Speculation: Sorry to be the one to ask, but what do the Blue Jackets do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wonder if they will get any compensatory draft picks.

I know the Rangers did when Cherapanov died

The Leafs didn't when Amirov died.

There is no precedent set.

In both cases those were prospects.

[/plaschkegraphs]

The precedent was that Toronto had signed Amirov to an ELC whereas the Rangers hadn't signed Cherepanov. So the latter was treated as a case where the team was unable to sign their first round pick and were given a compensatory second round pick like Kevin Hayes or recently Jay O'Brien. The CBA doesn't outline the reason for why the team didn't sign the player. In Hayes' case he didn't want to sign whereas the Flyers decided they'd rather have the pick instead of O'Brien (they were required to have offered him an ELC at some point after drafting him), or in the Rangers case where Cherepanov passed away.

Reactions: uncleben and Viqsi

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
After the funeral CBJ has to get back to business. A simple LTIR cap transaction will be all they need. There is no replacing him though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wasn't expecting them to be very good this year, but a tragedy like this may galvanize the team and help them overachieve. I doubt it, but it could happen. More than likely they are mediocre/bad which is probably the best thing near term for the franchise. Try to get a franchise talent in Hagens and keep making progress as an organization.

Reactions: kevistar

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
A top-5 pick, an asset for moving Provorov at teh deadline... unfortunately that's what looks to be in the cards. But I am hoping the team rallies behind the tragedy like Vegas did with the shooting just before their season opened.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023

In this case It's an established player.

I wonder if that makes it different.

The Jackets should get something
Why?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think they simply have to stay the course. Use this year as a development year, as was to be expected. Maybe things come together for a great season, but if not, then pick up assets for the future in the next draft. Focus on Fantilli and Lindstrom.

I do hope they're given an exemption around cap floor requirements. They shouldn't be forced into making a bad move this year. Next year, sure, reimpose the same requirement.

Reactions: CanMerc

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
With a 22 man roster they're 2.7 million under the floor. They need to trade for someone to get over, unless there's a UFA I'm missing who's worth 2.7 still out there?

edit: all these comments saying to do nothing, they are literally under the floor. They need to make a move.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
With a 22 man roster they're 2.7 million under the floor. They need to trade for someone to get over, unless there's a UFA I'm missing who's worth 2.7 still out there?
Could overpay someone like Pacioretty, on a one year deal, to get above the floor, but that seems counterproductive.
I, personally, don’t think there should be any type of draft compensation given to CBJ, but I could see them being given a cap floor waiver for this year.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
They shouldn't try to make a big trade. Their in a bad spot, end of FA, not alot of assests to trade, other teams already done trading and ready to go. Likely an overpayment to get someone now.

IMO they should sign someone like JVR to get to the cap floor and have someone that can play top6 minutes. Doesn't have to be him, but someone in the 40ish point range that has played in the top 6 before. They should also add a bottom 6 that would provide them with depth.

Won't take long before CBJ starts calling up AHLers (due to injuries) if they don't get somebody before the start of the season.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

In this case It's an established player.

I wonder if that makes it different.

The Jackets should get something
Gaudreau wasn't a prospect. What does this have to do with anything? Zero chance, none whatsoever, that they're receiving compensation in terms of draft picks. None at all.

Jun 15, 2007
Would the Jackets be obligated to take on cap "for free".

I think they'll get an exception, but if it turned into that it would be monumentally f***ed up.
There are many good players out there who are overpaid by a bit that their teams would love to give up. We’re not talking about albatrosses here, just good players overpaid by a million or two.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Much like life in general.
They definitely shouldn’t get draft compensation, but I think they should be given a cap floor waiver so they don’t have to worry about complying this year…or maybe even next year also.

That would be acceptable too.

They should get something

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Often teams can rally around this and surprise people. They might have a few young guys step up and still compete for a WC. They could use the cap to take on a bad contract and get some additional young assets that fit their timeline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There are some very easy solutions but I think they have the ability to be more selective than what we think.

I have no doubt they could get someone like Joel Armia for future considerations. I bet they could get quite the steal on Josh Norris. I bet Toronto might pay for them to take Kampf so they can sign Robertson. They could sign JVR, Patches, etc or dare I even say, they could try to bring RyJo back. The Penguins have collected plenty of extra guys that they could give up for nothing - Eller, Acciari, Hayes, etc.

I think they look to teams who are willing to pay for them to take someone for cap relief. Maybe like Kane from Edmonton.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I think they sign JVR or Patches to get above the cap. I dont think a signing will be announced until camp though
This is what I've been thinking, bring in some experienced veteran leadership, even if you have overpay, we have the space and it'll only be for a year or two
Blues offering up Kyrou for Jiricek.
No. We're not trading Jiricek. This isn't a situation for a big major trade. We simply need a cap dump, we're not interested in trading away any of our younger assets that are still developing. We have 0 incentives to move any of them.

Reactions: Ol' Jase and Viqsi

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked to see the team come together and compete. with that said, options are kinda' out of their hands right now. It's one of those "wait to see how your team responds and what type of season you're going to get" before doing any major decisions.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
In my humble opinion, Columbus is a team that have underperformed this past few years.

When we look at their roster, it's not bottom 5 or bottom 3 in the NHL.

I'm a Habs fan and last year, MTL had a much more depleted roster but still managed to do better.

The death of Gaudreau is sad, very sad.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it comes down to being a big motivation factor for the team.
Watch for them to, instead of having a subpar year, overachieve and actually make the playoffs, or fall short by just a little.

Plus they're under the salary cap floor, so they could acquire a good player from a cap strapped team.

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the best business move for Columbus is to take on a bloated contract for draft picks. However, this is not the ideal time to do that, as most teams have completely taken care of their teams for the upcoming season. Cap dumps are more optimal for earning back assets near free agency and the deadline.

For example, I could see the CBJs taking on Darnell Nurse at 20% retained for Provorov and getting back a really nice sweetener if Edmonton was offering 2 future 1sts.

Depending on their injuries, I could see Columbus taking on Nichushkin for a big sweetener, if the Avs can't get him cleared from their cap, or Landeskog for a very low price. But that would make more sense after the year is over.

Columbus is in a great position to take on some big assets and take on some risk contractually. That's at least the silver lining of a horrible tragedy. I wish them the best and hope they can become more competitive.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad