OT: Sochi 2014 Olympics - Hockey Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLight*

does the Bouwmeester curse still apply or now that he made it to the playoffs with the Blues it's history?

Bouwmeester is frikin awesome. Loved him in Florida, hated him in Calgary, love him and in St. Louis and love him with Team Canada.

Something is rotten with the Flames

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Not quite. I doubt Jonothan Toews makes the same as someone on the speed skating team in endorsements.

I don't get patriotism, you're right. Its a backwards concept. I'm not cheering for the US to be anti Canadian, I'm cheering for the US because they are more exciting this time around. I cheered for Canada in Vancouver because they were hosts, it cost a lot of money, they were really fun to watch, and I wanted to be part of the party. Not because I love where I live and with whom I live, because like many have said... almost none of these guys live in Canada are almost all eligible for US citizenship.

Also, multiculturalism has nothing to do with someone's citizenship, nor does it have anything to do with cheering for a team in sports.

Like I said, I cheer for whatever is most entertaining. If 10 minutes in Canada is on fire and looks like they're gonna score, I'll probably cheer for them. This game has nothing to with me. I'm not getting compensated in any way, and Canada doesn't suffer from me in my mind silently rooting for Phil Kessel, a cancer victim whom everyone hated. Sorry that I relate to him more than Duncan Keith

I bet a lot of them have dual citizenship. But I have to disagree with your multiculturalism statement since patriotism is an outward expression of ones love of their country and multiculturalism is a defining characteristic of Canada and many new Canadians come to Canada because of it. But I agree that not cheering for Canada is in no way being Anti-Canadian, however that is how many in society view it, you see it all the time. The whole "your either with us or against us" kind of thinking is destructive.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I bet a lot of them have dual citizenship. But I have to disagree with your multiculturalism statement since patriotism is an outward expression of ones love of their country and multiculturalism is a defining characteristic of Canada and many new Canadians come to Canada because of it. But I agree that not cheering for Canada is in no way being Anti-Canadian, however that is how many in society view it, you see it all the time. The whole "your either with us or against us" kind of thinking is destructive.

Hmm, see I either 50% agree with you, or 100% agree and disagree :laugh: What I meant by multiculturalism not having anything to do with one's citizenship meant that you do not need ANOTHER citizenship to be multicultural. It was a direct reply to another poster's reply to me, but since I was on my tablet, I didn't know how to multipost.

Edit, here it is:
You do know that patriotism has nothing to do with multiculturalism right? Unless that person has the citizenship of that other country.

Last edited:

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
No idea why the Americans should be favoured. They've only looked good because they've faced weak teams except for Russia. Lighting up the Czechs, Solvenia and the other lesser lights is not impressive. Hell they might have lost to Russia if not for that stupid rule that will be changed and we saw how Finland took care of them. Bottom line is if USA wins it will be because Quick stands on his head more than anything else. Ask anyone watching the Czech game and they will tell you Pavelec cost them that game. Price won't be giving up bad goals like he was.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow, the usual tradition of Canadian pessimism reeks in here.

The US could definitely win this game, but Canada is clearly the stronger team. The Americans have yet to face a team that has a defence like this and exceptional goaltending. I think there are a few guys on Canada that can score too.

If the ladies showed anything today, Canada usually shows up when it matters.

The Canadian men's team is definitely stronger on paper, but they sure haven't shown it on the ice.

This game is going to be very scary.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The Canadian men's team is definitely stronger on paper, but they sure haven't shown it on the ice.

This game is going to be very scary.

People see a scoreboard and then make their assumptions on Canada. I watched every game and they absolutely dominated Latvia and controlled the game against a top 4 team in Finland. The Finns who beat the Russians easily. Those same Russians beat the US barring a chintzy call.

If you think guys like Toews, Getzlaf and Perry are going to sit back and let the Yanks dictate, you're in for a surprise. Canada has gotten progressively better with each game. I hope we get to see a drubbing like they put on the Russians in 2010. Everyone called Russia winning that one too and it was over by the first period.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
It's gonna be a real barn-burner! This event may not happen again for a very long time so let's go out and grab the Gold boys! I am confident that we are the better team! I have a feeling we are going to break out of our scoring slump and pile on the goals!! Our defensive game is amazing and we are solid in nets! Move over Americans, this prize belongs back here in Canada... AGAIN!!:yo:

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
People see a scoreboard and then make their assumptions on Canada. I watched every game and they absolutely dominated Latvia and controlled the game against a top 4 team in Finland. The Finns who beat the Russians easily. Those same Russians beat the US barring a chintzy call.

If you think guys like Toews, Getzlaf and Perry are going to sit back and let the Yanks dictate, you're in for a surprise. Canada has gotten progressively better with each game. I hope we get to see a drubbing like they put on the Russians in 2010. Everyone called Russia winning that one too and it was over by the first period.

Never understood the hype for that Russian team. Russia's like the Oilers of the Olympics - great collection of star forwards, a terrible blueline, and mediocre goaltending.

Oct 10, 2010
The USA's 2nd and 3rd D pairings aren't the greatest

44 Brooks Orpik
7 Paul Martin

3 Cam Fowler
22 Kevin Shattenkirk
-

4 John Carlson

Toews, Getzlaf, Duchene lines will need to take advantage

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Rask out due to the flu. No excuse for Sweden to not win now. Looks like Karlsson/Alfie will be playing for a guaranteed medal at the end of the day.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
yeesh...I swear this Swedish teem is bi-polar. How these guys can be so great - and so awful - at the same time is baffling.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I was unimpressed with Canada's forwards

Yes they had the puck most of the time so far but they haven't been all that impressive in DOING something with the puck: very little chemistry between the forwards so far. When we won it's because skill eventually took over but the skill disparity between the US and Canada isn't that big and the US forwards have meshed very well together

It will be all about the D: our D has been utterly fantastic so far and, if we win, it will be on them

Plus Price has a history of coming up short in big games in the playoffs (he did win in Juniors though): I'm very afraid he's going to cost us the game with a bad goal

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So Erik just tied Kessel for the scoring lead... Would he get consideration for tournament MVP? He's come up with big goals/assists every game it seems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad