OT: Raise the Jolly Roger: Dull days of July

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Serious question - are you cool with going into next season with these two as your "additions" to the lineup? You have to recognize that there's a very real chance that this added salary will preclude/replace other additions of consequence this offseason. You good with rolling into 2025 with this lineup (IKF at CF and Gonzales at 2B)? That's not a good offense.
ikf is making 7.5 million he is the new Sean Rodriguez super utility player

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Where does it rank on this team currently?
surely they could do better. its a spit in the face to just be like welp this 707 hitter is better than what we got, be grateful.

Just absolutely wasting our pitching by not getting an everyday hitter. its maddening,

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
surely they could do better. its a spit in the face to just be like welp this 707 hitter is better than what we got, be grateful.

Just absolutely wasting our pitching by not getting an everyday hitter. its maddening,
That was my point, it's better than what we have, that's what I've been saying now for over an hour.

I didn't expect a seismic add. But we are a better team now than we were.

We'll see what they do in the offseason. Chapman and Gonzales come off the books. I expect a couple key adds. Time will tell.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Anything from C+ to B seems fair to me. They improved by acquiring mid players to replace bad players and didn’t really pay anything of significance for it.
Right, like I think GMBC worked around the margins and got some modest upgrades without having to give up a marquee prospect. Plus keeping Chapman. I just don't think it's going to be enough to keep pace with the rest of the NL WC teams in the hunt.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
That was my point, it's better than what we have, that's what I've been saying now for over an hour.

I didn't expect a seismic add. But we are a better team now than we were.

We'll see what they do in the offseason. Chapman and Gonzales come off the books. I expect a couple key adds. Time will tell.
I don't think his 707 is much a difference to Joe's 698. Who gets on base .30 points more, so i think you could argue that Joe is a better option because he gets on base more. a slight 9 point add in OPS doesn't make up that difference.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Right, like I think GMBC worked around the margins and got some modest upgrades without having to give up a marquee prospect. Plus keeping Chapman. I just don't think it's going to be enough to keep pace with the rest of the NL WC teams in the hunt.
This is correct. They have to beat out 3 of the Mets, Braves, Cardinals, DBacks, and Padres - this roster simply is a decided underdog to do that.

Reactions: WickedWrister

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't think his 707 is much a difference to Joe's 698. Who gets on base .30 points more, so i think you could argue that Joe is a better option because he gets on base more. a slight 9 point add in OPS doesn't make up that difference.
Joe has fallen off decidedly over the last few months.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't understand the Cutch batting leadoff thing. He is probably sadly one of the better power hitters on the team and isn't very fast, makes no sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the difference of opinion regarding their deadline is more reflective of expectations than anything. I've been pretty adamant that my expectation for them at the deadline is to add a bat or two, and ideally focus on getting some cost controlled guys who will help the Pirates in the 2025-2028 window. What they did lines up exactly with what I expected them to do.

It's kinda the same thing with that report from Perrotto about not being able to add money. I would have guessed that a huge majority of Pirates fans assumed that was the case to begin with, because it's Bob Nutting. That's actually why I was confused about that Perrotto "Cherington did the best he could" quip, I don't think a single Pirates fan gives a shit about trading Perez and his $8 million salary.

Reactions: td_ice

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think the difference of opinion regarding their deadline is more reflective of expectations than anything. I've been pretty adamant that my expectation for them at the deadline is to add a bat or two, and ideally focus on getting some cost controlled guys who will help the Pirates in the 2025-2028 window. What they did lines up exactly with what I expected them to do.

It's kinda the same thing with that report from Perrotto about not being able to add money. I would have guessed that a huge majority of Pirates fans assumed that was the case to begin with, because it's Bob Nutting. That's actually why I was confused about that Perrotto "Cherington did the best he could" quip, I don't think a single Pirates fan gives a shit about trading Perez and his $8 million salary.
Nah that was solid move, even though Perez threw 6 shutout last outing, we all know he had a 5 earned 3 IP outing coming.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nah that was solid move, even though Perez threw 6 shutout last outing, we all know he had a 5 earned 3 IP outing coming.

Yeah I'd be mad if they had to trade someone of value to clear out money, but getting out of Perez's deal is a win in itself.

Perrotto is saying "Cherington was hamstrung by Nutting and had to trade Perez to bring in IKF", and my response there is "good decision by Nutting because Perez sucks" :laugh:

Reactions: PensandCaps

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
This is correct. They have to beat out 3 of the Mets, Braves, Cardinals, DBacks, and Padres - this roster simply is a decided underdog to do that.
I'm not delusional enough to think that Nutting was ever going to add like $25m in salary at the deadline, but we needed 2 more similar moves or another big one to truly transform this offense into something resembling a playoff caliber one.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yeah I'd be mad if they had to trade someone of value to clear out money, but getting out of Perez's deal is a win in itself.

Perrotto is saying "Cherington was hamstrung by Nutting and had to trade Perez to bring in IKF", and my response there is "good decision by Nutting because Perez sucks" :laugh:
Good thing he had that good outing, probably would have been a nightmare to move otherwise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad