So what happens if this team is actually bad?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Fair point but it is odd to me that as he appears to be getting better, his minutes are being reduced. And as bad as Jordie and Dillon have played to me it would seem as though the coach was singling me out if I was him. You very well may right though.

If it was me, I'd give him at least 10 games of 12 minutes to make sure he was ready for more. The faster you scale up, the more likely you are to hit the current ceiling and maybe hurt his confidence.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
As long as you let him know in advance that's a perfectly fine strategy. It's just I remember Ruff said he was going to start sending messages with ice time and it seems like after that his time started going down. But hey, if it's a pre determined strategy I see no problem with that.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
I don't think the league is trying to eliminate hits so much as they're trying to refine hitting so that it results in less injuries. But all of that is still at the mercy of the guys on the ice; as the game has gotten quicker, and as teams have emphasized puck possession, the need for "stay at home" defenders has lessened.

Coaches are no longer preaching a block the shot philosophy except for weirdos like Tortorella.
I mention this trend because your stay at home types tended to be physical. If you want to throw a big hit, you be better be able to skate. So I think the change has been more philosophical than anything. But I also think Dallas is unique: our top defenders are undersized, therefore, are taught to go after the pick instead of engaging in a physical battle they're at a disadvantage on. Dillon is kind of an awkward skater, but I doubt he's being coached to not hit (remember his shot on Loui last year or this monster slam on Andrew Shaw?). I think he just suffers from an identity crisis; has has the physicality to be a defensive defenseman, but wants to be involved in a rush up ice and play run and gun instead.

I just really disagree with this.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
The title should now be changed too "So we suck again, what is gonna happen"

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
As long as we aren't kinda bad. If your gonna suck do it right and get a good draft pick!

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
So much for talk on the general boards about Stars going "for it" this season with the Spezza and Hemsky acquisitions. This team is looking pathetic. My condolences.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
So much for talk on the general boards about Stars going "for it" this season with the Spezza and Hemsky acquisitions. This team is looking pathetic. My condolences.

Honestly, that's the only thing we got hyped for. But a lot of people also knew our defense was borderline terrible. I guess people assumed offense could outweigh the terrible defense. But it's not.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

It's okay :) most people with actual brain cells saw that the defense wasn't improved and that we'd still be a bubble team.

I didn't expect the season to start off this badly but at least #97 will look great on a Stars jersey.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
So, with us playing Chicago on the second night of a b2b, feeling a little pessimistic, so say this team is really bad this year, we get a top three pick and somehow get Spezza resigned anyway, do we make a run at Babcock?

Step away from the crack pipe. Even in our bad years without an owner Dallas never managed a top five pick. This team is right on schedule for that fantastic mediocre pick 8-14th. Spezza re-signing sounds hilarious when he gets 12 minutes tonight. Babcock may want a new gig but I'm not sure what Dallas has to sell him on at this point.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Honestly, that's the only thing we got hyped for. But a lot of people also knew our defense was borderline terrible. I guess people assumed offense could outweigh the terrible defense. But it's not.

I knew it wasn't good enough to compete in the West, but not this terrible. Might I say I lot of Dallas fans and writers on Defending Big D (and I occasionally lurk on there) were positive Goligoski and Daley had turned a corner after last year's somewhat successful season and were expecting better things from this defensive unit. Daley looks like a better d-man, but Goligoski looks like he's regressed to the same mediocre on-again, off-again d-man he has been with the Stars. Surprisingly though, Dillon and Jordie Benn have been awful from what I've read. Losing Nemeth would be this catastrophic, who knew. Looks to me like some heads are going to roll in Dallas if nothing has changed by December.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
I knew it wasn't good enough to compete in the West, but not this terrible. Might I say I lot of Dallas fans and writers on Defending Big D (and I occasionally lurk on there) were positive Goligoski and Daley had turned a corner after last year's somewhat successful season and were expecting better things from this defensive unit. Daley looks like a better d-man, but Goligoski looks like he's regressed to the same mediocre on-again, off-again d-man he has been with the Stars. Surprisingly though, Dillon and, Jordie Benn have been awful from what I've read. Losing, Nemeth would be this catastrophic, who knew. Looks to me like some heads are going to roll in Dallas if nothing has changed by December.

The tank just needs to be on this year. Daley has been great. Klingberg has been fantastic. Oleksiak is so and so right now.

Jordie is just awful at hockey and the only reason he is here. And this is my opinion of course, is because of, Jamie. Dillon is a special case, good rookie year, but slumped the year afterwards. This season, he has regressed. But he had an injury going into the playoffs last year and missed camp because of the contract situation. But, Nill was smart on not giving into what, Dillon wanted because, Dillon is showing he doesn't deserve a extension.

Now for Goligoski. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde basically. He'll have a good run, then go back to mediocre.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I knew it wasn't good enough to compete in the West, but not this terrible. Might I say I lot of Dallas fans and writers on Defending Big D (and I occasionally lurk on there) were positive Goligoski and Daley had turned a corner after last year's somewhat successful season and were expecting better things from this defensive unit. Daley looks like a better d-man, but Goligoski looks like he's regressed to the same mediocre on-again, off-again d-man he has been with the Stars. Surprisingly though, Dillon and Jordie Benn have been awful from what I've read. Losing Nemeth would be this catastrophic, who knew. Looks to me like some heads are going to roll in Dallas if nothing has changed by December.

Being skeptical of the team D was justified, but I don't believe anyone who thought it would be this bad.

I think Nill knew he was sort of gambling, but I also think he was justified in taking that gamble: Daley and Goligoski looked okay towards the end. Jordie made strides in his game last season, and Dillon looked like he just needed continued experience. Meanwhile, the young kids could step up because they seemed like they could break in. Instead it's been a perfect storm.

Daley and Goligoski not only couldn't sustain their play, but have regressed. Benn has not only regressed, but he's flat out radioactive. Dillon could probably be measured in sieverts too. Nemeth went down, and Jokipakka hasn't had his shot. Oleksiak is looking better (his minutes have been sheltered, but he's not facing easy competition so credit to him), but he was awful early.

Basically nothing went right for Nill.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Step away from the crack pipe. Even in our bad years without an owner Dallas never managed a top five pick. This team is right on schedule for that fantastic mediocre pick 8-14th. Spezza re-signing sounds hilarious when he gets 12 minutes tonight. Babcock may want a new gig but I'm not sure what Dallas has to sell him on at this point.

See that's the problem year after year of mediocrity. Never seen a horrible start to the season like this. The play just good enough to blow it in the third is just heart breaking game after game.

No crack pipe. Those were trying to be optimistic, in reality, we will probably finish somewhere just outside the playoffs, loose Spezza for nothing and roll back into training camp with the same defense and coaching staff... Does that sound like a future worth rooting for to you. I want the Stars to win and go on a long winning streak, but that's not going to happen without some change. And it is ridiculous how many 1 or none PP games we've had. This season so far has just been so frustrating with all the 3rd period loses.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Being skeptical of the team D was justified, but I don't believe anyone who thought it would be this bad.

I think Nill knew he was sort of gambling, but I also think he was justified in taking that gamble: Daley and Goligoski looked okay towards the end. Jordie made strides in his game last season, and Dillon looked like he just needed continued experience. Meanwhile, the young kids could step up because they seemed like they could break in. Instead it's been a perfect storm.

Daley and Goligoski not only couldn't sustain their play, but have regressed. Benn has not only regressed, but he's flat out radioactive. Dillon could probably be measured in sieverts too. Nemeth went down, and Jokipakka hasn't had his shot. Oleksiak is looking better (his minutes have been sheltered, but he's not facing easy competition so credit to him), but he was awful early.

Basically nothing went right for Nill.

He could be given the benefit of the doubt on how Dillon has regressed this season seeing how well he played the last 2 seasons and was banking on him trending upwards (and banked wrong), but IMO, he is at fault (given his vast experience) for hoping that Daley and Goligoski would be a true top pairing for the near future. They were never going to be the Keith-Seabrook, Chara-Seidenberg, or Subban-Markov. I know it's hard to pry top defensemen from teams or find them available in the UFA market, but his priorities should've been primarily on upgrading his defense in the off-season. Then again, one can't really blame him for acquiring Spezza and Hemsky and trying to cement a proper 2nd attack line. Too bad Hemsky has been a colossal disappointment.

I guess many here would like to do that 2010 draft all over again and pick Fowler over Campbell, right? :D

Last edited:

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
He could be given the benefit of the doubt on how Dillon has regressed this season seeing how well he played the last 2 seasons and was banking on him trending upwards (and banked wrong), but IMO, he is at fault (given his vast experience) for hoping that Daley and Goligoski would be a true top pairing for the near future. They were never going to be the Keith-Seabrook, Chara-Seidenberg, or Subban-Markov. I know it's hard to pry top defensemen from teams or find them available in the UFA market, but his priorities should've been primarily on upgrading his defense in the off-season. Then again, one can't really blame him for acquiring Spezza and Hemsky and trying to cement a proper 2nd attack line. Too bad Hemsky has been a colossal disappointment.

I guess many here would like to do that 2010 draft all over again and pick Fowler over Campbell, right? :D

We're one of the top teams at drafting past round 1.

Not really that concerned with scouting. Misfires are common with any team.

That said, this team would probably be in even worse position without that offense from Spezza. We still badly needed secondary scoring. And still do, unfortunately. A veteran signing at the time would have pushed the kids outside the picture since Daley, Goligoski, Benn, and Dillon have been mainstays. Klingberg probably never even gets his shot. Nill needed to see who could push for ice time, and he wouldn't have found that out by signing someone who wanted term.

Again, I'm not saying Nill did the right thing. Just that he did have a plan, and I think this team will be better long term for it.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
We're one of the top teams at drafting past round 1.

Not really that concerned with scouting. Misfires are common with any team.

Statistically it usually is a hit-or-miss after round 1. It's good that Stars can find gems here and there after the first round but it looks like they picked a bunch of high floor-low ceiling type of players during the Nieuwendyk era all across the board. I also understand misfires are common too, but for a team that really had defensive woes staring in its face six years ago (and to this date) and to not have addressed it in a defense-heavy 1st round draft in 2010 especially when a juicy pear fell on its lap, has to be unpardonable.

That said, this team would probably be in even worse position without that offense from Spezza. We still badly needed secondary scoring. And still do, unfortunately.

Like I said, it's definitely understandable to add a 1B center in Spezza (I'm sure Ruff using him with Seguin and Benn wasn't really the plan and is screwing things up) and create two strong offensive lines, but from the looks of it, all his offense may end up doing is helping the Stars to another bubble-finish.

A veteran signing at the time would have pushed the kids outside the picture since Daley, Goligoski, Benn, and Dillon have been mainstays. Klingberg probably never even gets his shot. Nill needed to see who could push for ice time, and he wouldn't have found that out by signing someone who wanted term.

What I meant was a trade involving some defensive regulars and/or prospects to upgrade the D for a long-term. Having a D squad made up of Klingberg, Jokkipaka, Nemeth, Dillon, Oleksiak, and Connauton doesn't look all that daunting to me from what I've seen from them so far, but who knows how that pans out. Funny thing though, a few months ago I did participate in a trade thread involving Giordano to Dallas and sided with other Dallas Stars fans who were against the trade citing that Giordano was not the piece they needed. Looks like I am eating some crow right now :D.

Again, I'm not saying Nill did the right thing. Just that he did have a plan, and I think this team will be better long term for it.

That still remains to be seen, I'd say, despite the blockbuster moves he has made. I just think the sins of Nieuwendyk's shoddy tenure will take longer to wash away. Too bad that the team is slumping like this during a season of renewed fan interest and high expectations. Does anyone think if the Stars tank this season that Ruff is gone?

Last edited:

MetalGodAOD*

Daley's been good on the PP but he's not been great at even strength or defensively. Not as bad as say Jordie or Dillon, but he's not exactly been a rock back there. He's had his share of turnovers and bad pinches too. The advanced stats back this up too, his EV shot differential is pretty bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad