Social Media Septic Tank Thread

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Well that's a completely different topic.

The average listener listens to the radio, they don't actively seek out any music of notoriety for better or worse.

I suppose you could consider mumble rap to be some new unique take on music, but I find that kind of lack of quality to be right in the trash can. Some folks might consider Lil Wayne to be an innovator as well but I'm always left wondering if people aren't tonally deaf.

Anyways back to bagging on Charlie for his taste in emo music.
I honestly don't think I know anybody under 40 that listens to the radio unless there is no other option. Whenever I hear people talking about the radio I assume they are 45+ and just super out of touch with how people consume music.

Chinatown88

1 year 3 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Hah. This guy's still emotionally invested in this shit. Come laugh at him, @Chinatown88
I mean to be fair Charlie did take the devil's money by going to The Athletic. So he compromised himself to secure the bag. But the bigger question is how much of a positive spin does he have to put in his articles because he's required to by The Athletic or maybe it's pressure from the Flyers's brass?

TL;DR

Striiker can spite all he wants. But I will chuckle with Jojo when Striiker goes way too ham eventually cause it's my dang right to laugh at other people even if I shouldn't in some instances.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Emotionally invested? no no no no no absolutely not no

I just store up my hate from all other aspects of life and direct it at Flyers writers because they're not real people.

All I'm hearing is that you've decided to be the left guy on the meme bus. Be the right. Laugh at everyone's pain. It's a theme park ride where instead of seeing interesting fish or something, you see people you're very happy are not you.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
All I'm hearing is that you've decided to be the left guy on the meme bus. Be the right. Laugh at everyone's pain. It's a theme park ride where instead of seeing interesting fish or something, you see people you're very happy are not you.
I'm the kid who gets yelled at by the bus driver for moving back and forth between the left and right side as the bus is moving.

Striiker can spite all he wants. But I will chuckle with Jojo when Striiker goes way too ham eventually cause it's my dang right to laugh at other people even if I shouldn't in some instances.
No such thing, friend

Chinatown88

1 year 3 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I'm the kid who gets yelled at by the bus driver for moving back and forth between the left and right side as the bus is moving.
That happened to me once in summer school, was taking Physics 1. We were all playing Tetris on our TI-83s or 84s and using the cable to play against each other. The bus driver yelled at me cause he happened to look back when I had to move.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I honestly don't think I know anybody under 40 that listens to the radio unless there is no other option. Whenever I hear people talking about the radio I assume they are 45+ and just super out of touch with how people consume music.
I'm trying to wean my mom off of satellite radio, which is slightly better than terrestrial radio but still doesn't hold a candle to the catalogue and instant gratification of Spotify.

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I mean to be fair Charlie did take the devil's money by going to The Athletic. So he compromised himself to secure the bag. But the bigger question is how much of a positive spin does he have to put in his articles because he's required to by The Athletic or maybe it's pressure from the Flyers's brass?
Why would The Atheltic want to spin the Flyers positively?

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Charlie's spurts of positivity are more a self-defense mechanism than anything. He does excoriate the Flyers at their worst moments, and he made Fletcher stumble over his words better than any other beat with his questioning. But he doesn't want to wallow in misery every day at his (now) job -- I get it. I also am allowed to roll my eyes at certain things and not care one bit to read some feel good piece about MacEwen. But I'd wager to say that unceasing negativity would not drive site traffic, not that he's being asked to spin anything by the Athletic. Although I'm sure there's editorial meetings.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'm trying to wean my mom off of satellite radio, which is slightly better than terrestrial radio but still doesn't hold a candle to the catalogue and instant gratification of Spotify.

I...happen to enjoy satellite radio actually. When I want to listen to something in particular, of course I'll go listen to it, but if I'm in the car and have no idea what I wanna hear, I just flip to Sirius and start turning the knob until I end up somewhere new. Found a whole lot of shit that way. And it's not terribly expensive if you just call them up every year and threaten to cancel, think I pay like $6 a month that way.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I...happen to enjoy satellite radio actually. When I want to listen to something in particular, of course I'll go listen to it, but if I'm in the car and have no idea what I wanna hear, I just flip to Sirius and start turning the knob until I end up somewhere new. Found a whole lot of shit that way. And it's not terribly expensive if you just call them up every year and threaten to cancel, think I pay like $6 a month that way.

I have Sirus in the car. I have a Spotify account too. I like the more convenience in the car with the Sirus. I can play DJ at home with the Spotify. The Sirus obviously has more variety & larger catalogs of music they play than just regular radio.

I found new songs I never before like you on that as well. As like their catalogs are probably in the like the 1,000’s opposed to 100’s the local stations play every day.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I have Sirus in the car. I have a Spotify account too. I like the more convenience in the car with the Sirus. I can play DJ at home with the Spotify. The Sirus obviously has more variety & larger catalogs of music they play than just regular radio.

I found new songs I never before like you on that as well. As like their catalogs are probably in the like the 1,000’s opposed to 100’s the local stations play every day.

There's also like, legit DJs hosting a radio show. So at different times throughout the day you got different people pulling the records and talking about them, and that's really enjoyable. I like the old school country stations like Willie's Roadhouse for that, you get some weathered old hilbilly telling some story about how the song was written or about the time they met the guy who wrote it. I like all that stuff: it's context, sometimes it's informative, it has a flow and warmth to it.

Honestly I'm comfortable paying the cost just for one show. I'm a big chopped and screwed rap guy, and Drake's station (of all places) has a full 2-hour live DJ set from a couple good Houston DJs every Sunday afternoon. The pacing of the chops, the sequence of the playlist, the insane transitions from song to song, the live mixes and scratches...it's a seamlessly hypnotic, grimey performance! Not just a bunch of songs in a row.

Radio is a lost art.

Last edited:
Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
There's also like, legit DJs hosting a radio show. So at different times throughout the day you got different people pulling the records and talking about them, and that's really enjoyable. I like the old school country stations like Willie's Roadhouse for that, you get some weathered old hilbilly telling some story about how the song was written or about the time they met the guy who wrote it. I like all that stuff: it's context, sometimes it's informative, it has a flow and warmth to it.

Honestly I'm comfortable paying the cost just for one show. I'm a big chopped and screwed rap guy, and Drake's station (of all places) has a full 2-hour live DJ set from a couple good Houston DJs every Sunday afternoon. The pacing of the chops, the sequence of the playlist, the insane transitions from song to song, the live mixes and scratches...it's a seamlessly hypnotic, grimey performance! Not just a bunch of songs in a row.

Radio is a lost art.
Most the time I hear the Sirius stations they're still playing the same stuff at the same times. First Wave played Echo and the Bunnymen's "Bring on the Dancing Horses" every morning while I was driving. I was getting close to not needing a clock by the damn rotation.

There was a local host here that did New Wave Wednesday for 20 years but a few years back her family moved to Arizona or something and I didn't care about the new host. She was informative as hell but was prone to tangents about her personal life that would make you start begging for the next song. Plus each show usually had a theme and we'd all request songs that matched it, like Songs About Clothes. You bet I'm making sure Madness "Baggy Trousers" is in the queue.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Apparently 55% of gen z people listen to the radio everyday.

Make of it what you will. The head honchos of the music industry still have managed to push a lot of the artist/musicians they want out there.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Apparently 55% of gen z people listen to the radio everyday.

Make of it what you will. The head honchos of the music industry still have managed to push a lot of the artist/musicians they want out there.
I actually tracked down that study and while ago and read it. Basically that 55% number is Gen Z kids listen to some radio every day but only in situation where they had no other choice. So situations like they are in a car that isn't capable of linking to blue tooth, or passively in a work situation where that's all they were able to access.

I think the number that sought out to listen to radio was something like under 25% and it was widely concentrated into very urban areas that had a much higher concentration of niche stations then less urban areas.

That's what I was getting at with this "under 40 that listens to the radio unless there is no other option."

Reactions: kudymen

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
36DF3FAC-A2A1-4549-A0BE-C685AB83916A.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad