Social Media Septic Tank Thread

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
But still, first Comcast would have to sell. Idk, I just find it hard to see that happening, especially after bringing in that new guy Hilferty or whatever

Hilferty may very well have been hired expressly for this fight, actually.

The Sixers want out of the arena and have the capital to build their own. If they succeed, they annihilate the value of Comcast Spectacor's most lucrative real estate holding. So people associated with the Sixers ownership group have far, far more leverage against Comcast than any random buyer.

Now, who knows if that would mean Adelman stepping out on his own or the entire HBSE group buying the team, but I think you can game theory your way to HBSE buying the team/arena as the only logical play for them, unless Adelamn would be buying separately but with a handshake deal in place with his former partners at HBSE regarding arena development.

Again, doesn't mean anything comes of it, but this isn't ho-hum for Comcast. There are real considerations here. Adelman, minority owner of a rival team and the Flyers' NBA tenant, is not having that conversation and posing in that photo for shits and giggles.

We're very early in this saga. But I'm very excited to see what comes of it.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Kimmo ripped into ownership pretty hard after the Giroux fiasco in an interview. He's not a dummy. Doesn't he own or part own a team nowadays? How's that squad doing? I was trying to Google but came up empty, maybe I'm getting him confused.

Anyway, I have nothing to go with on Forsberg other than speculation. But I will say he played against Yzerman and literally with Sakic; it wouldn't be crazy to think he has similar ideas on how to win. He played on an Avs team ahead of its time where modern speed and skill were truly featured. So did Yzerman. It adds up, but it also feels like grasping for straws.
Don't him and Hartnell co-own a team?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Hilferty may very well have been hired expressly for this fight, actually.

The Sixers want out of the arena and have the capital to build their own. If they succeed, they annihilate the value of Comcast Spectacor's most lucrative real estate holding. So people associated with the Sixers ownership group have far, far more leverage against Comcast than any random buyer.

Now, who knows if that would mean Adelman stepping out on his own or the entire HBSE group buying the team, but I think you can game theory your way to HBSE buying the team/arena as the only logical play for them, unless Adelamn would be buying separately but with a handshake deal in place with his former partners at HBSE regarding arena development.

Again, doesn't mean anything comes of it, but this isn't ho-hum for Comcast. There are real considerations here. Adelman, minority owner of a rival team and the Flyers' NBA tenant, is not having that conversation and posing in that photo for shits and giggles.

We're very early in this saga. But I'm very excited to see what comes of it.
I guess it all hinges on Chinatown. And not the poster

Don't him and Hartnell co-own a team?
I really thought so. I spent an entire poop googling it but came up empty.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I guess it all hinges on Chinatown. And not the poster

If it actually does. The Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corp. is the group leading the charge against it. They have a lot of sponsors, and who knows how much investment they all provide, though Comcast Spectacor is indeed among them. By no means am I saying that's absolutely what's happening in that situation, but as the Sixers get more serious you'll see a lot of that. Companies gin up proxy wars all the time, and I have no doubt in my mind that some Spectacor-backed fish group would raise objections if the Sixers said they were gonna build a floating arena in the middle of the Delaware.

Last edited:
Reactions: GapToothedWonder

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
The Flyers have been Briere's boss for most of the last 15 years. They've been his livelihood, he's literally a company man. Timonen and Forsberg have not worked for the Flyers since their playing days, and are independently successful Scandinavian hockey and non-hockey businessdudes in their own right. It's not a comparable situation man.

Besides, you're talking primarily about HBSE in terms of ultimate control and direction. Have they not shown a willingness to let their teams rebuild correctly for the modern game, and then spend money when necessary? Are the Sixers good? Do you think they'd allow the Devils to rebuild the way they did and then turn around and buy another team then mortgage its future and stock it full of gorillas, both in management and on the ice? A PROCESS that develops homegrown superstars until the team's in a position to spend big on outside talent? Are these not the things the Sixers and Devils have done, and pretty much what we're looking for?
I posted about this elsewhere, but it was lost in the cascading stupidity about drunken failsons wheelchair tossing... Take it with plenty of skepticism, as it rightfully deserves lots, but this was discussed on the Broadstreet podcast this week. Charlie was saying from the Comcast perspective, Briere is not one of the country club flyers crew with Clarke, Barber, and the like. From their perspective, he is a Comcast guy. He is under their wing, and has worked for them longer. His time directly in this mess with Clarke's incompetent nepotism brigade is relatively recent.

Comcast hired him to run the ECHL team that they owned that had no connection to the flyers. He ran that team under them with other hockey people. When he was doing his education in business school and such, it was under the mentorship of the Comcast people, not Clarke's nepotism brigade.

Not saying it's true, or that it's going to happen, but there is some belief that the new guys up top want real changes and they see Briere as THEIR guy to sweep out some of the shit.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Besides, you're talking primarily about HBSE in terms of ultimate control and direction. Have they not shown a willingness to let their teams rebuild correctly for the modern game, and then spend money when necessary? Are the Sixers good? Do you think they'd allow the Devils to rebuild the way they did and then turn around and buy another team then mortgage its future and stock it full of gorillas, both in management and on the ice? A PROCESS that develops homegrown superstars until the team's in a position to spend big on outside talent? Are these not the things the Sixers and Devils have done, and pretty much what we're looking for?

I think what happens is that Josh Harris gets in front of a microphone with vegetables in his teeth to meander through tepid answers and that becomes the memory.

HBSE would be a godsend. Someone other than Harris should do the talking. But if they’re doing the hiring, it will work out well enough.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I posted about this elsewhere, but it was lost in the cascading stupidity about drunken failsons wheelchair tossing... Take it with plenty of skepticism, as it rightfully deserves lots, but this was discussed on the Broadstreet podcast this week. Charlie was saying from the Comcast perspective, Briere is not one of the country club flyers crew with Clarke, Barber, and the like. From their perspective, he is a Comcast guy. He is under their wing, and has worked for them longer. His time directly in this mess with Clarke's incompetent nepotism brigade is relatively recent.

Comcast hired him to run the ECHL team that they owned that had no connection to the flyers. He ran that team under them with other hockey people. When he was doing his education in business school and such, it was under the mentorship of the Comcast people, not Clarke's nepotism brigade.

Not saying it's true, or that it's going to happen, but there is some belief that the new guys up top want real changes and they see Briere as THEIR guy to sweep out some of the shit.
Hmmm

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I think what happens is that Josh Harris gets in front of a microphone with vegetables in his teeth to meander through tepid answers and that becomes the memory.

HBSE would be a godsend. Someone other than Harris should do the talking. But if they’re doing the hiring, it will work out well enough.
I would agree.

Also to a point unrelated to this post- I remember someone concerned about the Devils as essentially a conflict of interest. I would call bollucks on that simply because these guys want to win/make money. The goal in HBSE's eyes would be for both NJD and the Flyers to be great.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I would agree.

Also to a point unrelated to this post- I remember someone concerned about the Devils as essentially a conflict of interest. I would call bollucks on that simply because these guys want to win/make money. The goal in HBSE's eyes would be for both NJD and the Flyers to be great.

We have no idea who would own the team, but I can tell you for sure that private equity firms can own up to 20% of up to 5 different NHL teams. This went into effect in Dec ‘21. The NBA has the same rule.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
We have no idea who would own the team, but I can tell you for sure that private equity firms can own up to 20% of up to 5 different NHL teams. This went into effect in Dec ‘21. The NBA has the same rule.

Meaning it would be a very complicated deal where either they mostly-divest from the Devils or only buy a slice of the Flyers. But I don't think they'd only buy a small slice of the Flyers, because the real estate/arena issue is probably the driving consideration for them. Guys didn't get where they are by figuring out how to kill single birds with single stones.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There’s also the matter that “no one” is likely to buy the Devils without Prudential Center in the deal and that was the main reason Harris bought them in the first place so he’s not giving that up.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
There’s also the matter that “no one” is likely to buy the Devils without Prudential Center in the deal and that was the main reason Harris bought them in the first place so he’s not giving that up.

I believe Newark Housing Authority owns Prudential and HBSE only owns the rights to operate it. Not sure what that means, could be wrong. And they could likely maintain operating rights on the arena without owning the majority of its NHL tenant, I assume.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The wording used around this fun sport is so bizarre. Every trade in the NHL is a hockey trade. That’s the sport they play lol. I very deal is a hockey deal. What are we doing DP? What? Are? We? Doing?
Yes and no. Is Weber to Arizona really a hockey trade? I could see it if the Coyotes do this in isolation or only occasionally, but their logo should be the recycling arrows.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Not Flyers related but can I come bearing a gift from the Hershey Bears fan group on Facebook?

Screenshot_20230317-205021_Facebook.jpg

For the uninitiated (which is probably everyone else):
Screenshot_20230317-211133_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20230317-211214_Samsung Internet.jpg

This guy also commented on another post the other day with the opinion that grit is better and more important than skill

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Gotta remember Finland fought the Soviets in 40, lost a little territory. Fought with Nazis against the Soviets in 41-42, regained the lost territory and more or less stopped fighting in 43. Their ski troops scared the crap out of Soviets. Finns are not stupid,just very pragmatic. But in the end lost territory and we’re considered allies of Nazi Germany.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad