Social Media Septic Tank Thread

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I'm sorry but that is so vastly incorrect. I suppose it's true if you only listen to crap on the radio. Perhaps what you wrote is sarcasm though.

Ha.

Emo music is bad, so woefully bad. Emo music is essentially pop country for 14 year old boys. In terms of actual musicality there's little to nothing of note worthiness. Emphasis on "note".

• Haha
Reactions: Amorgus

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Emo/pop punk music was a phase that you enjoyed in high school for a year or two then you grow up and realize it's hilariously bad. It's basically the Nu-Metal of the kids who graduated in the mid-late 2000's.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'm sorry but that is so vastly incorrect. I suppose it's true if you only listen to crap on the radio. Perhaps what you wrote is sarcasm though.

Emo music sucks. Period.

I agree that emo music sucks. I also know that there are only a handful of bands from my lifetime that made/make music that gets my dick remotely hard. Basically every dominant rawk sound after punk and new wave has been increasingly sexless vanity. Hair metal is ass. Most non-hair metal is ass. Grunge is ass. Pop punk is ass. Emo is ass. Post-punk is ass. Math rock is ass.

Of course there are outliers here and there: a couple half-decent indie bands, some of what came to be called "alt.-country" was tight, less so for "alternative" (but I had my REM phase), and there are even a couple of more modern punk bands that have understood the thing. On the whole though, nothing doing. You cobble together the few that do it for you, but then you're just an "eclectic," lacking the cohesion and sense of community you get from embracing a specific sound or scene.

I don't begrudge anyone for what they like. Used to, but now I don't. Know some people who are real into their emo bands, and that's cool for them. It was what was happening when we were young, they were the bands you could go see with your friends, and it's no less worthy than some of the garbage I shovel into my own brain.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't begrudge anyone for what they like. Used to, but now I don't. Know some people who are real into their emo bands, and that's cool for them. It was what was happening when we were young, they were the bands you could go see with your friends, and it's no less worthy than some of the garbage I shovel into my own brain.

Well you specifically said there was no guitar worthy music out there. I'm telling you that's not even remotely correct. At a minimum I can name a dozen guitarists right now that are virtuosos in different genres (metal, bluegrass, jam bands, flamenco/jazz style).

Emo music typically follows the trend of boring chord structures with very simplistic guitar playing. You can even throw out all the music theory that makes a lot of previous generation music that much better.

The music that was on the radio in the 1970s compared to today is so wildly different in terms of technical playing/quality. The music industry knows how to sell something to the average user and it's really not debatable that popular music is worse than say 50 years ago. Plenty of notable music people like Rick Beato have covered this.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean, it's the appropriate age to have grown up as a BIG EMO FAN.

(because there hasn't been a single trend of guitar music worth a shit since like 1977)

Yes, but you're supposed to grow out of emo music and move on lol

I was into it from 2003-2007 (age 18-22 for me). Went to Warped Tour 5 years in a row and had a good time. Saw My Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, etc. in concert during that stretch. Then I discovered the indie rock scene and also started diving deeper into classic rock, and haven't gone back to emo since.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

I was into it from 2003-2007 (age 18-22 for me). Went to Warped Tour 5 years in a row and had a good time. Saw My Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, etc. in concert during that stretch. Then I discovered the indie rock scene and also started diving deeper into classic rock, and haven't gone back to emo since.
No.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Well you specifically said there was no guitar worthy music out there. I'm telling you that's not even remotely correct. At a minimum I can name a dozen guitarists right now that are virtuosos in different genres (metal, bluegrass, jam bands, flamenco/jazz style).

Emo music typically follows the trend of boring chord structures with very simplistic guitar playing. You can even throw out all the music theory that makes a lot of previous generation music that much better.

The music that was on the radio in the 1970s compared to today is so wildly different in terms of technical playing/quality. The music industry knows how to sell something to the average user and it's really not debatable that popular music is worth than say 50 years ago. Plenty of notable music people like Rick Beato have covered this.

Ah, see, when I say "guitar music" I was just kinda waving my hands at the generally accepted "rock" and "country" lanes (contrasting with, say, rap and r&b music, which yes, can also involve guitars). People like movements. People like scenes. For better or for worse, that existed with emo. Eras, regions, things to associate with, things to debate. That's cool. People like that.

I don't give much a shit about virtuosity, or radios, for that matter—and the average listener doesn't, either. I like Leo Kottke. Richard Thompson is a sick player. But Bo Diddley is probably my favorite guitarist ever, and some of those songs are just an open E chord getting chunked around in every direction. Sounds raw as hell. You can dance to it. On top of that, he's singing about how he has a farm full of women. That's pretty cool. That's some pretty wild shit to be singing about in 1955. The whole chorus was just his name. That's also really cool. Here comes a two-note solo. Sounded great, didn't it?

What you're saying about Rick Beato and all that other shit kinda moves to my point. If you want musical complexity and interesting chord switches, you're not gonna find it in those popular "rock" and "country" lanes because they've been neutered entirely, there's nothing there at all. You will hear some wild shit underpinning modern rap music, though. You'll also hear far more innovation, interplay, and danger. And yeah, you'll also hear a lot of derivative slop, as you have in every past decade.

It's not like human brains got any less interested in minor keys and arpeggios. It's just that the people making music with computers have been making more engaging music than people with guitars, and weaving together into scenes and movements that produce unique talents. There aren't a half-dozen bands in Indianapolis or somewhere right now that are cooking up some unique new take on rock and roll that's gonna reverberate and influence and be built upon.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Indeed. It was a statement of fact lol.
giphy.gif

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Jokes aside, you do you boo..I just can't go back to that genre. Didn't age well for me at all. Can't connect with it mentally or emotionally anymore. The only band that didn't age poorly to me is Jimmy Eat World, probably because the vocals are more traditional alternative rock instead of whiney screamo.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

I was into it from 2003-2007 (age 18-22 for me). Went to Warped Tour 5 years in a row and had a good time. Saw My Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, Taking Back Sunday, etc. in concert during that stretch. Then I discovered the indie rock scene and also started diving deeper into classic rock, and haven't gone back to emo since.
I went to the 2nd Warped Tour when it was all still actual Punk and 3rd wave Ska. A few years later is when Emo started infesting it (and alternative stations in general). By that time I was already going full technogoth anyway.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Ah, see, when I say "guitar music" I was just kinda waving my hands at the generally accepted "rock" and "country" lanes (contrasting with, say, rap and r&b music, which yes, can also involve guitars). People like movements. People like scenes. For better or for worse, that existed with emo. Eras, regions, things to associate with, things to debate. That's cool. People like that.

I don't give much a shit about virtuosity, or radios, for that matter—and the average listener doesn't, either. I like Leo Kottke. Richard Thompson is a sick player. But Bo Diddley is probably my favorite guitarist ever, and some of those songs are just an open E chord getting chunked around in every direction. Sounds raw as hell. You can dance to it. On top of that, he's singing about how he has a farm full of women. That's pretty cool. That's some pretty wild shit to be singing about in 1955. The whole chorus was just his name. That's also really cool. Here comes a two-note solo. Sounded great, didn't it?

What you're saying about Rick Beato and all that other shit kinda moves to my point. If you want musical complexity and interesting chord switches, you're not gonna find it in those popular "rock" and "country" lanes because they've been neutered entirely, there's nothing there at all. You will hear some wild shit underpinning modern rap music, though. You'll also hear far more innovation, interplay, and danger. And yeah, you'll also hear a lot of derivative slop, as you have in every past decade.

It's not like human brains got any less interested in minor keys and arpeggios. It's just that the people making music with computers have been making more engaging music than people with guitars, and weaving together into scenes and movements that produce unique talents. There aren't a half-dozen bands in Indianapolis or somewhere right now that are cooking up some unique new take on rock and roll that's gonna reverberate and influence and be built upon.

Well that's a completely different topic.

The average listener listens to the radio, they don't actively seek out any music of notoriety for better or worse.

I suppose you could consider mumble rap to be some new unique take on music, but I find that kind of lack of quality to be right in the trash can. Some folks might consider Lil Wayne to be an innovator as well but I'm always left wondering if people aren't tonally deaf.

Anyways back to bagging on Charlie for his taste in emo music.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad