed to since they are no longer a cap floor team who need the contract as a buffer.

A big thing you need to consider is that even if Columbus becomes compliant with the floor, they need a buffer over the floor because otherwise they may not be able to make trades in season that move out players without going below the floor.

Weber is only owed 1M in real cash in each of the next two seasons. A portion of that is also apparently covered by insurance.

That seems like the simpler solution than getting the entire league, the NHL, and the NHLPA all on board with allowing Columbus an exemption from the cap floor.

That would also be separate from whatever hockey moves they make. It would put Columbus in a better position to negotiate with other teams, because they wouldn't need a contract to become compliant.
Frankly, I don't want to do Weber simply because there's an extra year involved. I'd much rather we patch things up for this year where necessary and then go into next offseason ready to do major business.

Reactions: Vector and Indy18

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Gaudreau is removed from the Jackets NHL roster and his contract does not count towards the Jackets cap number. As far as the NHL and NHLPA is concerned nothing further needs to be done related to the Salary Cap.
Where did this info come from? I didn't realize there was an announcement from the league and PA regarding cap implications.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Losing Gaudreau to tragedy is obviously going to hurt the locker room and it will take time to fully heal from this.

Roster wise though I don't think the loss does much to change how the Blue Jackets were doing business. With or without Gaudreau they were still a roster that needed a ton of work. Let your elite prospect pool continue to marinate as the guys who have already made it to the show continue to develop into quality NHLers.

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
I'm content to let the league and BOG decide whether the idea of an exemption should be considered. I have my own thoughts, but trying to convince anyone here would be fruitless. Not like we make the call. There is a very human angle to this and it should be discussed.

If it is deemed that the Blue Jackets are required to get to the floor. I agree with a few posters suggesting acquiring a player slated for LTIR. Things will be very emotional in Columbus and I wonder if its wise to bring another individual in that had nothing to do with their specific grief. I have to think it would be awkward. I'm not certain other players would want to be inserted either. Not out of lack of empathy, but rather a sense that this is going to be a tough season.

I tried looking at my own team to see if there was anything that might work. However, the only roster player we have that might work is Poolman for one year at 2.5. He isn't going to play. Though the numbers dont quite line up. CBJ would have to make another roster decision to get over the hump.

FTR: I don't imply that this would for Future Considerations. There would be something extra from Van to account that they are benefitting as well.

There are probably more interesting options for CBJ out there. We'll know more later.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Reactions: Colezuki

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I expect the league is going to go to them/has been talking with them since the news came out. They'll convey deep sympathies, offer a range of support options, but also gently let them know that the floor is still something they will want to eclipse in time. Now I imagine the league will give them a grace period, and not hammer them if on the first day of compliance they're not quite there yet. However, going the full year under the cap floor, happy to stay there, is neither something I expect the CBJ will want to do, nor is it something the league will tolerate either. Those are still the rules and becoming compliant is doubtless everyone's plan. The CBJ have money. They are just in a rebuild, and it just became a hard rebuild due to circumstances outside their control.

I also tend to think the league is collectively looking for creative ways to help them out by getting them over that cap floor threshold. I'm sure the league is encouraging it, but GMs will already be of that same mind on that. Besides, the CBJ were already talking to teams about taking high priced contracts off their hands that didn't really fit in their mixes. Those talks will be accelerating, I'm sure.

They'll figure out a way and no one is going to try to take advantage of this situation.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm content to let the league and BOG decide whether the idea of an exemption should be considered. I have my own thoughts, but trying to convince anyone here would be fruitless. Not like we make the call. There is a very human angle to this and it should be discussed.

If it is deemed that the Blue Jackets are required to get to the floor. I agree with a few posters suggesting acquiring a player slated for LTIR. Things will be very emotional in Columbus and I wonder if its wise to bring another individual in that had nothing to do with their specific grief. I have to think it would be awkward. I'm not certain other players would want to be inserted either. Not out of lack of empathy, but rather a sense that this is going to be a tough season.

I tried looking at my own team to see if there was anything that might work. However, the only roster player we have that might work is Poolman for one year at 2.5. He isn't going to play. Though the numbers dont quite line up. CBJ would have to make another roster decision to get over the hump.

FTR: I don't imply that this would for Future Considerations. There would be something extra from Van to account that they are benefitting as well.

There are probably more interesting options for CBJ out there. We'll know more later.

RIP Johnny and Matthew.
CBJ I think has only 42 contracts used, so they can add multiple LTIR players if needed. Most clubs operate with 47 nhl contracts or more during the season. I don't think by choice most NHLers would want to be dropped into CBJ right now. It would be awkward for them. Maybe just a couple of guys like Saad in STL who played in CBJ and knows Weresnki, Jenner, and other long serving Jacket players might agree to go. But, that list is probably going to be short. Can't say I blame them.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
He absolutely has a choice he could ask out, and under the circumstances I think they would understand and would move him.

I could see him purely staying cause of the kids-his and Johnnys. He wanted his kids to grow up with JG's kids, IIRC

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Surely there's no way the league actually punishes Columbus for being below the cap floor given the circumstances, right?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Surely there's no way the league actually punishes Columbus for being below the cap floor given the circumstances, right?
Jackets can get to the floor. If they don't get assets for an LTIR contract for say a Poolman, Fast, whomever else, that may be the option they have to take to reach the floor. Doubt Van/Car or most other clubs (maybe save for Wash with Backstrom/Oshie as they probably already prepared to operate in LTIR without them), would have no issue just dumping the contract for nothing or a swap of draft picks, say sending out a 3rd to take back a 4th or 5th.

I doubt the NHL allows them to be under the cap floor because they are holding out for a return for taking on a contract. NHL knows that other clubs are or have contacted them even prior to the tragedy about moving a contract to CBJ.

Last edited:

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
They won't obviously, most the people asking about it have something in common; trying to get rid of players on their team. Unless the team is abusing the cap space, I'm sure the league will act reasonable, the PR alone would be a nightmare for the league.

How many people have asked what CBJ needs are? How many have offered up top 6 players (not replacements, just top 6)

Just ... here's a multi year cap dump and some picks....what....no Ty?

This wouldn't even be a question for other fan bases.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
By that logic the NHL should hand picks to teams every time a player gets a career ending injury? They can be handed an exemption for the floor this year, don't see a reason to give them a pick though.

Well no because while career ending injury sucks , one is career ending injury the other is death, not just death but borderline murder, and yes that's what I'm calling it.

They aren't the same thing.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Losing Gaudreau to tragedy is obviously going to hurt the locker room and it will take time to fully heal from this.

Roster wise though I don't think the loss does much to change how the Blue Jackets were doing business. With or without Gaudreau they were still a roster that needed a ton of work. Let your elite prospect pool continue to marinate as the guys who have already made it to the show continue to develop into quality NHLers.
That's what the plan was originally gonna be. This is basically Fantilli's team now that Jarmo is gone and we were going to see which of the kids would make the top 6 as permanent additions (ie Kent Johnson, the Russian Forwards, ect) . Based on how they do start filling in the holes next summer through FA and get another top 5 pick of another C prospect as there are plenty to choose from. Our defense is mostly set for the forseeable future as long as Z is staying long term but we just have 2 elite prospects that need time to cook here.

JG was just a luxury player at this point as we were in a steady 2 year retool with a very stocked prospect pool...the problem is we just lost our best player and the face of our franchise which is more of the emotional side of the game than the performance. I firmly believed this team is better than what people thought it was as I was personally thinking 76-82 points but since this weekend I think 70-76 is more likely now.

Before you all think we are going to crash and burn remember the year we lost Kivi we actually played much stronger than analysis were predicting. We actually were somewhat in the wildcard hunt up until the St. Patrick's Day Massacre of 2022...

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Frankly, I don't want to do Weber simply because there's an extra year involved. I'd much rather we patch things up for this year where necessary and then go into next offseason ready to do major business.

I think it's unlikely that they go from below the cap floor to anywhere close to 8M from the cap ceiling in one season, so other than having to pay out whatever portion of his 1M salary that is not covered by insurance, I can't see it mattering

Unless they already have deals lined up that see them take enough cap in useful players to have a buffer over the floor, I think the second year of the context is justified by the value of using it this season to get a buffer over the cap floor that costs almost nothing in real dollars.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
What does the bluejackets do...?

a question easily ignored by 80% of posters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad