Other Sports: Soccer/Football Thread Part Six

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Kane looks like he's almost ready for Saudi Arabia or America.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Watkins is such a clinical finisher. Guy can score from anywhere in the box. Also has the pace Kane lacks. Watkins should be starting in the final, but he probably won't.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
It would make more sense to start Watkins and then bring Kane on if it was going to penalties.
Yeah, for penalties it would have to be Kane or Toney. Watkins never takes penalties for Villa. Must be bad at it.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think the biggest takeaway from the Spain/France game is that England will have to win the midfield battle to stand any chance against Spain. That's where France lost the game because their midfield got completely dominated by Rodri/Fabian/Olmo.
If Bellingham keeps playing like a false 9 whatever type and leaves Rice and Mainoo on their own, I think England are f***ed.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
anyone have an idea what a typical say..training day for a player is like? like what time do they have to be there..how long are they there..etc etc....same for Match Day

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Kane looks like he's almost ready for Saudi Arabia or America.

He's just come off a 44 goal season and he's on track to be the golden boot winner in the tournament. People don't half exaggerate because he's clearly a little bit injured.

Mainoo held that midfield down for England. Outside of Watkins goal, player of the match

He was sensational in the first half, him and Foden ran the match. He barely touched it in the second half though, the middle of the pitch became a war of attrition.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Once again salvaging a non systemic goal in desperation. Truly sad.

England loses a final but the FA doesn't sack Southgate because he makes it to another Euro final. Darkest timeline.

I think Southgate is gone regardless of what happens on Sunday tbh. It's hard to watch sometimes but semi-final, final, quarter-final and final* is the best run of tournament performances in English history and is up there for one of the best four-tournament runs by anyone. It's a shame we've not won anything yet though, and (let's be honest) aren't likely to here either. Spain are too good.

Reactions: Starat327

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
anyone have an idea what a typical say..training day for a player is like? like what time do they have to be there..how long are they there..etc etc....same for Match Day

I have a pretty good knowledge with two generations of pros in my family (one of whom still works for a Premier League club, albeit as a scout now) and working in football for a time too... it depends on manager though. For example Mancini is brutal and often had the team in from 9am to 5pm with multiple hard sessions a day. And some managers have the team train at the same time as they are going to play that week. Some managers like having the team in really early though seems like that is getting less and less with younger managers and I would guess around 9-10am is usual in season start time now... but lets say the manager likes 10am starts and changes session times day before game to match game.

in season (in a week with 1 Saturday game) usually something like:

Monday: 10am to 3pm (say 90 min morning session, lunch, then 90 min afternoon session)
Tuesday: 10am to 3pm
Wednesday: 10am to 3pm
Thursday: 10am to 3pm
Friday: 1pm-5:30pm (more tactics and skill based, not generally much cardio, gym etc)
Saturday: Game-day: Some teams do like 1 hour in morning at training ground then go to ground for say 1pm generally if a 3pm kick-off.
Sunday: 10am to 1pm (recovery, light exercise, massage, stretching)

But this would be a week with only 1 game, if have 2 games? With a game on say Tuesday? Then Wednesday would also be a lighter day where recovery is prioritised. And when fixture congestion happens more? Then some teams go to really only mornings in... so like maybe arrive at 9am and do ~2 hours, have lunch, then home.

It would be rare for guys to average more than ~4 hours or actual "team training" per day in season, and also probably rare for guys to average less than ~2.5 hours per day over season... but very common to be actually at the facility for an average of 5-6 hours a day, sometimes more. And ofc some guys stay longer, do extra stuff.

And some teams prefer having their players in for breakfast together too in season, I think that has become more common over last 20 years, while others let them do their own thing, in that case they might arrive at say 8:30 or 9 but do the same amount of training, roughly.

Pre-season is a lot more though. A lot of teams have guys in 6 days a week from ~7am to 7pm... with say 1 hour gym in morning after breakfast, then 2 hours on field training from 10-12, then lunch, then video in afternoon, then another 2-3 hours at 3pm, then at 6pm dinner.

Teams probably on average give players ~2-3 days fully "off" a month. But it really depends on schedule.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He's just come off a 44 goal season and he's on track to be the golden boot winner in the tournament. People don't half exaggerate because he's clearly a little bit injured.
I've been a big fan of Kane for a long time, but right now he has no speed, and it changes how England plays.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
I have a pretty good knowledge with two generations of pros in my family (one of whom still works for a Premier League club, albeit as a scout now) and working in football for a time too... it depends on manager though. For example Mancini is brutal and often had the team in from 9am to 5pm with multiple hard sessions a day. And some managers have the team train at the same time as they are going to play that week. Some managers like having the team in really early though seems like that is getting less and less with younger managers and I would guess around 9-10am is usual in season start time now... but lets say the manager likes 10am starts and changes session times day before game to match game.

in season (in a week with 1 Saturday game) usually something like:

Monday: 10am to 3pm (say 90 min morning session, lunch, then 90 min afternoon session)
Tuesday: 10am to 3pm
Wednesday: 10am to 3pm
Thursday: 10am to 3pm
Friday: 1pm-5:30pm (more tactics and skill based, not generally much cardio, gym etc)
Saturday: Game-day: Some teams do like 1 hour in morning at training ground then go to ground for say 1pm generally if a 3pm kick-off.
Sunday: 10am to 1pm (recovery, light exercise, massage, stretching)

But this would be a week with only 1 game, if have 2 games? With a game on say Tuesday? Then Wednesday would also be a lighter day where recovery is prioritised. And when fixture congestion happens more? Then some teams go to really only mornings in... so like maybe arrive at 9am and do ~2 hours, have lunch, then home.

It would be rare for guys to average more than ~4 hours or actual "team training" per day in season, and also probably rare for guys to average less than ~2.5 hours per day over season... but very common to be actually at the facility for an average of 5-6 hours a day, sometimes more. And ofc some guys stay longer, do extra stuff.

And some teams prefer having their players in for breakfast together too in season, I think that has become more common over last 20 years, while others let them do their own thing, in that case they might arrive at say 8:30 or 9 but do the same amount of training, roughly.

Pre-season is a lot more though. A lot of teams have guys in 6 days a week from ~7am to 7pm... with say 1 hour gym in morning after breakfast, then 2 hours on field training from 10-12, then lunch, then video in afternoon, then another 2-3 hours at 3pm, then at 6pm dinner.

Teams probably on average give players ~2-3 days fully "off" a month. But it really depends on schedule.
nifty..thanks!!!(also knew you would answer lol)

Reactions: Appleyard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad