Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ugh, someone on my Facebook feed shared a Fox News post about Torts telling his players they won't play if they don't stand for the National Anthem and his post was just about how "the Flyers are back!" thanks to the toughness of Torts.

I'm not as anti-Torts as most of you folks are, but assuming Torts even said that, loving the flag certainly has nothing to do with the reason the Flyers are playing well.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ugh, someone on my Facebook feed shared a Fox News post about Torts telling his players they won't play if they don't stand for the National Anthem and his post was just about how "the Flyers are back!" thanks to the toughness of Torts.

I'm not as anti-Torts as most of you folks are, but assuming Torts even said that, loving the flag certainly has nothing to do with the reason the Flyers are playing well.

That was like 5 years ago. Fox News is f***ing trash.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Hockey “personalities” barely understand the intricacies of hockey — at least the ones who pretend that hockey is more mysticism for the chosen than sport. It’s not even because hockey is hard to understand. It’s because they prefer the look of cave shadows. The cave shadows have size and you can’t teach size!

platos-allegory-of-the-cave-explained.jpg

I think basketball intricacies are more complex. That’s why coaches have greater impacts. You’re halfway to being a hockey analyst when you learn what “north-south” means.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A good segment of sports talk radio (both hosts & callers) in this city/country still thinks football is played in a phone booth. I don’t think the mass public is really into the intricacies of any sport.

The reality is hockey is just niche & like any niche product those that run it & consume don’t really do much to try & get to those outside of that bubble. It doesn’t help the grass root level is pretty much no where near other sports in this country because of the cost. So you’re not nearly growing fans at younger level compared to other sports. So those fans don’t have that exposure which probably is the most important.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Myrtetus actually makes a good point. Unfortunately, it's not the one he's trying to make. The hockey community by and large has no interest in teaching anyone about the game. It's more about indoctrination into the culture.

Go try to find tactical hockey content. There isn't much of it out there. You've got Jack Han and The Coaches Site and you're pretty much done outside of a random Twitter account or two. Meanwhile, I pay money to support a blog about the bleeping Indiana Pacers because it teaches me so much about the mechanics of NBA basketball.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Myrtetus actually makes a good point. Unfortunately, it's not the one he's trying to make. The hockey community by and large has no interest in teaching anyone about the game. It's more about indoctrination into the culture.

Go try to find tactical hockey content. There isn't much of it out there. You've got Jack Han and The Coaches Site and you're pretty much done outside of a random Twitter account or two. Meanwhile, I pay money to support a blog about the bleeping Indiana Pacers because it teaches me so much about the mechanics of NBA basketball.

No one gatekeeps their sports quite like hockey and soccer fans

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That’s because only maybe 0.01% of the hockey community even understands the sport.

And I don’t even mean advanced knowledge of tactics or anything in-depth. I’m talking like the most basic common sense things. You go on Flyers Twitter or Reddit or anywhere else where fans gather and they still think Deslauriers is vital and Frost is shit because he’s too small and bad defensively.

Even if the 0.1% of the above 0.01%, who actually know enough to teach others something of value, was motivated to make teaching content, it still wouldn’t work because there’s zero appetite for that stuff and the majority of fans would actively push back against it because it disagrees with people like Torts.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
That’s because only maybe 0.01% of the hockey community even understands the sport.

And I don’t even mean advanced knowledge of tactics or anything in-depth. I’m talking like the most basic common sense things. You go on Flyers Twitter or Reddit or anywhere else where fans gather and they still think Deslauriers is vital and Frost is shit because he’s too small and bad defensively.

Even if the 0.1% of the above 0.01%, who actually know enough to teach others something of value, was motivated to do make teaching content, it still wouldn’t work because there’s zero appetite for that content and the majority of fans would actively push back against it because it disagrees with people like Torts.

Brother, there are still people saying shit like "There's only one basketball!" or talking about NFL teams' records when they run the ball 30+ times. That's just sports as a broad issue.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Hockey “personalities” barely understand the intricacies of hockey — at least the ones who pretend that hockey is more mysticism for the chosen than sport. It’s not even because hockey is hard to understand. It’s because they prefer the look of cave shadows. The cave shadows have size and you can’t teach size!

platos-allegory-of-the-cave-explained.jpg

I think basketball intricacies are more complex. That’s why coaches have greater impacts. You’re halfway to being a hockey analyst when you learn what “north-south” means.
Man I wonder if any of the beat writers would even get this reference.

Man The Republic was a long and difficult read.

Reactions: Magua

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA

Even if the 0.1% of the above 0.01%, who actually know enough to teach others something of value, was motivated to make teaching content, it still wouldn’t work because there’s zero appetite for that stuff and the majority of fans would actively push back against it because it disagrees with people like Torts.
I heard a fun exchange at the Bears game last night (mostly because the guy in front of me loves having intermission conversations directly over my old man and myself with the guy that sits directly behind us):

"Ovechkin's playing tonight. He's minus one."
"Then maybe he shouldn't be."

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

If it's not too much trouble, would you please make a list of all the random shit which you would be willing to pay to read about in a blog?

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
“They said they’d pay me when I proved myself and generated revenue for them! Then I asked them to pay me and they said they couldn’t!”

So what does that tell you, Dylan? Can we maybe connect these dots? Could it be that they saw what you could do and don’t think you’ll make them any money?

I somehow doubt it was a devious mustache-twirling scheme to swindle you out of a few articles that nobody read and then ride off into the sunset with bags of gold bricks that they got in exchange for your work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad