OT: Sochi 2014 Olympics - Hockey Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Anyone else think it awesome that Kessels sister experience the same thing today that Kessel himself experienced last year in the playoffs. Lead going into the third only to lose in OT.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
don't forget a Bozak too (Bozek)

a bit sad that with Canada winning 4 golds in a row that there are a few American who'll never win a gold.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Yup. By random chance I was born in Canada. I didn't choose it. Paying my taxes is the only way ill be supporting Canada. I dont owe Canada anything else.

Patriotism is just another form of government control. Tricks people into blindly loving a government.

Is the illuminati in on it too?

You didn't choose to be born here but you certainly choose to live here, unless you're not old enough o change that, which I would have no trouble believing.

Strange how you ignore how those "millionaire athletes" don't get paid while representing their country. And why do you choose to cheer for another country's millionaire athletes over ours? Last I checked, super Swede Alfie left our team over a couple million dollars.

As for the club over country, I've lived in England during the World Cup. No English man would be caught dead cheering for any other country but their own, regardless of what players from their local club are playing there.

I'm Canadian and proud of it. That extends to my fellow countrymen and women who chose to represent my country. I hope that Canada beats the US and pastes whoever it is in the final for the gold. I'll take extra delight if Alfie doesn't medal.

I really take issue with the "why should I cheer for a bunch of millionaires" comment. What on earth should an Olympic athlete's salary have to do with how deserving they are of support when they're representing the nation for free? Considering nearly every team there has millionaires, the best athletes in the Winter Olympics all have crazy endorsement and sponsorship deals. People still think the Olympics is exclusively, or even majority amateurs?

Bringing that up really hurt his case more than anything. Not a smart argument.

Last edited:

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Is the illuminati in on it too?

You didn't choose to be born here but you certainly choose to live here, unless you're not old enough o change that, which I would have no trouble believing.

I really take issue with the "why should I cheer for a bunch of millionaires" comment. What on earth should an Olympic athlete's salary have to do with how deserving they are of support when they're representing the nation for free? Considering nearly every team there has millionaires, the best athletes in the Winter Olympics all have crazy endorsement and sponsorship deals. People still think the Olympics is exclusively, or even majority amateurs?

Bringing that up really hurt his case more than anything. Not a smart argument.

Again, it's not free. They make a small amount of prize money, plus millions from endorsements from Canadian Tire, Nike, Sportchek, ect.

It's a sports team. First and for most. He is constitutionally and socially encouraged to have an opinion. If he decides that Kessel is more entertaining than Jeff Carter, he isn't being a bad Canadian. The whole point of Canada since the 80's is to encourage multiculturasism.

Your opinion is stuck in the 1800's

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Again, it's not free. They make a small amount of prize money, plus millions from endorsements from Canadian Tire, Nike, Sportchek, ect.

As I said in my post, that applies to everyone in the Olympics, so when the debate is about hockey players vs. athletes in other sports, that is irrelevant.

Two of the three companies you listed are also the same company, not the best examples.

Discussing the actual team seems pointless when you've already admitted you don't get patriotism and will be cheering for the US tomorrow, that says it all really. If your idea of multiculturalism is cheering for the Canadian's biggest rivals in a game against them, all the power to you.

Last edited:

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa

It's a sports team. First and for most. He is constitutionally and socially encouraged to have an opinion. If he decides that Kessel is more entertaining than Jeff Carter, he isn't being a bad Canadian. The whole point of Canada since the 80's is to encourage multiculturasism.

Your opinion is stuck in the 1800's

You do know that patriotism has nothing to do with multiculturalism right? Unless that person has the citizenship of that other country.

Carrie Underwood

Jul 28, 2010
LOL

Mythical Drinks ‏@MythicalDrinks 1h
The #American: 100 oz of #disappointment, 200 oz of #sadness, taken while being inferior to a "cooler" nation. @MadelnCanada @CanadianProbz

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Well, tomorrow afternoon is going to suck after the US beats Canada. :(

The score will be either 4-2 or 2-0 USA.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Wow, the usual tradition of Canadian pessimism reeks in here.

The US could definitely win this game, but Canada is clearly the stronger team. The Americans have yet to face a team that has a defence like this and exceptional goaltending. I think there are a few guys on Canada that can score too.

If the ladies showed anything today, Canada usually shows up when it matters.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
As I said in my post, that applies to everyone in the Olympics, so when the debate is about hockey players vs. athletes in other sports, that is irrelevant.

Two of the three companies you listed are also the same company, not the best examples.

Discussing the actual team seems pointless when you've already admitted you don't get patriotism and will be cheering for the US tomorrow, that says it all really. If your idea of multiculturalism is cheering for the Canadian's biggest rivals in a game against them, all the power to you.

Not quite. I doubt Jonothan Toews makes the same as someone on the speed skating team in endorsements.

I don't get patriotism, you're right. Its a backwards concept. I'm not cheering for the US to be anti Canadian, I'm cheering for the US because they are more exciting this time around. I cheered for Canada in Vancouver because they were hosts, it cost a lot of money, they were really fun to watch, and I wanted to be part of the party. Not because I love where I live and with whom I live, because like many have said... almost none of these guys live in Canada are almost all eligible for US citizenship.

Also, multiculturalism has nothing to do with someone's citizenship, nor does it have anything to do with cheering for a team in sports.

Like I said, I cheer for whatever is most entertaining. If 10 minutes in Canada is on fire and looks like they're gonna score, I'll probably cheer for them. This game has nothing to with me. I'm not getting compensated in any way, and Canada doesn't suffer from me in my mind silently rooting for Phil Kessel, a cancer victim whom everyone hated. Sorry that I relate to him more than Duncan Keith

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I rooted for Canada in 2010 because I wanted to see their fans see Olympic gold on their own soil, thought it was nice to see. Luckily I'm still around and didn't get hung for treason.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Too bad our team is probably going to get spanked. Hard.

Please. Our Canadian NHLers have yet to not show up for a game against the US. Nothing changes tomorrow.

Spare me from not being impressed by a team that lights up Ondrej "I'm the worst goalie in the NHL" Pavelec.

Someone just needs to remind Price to play like he did against Ottawa this season and we're going to be just fine.

Major Might

Oct 18, 2013
Not quite. I doubt Jonothan Toews makes the same as someone on the speed skating team in endorsements.

I don't get patriotism, you're right. Its a backwards concept. I'm not cheering for the US to be anti Canadian, I'm cheering for the US because they are more exciting this time around. I cheered for Canada in Vancouver because they were hosts, it cost a lot of money, they were really fun to watch, and I wanted to be part of the party. Not because I love where I live and with whom I live, because like many have said... almost none of these guys live in Canada are almost all eligible for US citizenship.

Also, multiculturalism has nothing to do with someone's citizenship, nor does it have anything to do with cheering for a team in sports.

Like I said, I cheer for whatever is most entertaining. If 10 minutes in Canada is on fire and looks like they're gonna score, I'll probably cheer for them. This game has nothing to with me. I'm not getting compensated in any way, and Canada doesn't suffer from me in my mind silently rooting for Phil Kessel, a cancer victim whom everyone hated. Sorry that I relate to him more than Duncan Keith

So I'm guessing you didn't cheer for the Senators last year after Spezza and Karlsson got hurt because we weren't playing entertaining hockey?

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
So I'm guessing you didn't cheer for the Senators last year after Spezza and Karlsson got hurt because we weren't playing entertaining hockey?

It actually was pretty entertaining. I didn't watch the Sens for a about a month and a half this year though. Was kind of a waste of 9-12 hours a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad