Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They should not get any compensatory picks and probably no cap floor relief, Although I would be in favour of having any additional (not legally required) payments to the family count as cap this year.

Johnny hockey was seemingly a very good guy and what happened to him and his brother was a tragedy.

That being said, his on ice performance the last two years was below his cap value. I'm aware that this is not going to be a popular statement but it is absolutely true. The Blue Jackets get his salary cap back and potentially have the opportunity to spend it wisely in the future.

They should at least get cap floor relief there is one reason they are below the the cap floor and they have no control over that.

It's not their fault.

Its a business so they shouldnt get a cap floor waiver to start the regular season, for now /camp/pre season ok but once the puck drops for real it should be the same rules for all.

No draft pick either, they gained over 9M of cap space thats way more valuable than any draft pick

But the reason they are below the cap floor is not their fault, they have no control over that

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Where does Gavin Brindley fit in the mix?
Cleveland...most likely they will want him to cook with 1st line minutes there.

Also just FYI don't be that person who wants to "help Columbus" by dumping your extremely anchor contracts here or our prime prospects like Jiricek. At least try to be reasonable with your offers. We are not taking Anderson, we are not taking Nurse, ect. Basically the next 2-3 years is to let the kids cook, see which of the kids can fit into a top 6 role, probably get 2 more top 5 picks and build a team around Fantilli. We are not going to take your 6-7 year remaing regret contracts. At worse I see us taking a cap dump with less than 2 or less years remaining unless its an aging vet who has an extremely good locker room presence. Like the only 3+ year contract I could see us viably taking is Freddy Gaurdreaus because of his relationship to Evason, he's a right handed center which our team could use and push Kuraly to the LW.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Its a business so they shouldnt get a cap floor waiver to start the regular season, for now /camp/pre season ok but once the puck drops for real it should be the same rules for all.

No draft pick either, they gained over 9M of cap space thats way more valuable than any draft pick
Would say Johnny and his brother alive would be more valuable

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
From a pure roster construction POV, I doubt they have enough expectations to compete that they’d have to urgently fill a skill role. Seems like a long term hole that will be filled by gradual internal growth.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If we're just referring to Columbus becoming cap compliant, the easiest solution would be the league asking Uta*h to do them a solid and send Columbus Shea Weber's contract, which I am sure Utah would not entirely be opposed to since they are no longer a cap floor team who need the contract as a buffer.

A big thing you need to consider is that even if Columbus becomes compliant with the floor, they need a buffer over the floor because otherwise they may not be able to make trades in season that move out players without going below the floor.

Weber is only owed 1M in real cash in each of the next two seasons. A portion of that is also apparently covered by insurance.

That seems like the simpler solution than getting the entire league, the NHL, and the NHLPA all on board with allowing Columbus an exemption from the cap floor.

That would also be separate from whatever hockey moves they make. It would put Columbus in a better position to negotiate with other teams, because they wouldn't need a contract to become compliant.

Reactions: rsteen

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
It's a terrible tragedy, and very unfortunate for the Blue Jackets organization.

As it sits right now, they are below the Salary Cap floor. Will the league hold them to the Salary Cap floor requirement, or give them an exception?

If the league holds them to the floor rule, what transactions, or taking on LTIR players will they do, to reach the Salary cap floor?

Monahan signed with Columbus, to play with one of "his best friends" in Gaudreau. Will he still want to be there?

The cap hit is removed, they are below the Cap floor. As far as what happens.... stay tuned, nobody knows yet, but probably have to reach the Cap floor, unless an exemption is granted.

I feel like they have to grant an exception. There is no player available worth a Johnny Hockey cap hit at this point that wouldn't also carry a ludicrous pick package. It clearly wasn't Columbus's choice to lose Gaudreau off their roster.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
If we're just referring to Columbus becoming cap compliant, the easiest solution would be the league asking Uta*h to do them a solid and send Columbus Shea Weber's contract, which I am sure Utah would not entirely be opposed to since they are no longer a cap floor team who need the contract as a buffer.

A big thing you need to consider is that even if Columbus becomes compliant with the floor, they need a buffer over the floor because otherwise they may not be able to make trades in season that move out players without going below the floor.

Weber is only owed 1M in real cash in each of the next two seasons. A portion of that is also apparently covered by insurance.

That seems like the simpler solution than getting the entire league, the NHL, and the NHLPA all on board with allowing Columbus an exemption from the cap floor.

That would also be separate from whatever hockey moves they make. It would put Columbus in a better position to negotiate with other teams, because they wouldn't need a contract to become compliant.
Yeah there are many many options and even the Weber cheat code was considered in our own sub. Waddell was already looking for a top 9 forward anyways and we know there are atleast 2 deals on the table (after the Laine trade Waddell openly stated two teams contacted him about cap dumps). After yesterday even Waddell looked like a broken man, he tried to take questions but felt like he cut them off after only taking two questions and probably prepping for next monday.

This time next week we are probably going to see more action from Columbus with transactional moves before camp starts in like 2 weeks,

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Would say Johnny and his brother alive would be more valuable

It goes without saying that Johnny and his brother being alive would be a better thing. For their family, for the Blue Jackets, for the world.

But as a response to the question of whether the Jackets should get compensation it's kind of an emotional cheap shot.

Johnny was signed as a free agent. Getting the cap space back is the compensation from a hockey business perspective.

His brother, while being an equally tragic loss, is not relevant to potential Blue Jackets compensation.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
My assumption is the league will not force the CBJ to add a contract to get to the cap floor before the start of the season. I think Waddell will be given some flexibility, but I expect to see a potential add at the trade deadline and then use next season to fill in some bigger roster holes, like the massive one on the 1st line.

Anyone who wants to be hardlined on this does not understand how hard it is to make some of the deals and how this tragedy changed the overall roster construction of the team.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
They probably just give their young players more opportunities, and could use the extra cap space they have (very sadly) been given by this tragedy to acquire assets at the deadline. Take on some bad contracts here and there for high picks and prospects sort of thing.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Almost 26M in cap space..........you would think they are in great shape to take on a bad contract and a 1st round pick to do so............and they can do it a couple of times.....

Still shocked as to what happened to Johnny hockey.
Feel bad for the team and the fans.....beyond tough situation.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
They probably just give their young players more opportunities, and could use the extra cap space they have (very sadly) been given by this tragedy to acquire assets at the deadline. Take on some bad contracts here and there for high picks and prospects sort of thing.
Why do people keep saying this? Why does CBJ need to take on bad contracts? Bad contracts aren't playing in the top 6, more draft picks attached to a cap dump isn't a need. Unless a young top 6 forward or multiple 1st; I can't find a reason/need for CBJ to take on a cap dump. Going to need that space for the next few years to bring in a FA or for a big trade.

EDIT : Multi year bad contracts = CBJ shouldn't be active at the deadline or during next years FA; take these draft picks instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and Indy18

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
They will continue on doing what they have done in the past several years, tank and draft high. That's pretty much all they can do at this point after this tragic loss and shipping out Laine. This is not their year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This year they should maximize their cap space somehow targeting cap strapped GMs.
NHL should compensate with maybe the 33rdOA pick going to CBJ

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
If the Gaudreau contract is still paid out through insurance then there should be no issue. I don't see why that wouldn't be treated as LTIR.

If the Gaudreau contract is not paid out then I don't see why the NHLPA won't give an exception given the tragedy. The league/owners won't cause a fuss because there's no benefit to them to cause a fuss over this.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way at all but the GM's approach is going to have to be as if you lost a player to free agency and gained that cap space.

I think out of respect for the family and Johnny himself they probably won't make a move just yet, but expect them to try and acquire a player at some point by the middle of October.

Or may be it's just a development year and they keep that cap space to acquire draft picks + prospects along with cap dumps at the deadline.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Why do people keep saying this? Why does CBJ need to take on bad contracts? Bad contracts aren't playing in the top 6, more draft picks attached to a cap dump isn't a need. Unless a young top 6 forward or multiple 1st; I can't find a reason/need for CBJ to take on a cap dump. Going to need that space for the next few years to bring in a FA or for a big trade.

EDIT : Multi year bad contracts = CBJ shouldn't be active at the deadline or during next years FA; take these draft picks instead.
Just like we found out over the weekend with the Habs fanbase with their Hockey News writer, radio shows and clickbait media...they see this as a way to dump their regret contracts and their fans feel like they have an out to get rid of bad money by taking advantage of a bad situation here. That's why we already saw in this thread names like Huberdeau, Anderson and Nurse already been thrown around...they are just trying to help those poor poor Blue Jackets but really they see an opportunity to throw their anchors onto another boat...usually without the compensation that is required to take heavy long term lifts because we still need to hit the cap floor as like that is the only way of meeting about 3mil.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If the Gaudreau contract is still paid out through insurance then there should be no issue. I don't see why that wouldn't be treated as LTIR.

If the Gaudreau contract is not paid out then I don't see why the NHLPA won't give an exception given the tragedy. The league/owners won't cause a fuss because there's no benefit to them to cause a fuss over this.
His contract is removed and the Jackets are now sitting at a Cap of $62.3M leaving them $2.7 M below the cap floor. Nothing further is needed except a move(s) that results in the Jackets increasing their cap payroll from $62.3M to a minimum of $65M

The $ settlement of the contract obligation is between the Jackets and the family.

Reactions: Indy18

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
His contract is removed and the Jackets are now sitting at a Cap of $62.3M leaving them $2.7 M below the cap floor. Nothing further is needed except a move(s) that results in the Jackets increasing their cap payroll from $62.3M to a minimum of $65M

The $ settlement of the contract obligation is between the Jackets and the family.
When you say it's removed - what do you mean?

The settlement could very well satisfy the delta from the NHLPA point of view.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
This absolutely  could be a rallying point for the team. My question would be, is it sustainable?
This tragic event is going to mature some of these young guys who may have yet to give death a thought. Life is hard and not guaranteed, I better get to work! I’ve believed there was some immaturity on this squad and rightfully so as they are kids for the most part. Most of them havnt suffered through this kind of thing yet. These situations can wake you up, ruin you or further your maturity depending on your age. Its a hard, bitter lesson. I wish this hadn't happened but...

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
For what it's worth OP, I've been wondering this myself. I think a lot of us have.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything Columbus can do at this point. They don't really have the pieces they'd want to give up in a big game trade. And even if they did, what's available? Their best course of action will likely be to ride out this season and develop their young players while possibly taking on some short term contracts from other teams for a payment come the deadline.

Next year is when they'll be in a better position to make moves.

As for being cap compliant. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the NHL gives them an exception due to the circumstance.

Reactions: Vector and CanMerc

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I don't mean this in a disrespectful way at all but the GM's approach is going to have to be as if you lost a player to free agency and gained that cap space.
I agree, like when the flames went out and got Huberdeau after Gaudreau left.
Or may be it's just a development year and they keep that cap space to acquire draft picks + prospects along with cap dumps at the deadline.
Kinda like if the Flames GM went looking for cap dumps and draft picks after Gaudreau instead of trying to replace him with Huberdeau.

And that is what people are trading for with CBJ's cap space, a chance for CBJ to get a good player via trade/FA or get picks when CBJ has a top 5 prospect pool. Cap space is more valuable than people think. Especially to a team that has been at the bottom of the league for 3-4 years.

People are shallow as mud puddles.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
When you say it's removed - what do you mean?

The settlement could very well satisfy the delta from the NHLPA point of view.
Gaudreau is removed from the Jackets NHL roster and his contract does not count towards the Jackets cap number. As far as the NHL and NHLPA is concerned nothing further needs to be done related to the Salary Cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad