Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
IMO, it might not be a bad idea if CBJ retools for the long term vs fixating on trying to compete or develop for just this year.

As much as the focus on these boards might be for overpaid players, I think CBJ will be looking at character guys who can mentor the young guys for a few years. If the teams galvanizes, then they'll make a playoff run.

Idea wise though I think CBJ focuses on looking for guys who are both good for a development year or a year where everything goes better than planned. No matter what happens, they'll be happy with who they acquire. IMO, I'd keep my eyes out on vets in a bottom 6 role (not necessarily overpaid) that might rejuvenate if given a chance at a bottom 9 role. I don't think it's a good optics or good vibe if they take on cap dumps this season and just straight up throw in the towel.

So I guess maybe they look at cap strapped teams, but not worst contracts on that team. Like attempting to target a 3-5th best player on a team that could use a bigger role as younger guys come up, or will be behind certain strong players for a long time. It would be a in a heavy futures for roster player hockey trade.

Reactions: Viqsi

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Its a business so they shouldnt get a cap floor waiver to start the regular season, for now /camp/pre season ok but once the puck drops for real it should be the same rules for all.

No draft pick either, they gained over 9M of cap space thats way more valuable than any draft pick

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
As much as the focus on these boards might be for overpaid players, I think CBJ will be looking at character guys who can mentor the young guys for a few years. If the teams galvanizes, then they'll make a playoff run.
I get why people keep saying stuff like this, but I feel like the current CBJ vet leadership is kind of underrated. Boone, Werenski, Guddy, Kurls, Johnson. That's one of the few things we're not lacking.

Reactions: Figgy44

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Its a business so they shouldnt get a cap floor waiver to start the regular season, for now /camp/pre season ok but once the puck drops for real it should be the same rules for all.

No draft pick either, they gained over 9M of cap space thats way more valuable than any draft pick
I agree they don't deserve a draft pick.

But I disagree that -- if needed -- some sort of flexibility about the cap floor should not be granted. This is clearly an extenuating circumstance and potentially could be worth of an exception. I don't think you tell a team "tough shit" in a circumstance such as this. Not to mention the potential PR blowback for the league if they did so.

Now, the more I think about it, the less I think that any exemption will be needed. Again, Waddell already said he was talking about adding a player or players so I suspect that's going to happen in the next month whether it's draft picks and a contract or an actual player who can be on the ice.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I get why people keep saying stuff like this, but I feel like the current CBJ vet leadership is kind of underrated. Boone, Werenski, Guddy, Kurls, Johnson. That's one of the few things we're not lacking.

Sorry. Perhaps mentor isn't the best wording, but I mean someone who will actually be around for a few years and can contribute to the improvement on the team. I mainly meant not taking on Josh Anderson, Darnell Nurse type contracts or chasing assets by grabbing a guy who is a locker room problem elsewhere.

Maybe an idea of something like sending a boatload of futures to Utah for Keller, but Utah isn't a cash strapped team. Or perhaps targeting Marner, but I don't totally feel like that's a move that makes sense from both sides roster wise (ignoring cap). Cirelli? I don't have an idea what that type of trade would look like OTOH.

Reactions: Viqsi

SteelCityCannon

Mar 25, 2017
Sorry. Perhaps mentor isn't the best wording, but I mean someone who will actually be around for a few years and can contribute to the improvement on the team. I mainly meant not taking on Josh Anderson, Darnell Nurse type contracts or chasing assets by grabbing a guy who is a locker room problem elsewhere.

Maybe an idea of something like sending a boatload of futures to Utah for Keller, but Utah isn't a cash strapped team. Or perhaps targeting Marner, but I don't totally feel like that's a move that makes sense from both sides roster wise (ignoring cap). Cirelli? I don't have an idea what that type of trade would look like OTOH.
Totally get where your coming from. Keller is, in my opinion, the most underrated player in the league. As much as Id love that Utah should build around him.

Reactions: Figgy44

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
With a 22 man roster they're 2.7 million under the floor. They need to trade for someone to get over, unless there's a UFA I'm missing who's worth 2.7 still out there?

edit: all these comments saying to do nothing, they are literally under the floor. They need to make a move.
A lot of people are suggesting that they should have an exemption.

I have to agree. They were cap compliant and they should not be forced into taking a contract for free when they would have been paid for it.

I imagine by mid to late season they will be compliant when taking on some dumps.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It’s going to be an extremely rough season for CBJ… such a tragedy that happened and it will be extremely emotional for the players, management and fans every second of every day… and also there are going to be a lot of losses and it will be a very frustrating and sad season for all the players.

The CBJ roster already looked rough and now after this nightmare situation, the roster obviously looks even worse.

I really don’t know what is gonna happen this season for them.

I would imagine the league will figure something out for them as far as an exception goes for the whole cap floor situation

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A lot of people are suggesting that they should have an exemption.

I have to agree. They were cap compliant and they should not be forced into taking a contract for free when they would have been paid for it.

I imagine by mid to late season they will be compliant when taking on some dumps.
Exactly. They should have the freedom to make a move that they want to make rather than being forced to just accept something to simply hit the floor, which was a requirement they were well above before this tragedy.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Feels like this will be a “go with the flow” year for Columbus. Hopefully the NHL grants a cap exemption that will allow them to operate slightly under the cap floor (for this season). They were unlikely to make a push as a playoff team prior to this incident so I don’t think much has changed.

Let’s not forget that not only did the Gaudreau family suffer a great loss. Columbus also lost a coworker, a brother, a friend and a mentor. This season will be full of emotions

Last edited:

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
I have a weird feeling like they might surprise some people.

Sometimes tragedy can really bring a group tighter together. They lose Laine as well but they have a very strong group on the back end.

The problem for them will be scoring goals. Has to be some teams out there’s looking to create cap
Space.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I wonder if they will get any compensatory draft picks.

I know the Rangers did when Cherapanov died

The Leafs didn't when Amirov died.

There is no precedent set.

In both cases those were prospects.

In this case It's an established player.

I wonder if that makes it different.

The Jackets should get something
Don't want to be insensitive but the difference would be assets used.

CBJ did not have to use any assets to acquire Gaudreau. They acquired him for free as a UFA.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
They will be developing for a few years again. Just no way around it that roster looks like one of the worst in the east with the loss of Laine and Gaudreau (rip).

Couldn't disagree more. Johnny will be a huge hole for sure but I like their young mix up front and some of the players on the blue line.

Thought both them and the Flyers were ready to surprise and challenge for playoff spots - provided the goaltending held up.

Obviously there is no one player to replace the productivity and contributions of Gaudreau.

But some of the young forwards like Brindley as well as some of the players who enjoyed success in Cleveland last year could possibly step into a role with the Jackets this year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
For the right price I know another 115 pt scorer that CBJ can have.
Craig Conroy is waiting by his phone for your call.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think the best business move for Columbus is to take on a bloated contract for draft picks. However, this is not the ideal time to do that, as most teams have completely taken care of their teams for the upcoming season. Cap dumps are more optimal for earning back assets near free agency and the deadline.

For example, I could see the CBJs taking on Darnell Nurse at 20% retained for Provorov and getting back a really nice sweetener if Edmonton was offering 2 future 1sts.

Depending on their injuries, I could see Columbus taking on Nichushkin for a big sweetener, if the Avs can't get him cleared from their cap, or Landeskog for a very low price. But that would make more sense after the year is over.

Columbus is in a great position to take on some big assets and take on some risk contractually. That's at least the silver lining of a horrible tragedy. I wish them the best and hope they can become more competitive.
There's absolutely no reason to take on a boat-anchor long-term contract to get to the cap floor for a single season. It's less than 3 million.

Reactions: Viqsi and Indy18

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
With Fast reportedly out for the year, you could trade future considerations for him and you’re cap compliant. Or offer 3 million to one of the remaining free agents

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
C'mon people - one of the last things they are going to do is trade Jiricek.

It will be a rebuilding year for them, which probably would've been the case with Gaudreau. The league should grant them an exception for the salary cap floor, but the team should also be active in taking on a cap dump or two if the assets tied to it are worth it and/or sign a decent UFA vet - the standard stuff for a team that's still in the midst of a rebuild and has plenty of cap space.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I wonder if they will get any compensatory draft picks.

I know the Rangers did when Cherapanov died

The Leafs didn't when Amirov died.

There is no precedent set.

In both cases those were prospects.

In this case It's an established player.

I wonder if that makes it different.

The Jackets should get something
They should not get any compensatory picks and probably no cap floor relief, Although I would be in favour of having any additional (not legally required) payments to the family count as cap this year.

Johnny hockey was seemingly a very good guy and what happened to him and his brother was a tragedy.

That being said, his on ice performance the last two years was below his cap value. I'm aware that this is not going to be a popular statement but it is absolutely true. The Blue Jackets get his salary cap back and potentially have the opportunity to spend it wisely in the future.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011

Alright, Mr insensitive. Calm down. The cap floor is there for teams to not purposely field a weak non-competitive roster to save money.

CBJs cap floor is the result of a tragedy. Not cap circumvention. Which means they'll probably be excused for not being compliant and even if NHL wanted to force them it would result in a PR nightmare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad