So what happens if this team is actually bad?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Interesting tidbit:

Spezza(-9) and Hemsky(-7) are the worst and 2nd worst +/- players on the Stars respectively.

So their collective presence on the ice has coincided with more than a -1 goal differential/per game for us so far this year.

The team goal differential as a whole is -9.

Last edited:

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Interesting tidbit:

Spezza(-9) and Hemsky(-7) are the worst and 2nd worst +/- players on the Stars respectively.

So their collective presence on the ice has coincided with more than a -1 goal differential/per game for us so far this year.

And +/- is a worthless stat.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Interesting tidbit:

So you're saying if Jere Lehtinen played with Spezza we'd win more games?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Interesting tidbit:

And +/- is a worthless stat.
Well let's phrase it another way.

Spezza and Hemsky have been the biggest liabilities at ES amongst regular forwards. -1.47 and -1.83 GF/GA per 60 espectively. Fairly remarkable when you consider the amount of time Spezza has played with Benn/Seguin.

I expect them to improve since they're generating shots at a reasonable pace. But you have to wonder if their acquisition hasn't muddled the larger team identity. And we're still waiting for that 2nd wave of scoring.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I have to say, I wasn't sure what version of Hemsky we were going to get but I was optimistic that what he did with Spezza last year was an indicator of what we could expect. If Hemsky had shown anything tangibly positive this year scoring-wise we might actually have that second wave of offense.

Ruff is in a tough spot with him, he gave him a chance at the beginning with Spezza then earned a demotion, then he generated some chances and got another chance with Spezza, and now he's in limbo land. I really don't know what they should do with him but Ruff is giving him chances. If he were a prospect he would have been sent down after the first 8-10 games for seasoning, now I'm wondering if we should stick a fork in him.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
What if we put Eakin on the line with Spezza and Hemsky? Our 3rd and 4th line are doing pretty well the way they're constructed now, Eakin on wing with Spezza and Hemsky gives the 2nd line another option for taking the faceoff, and a defensive presence its missing.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Argh, where did the magic go from last year's post-trade deadline...

I'm sorry, but I'm so frustrated with Hemsky, knowing that he CAN do way better than this.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
What if we put Eakin on the line with Spezza and Hemsky? Our 3rd and 4th line are doing pretty well the way they're constructed now, Eakin on wing with Spezza and Hemsky gives the 2nd line another option for taking the faceoff, and a defensive presence its missing.

Yah, have been thinking for this for the past 2 games. Seems like a move that makes the most sense (as for now).

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
You know at this point nobody can really blame any of the forwards for not being able to do anything. This defense is so ****ing toxic that not even our forwards can do anything due to the system the team has to play.

Let's start with our 'offensive play' and zone entry's. All this team can do is rush into the zone, hope for at least one pass, and then take a low percentage shot. Want to dump and chase? Cool, go for it. Then when the forecheck actually does work and we attempt to keep possession somehow our defenders can NEVER hold the puck in the zone. So why would you even try to play possessive hockey at that point? You wouldn't, and that's why we will continue to see low percentage shots, horrible rushes, and zero slot presence until this horrendous defense is fixed.

Defensive zone coverage is beyond what you could even call mediocre. How the **** are NHL defenders allowed to still play when they can't even clear the ****ing slot? The most basic of basic defensive responsibilities! You learn that **** as a ****ing squirt for crying out loud.

Why should Benn, Seguin, and Spezza HAVE to continually be the ones mopping up crap in front of the net? They shouldn't. Is it great that they do? Yes, we're so blessed blah blah blah. That shouldn't be their responsibility until the slot is overloaded.

Breaking out of the zone when there's pressure is so hard to watch. It's either a blind pass behind the net or a shot around the boards (NOT THE GLASS LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE) None of these ****in' defenders aside from Klingberg, Neemth, Daley (occasionally) or Oleksiak (he still has some whiffs) can make a simple pass to get out of the damn zone. It's beyond atrocious. It's beyond embarrassing at this point that this group of players is even allowed off of the bench.

Dillon is **** now.

Benn is garbage.

Goligoski just got his job taken from him by a ****ing rookie.

This team needs big, physical defensemen ASAP. Until the slot is cleared regularly this team will continue to be bottom feeders who preach a nonexistent possession game.

The team has enough assets in Klingberg, Daley, Oleksiak, Honka, and honestly I'd even say Nemeth in players who can actually move the puck well. It's time to pair them with players who actually know what defending even looks like.

This mediocrity is so old now. All of this **** started when Zubov left, was escalated when Goligoski came in, and now we're still ****ed. Years later. Wake the **** up Dallas.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
You know at this point nobody can really blame any of the forwards for not being able to do anything. This defense is so ****ing toxic that not even our forwards can do anything due to the system the team has to play.

Let's start with our 'offensive play' and zone entry's. All this team can do is rush into the zone, hope for at least one pass, and then take a low percentage shot. Want to dump and chase? Cool, go for it. Then when the forecheck actually does work and we attempt to keep possession somehow our defenders can NEVER hold the puck in the zone. So why would you even try to play possessive hockey at that point? You wouldn't, and that's why we will continue to see low percentage shots, horrible rushes, and zero slot presence until this horrendous defense is fixed.

Defensive zone coverage is beyond what you could even call mediocre. How the **** are NHL defenders allowed to still play when they can't even clear the ****ing slot? The most basic of basic defensive responsibilities! You learn that **** as a ****ing squirt for crying out loud.

Why should Benn, Seguin, and Spezza HAVE to continually be the ones mopping up crap in front of the net? They shouldn't. Is it great that they do? Yes, we're so blessed blah blah blah. That shouldn't be their responsibility until the slot is overloaded.

Breaking out of the zone when there's pressure is so hard to watch. It's either a blind pass behind the net or a shot around the boards (NOT THE GLASS LIKE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE) None of these ****in' defenders aside from Klingberg, Neemth, Daley (occasionally) or Oleksiak (he still has some whiffs) can make a simple pass to get out of the damn zone. It's beyond atrocious. It's beyond embarrassing at this point that this group of players is even allowed off of the bench.

Dillon is **** now.

Benn is garbage.

Goligoski just got his job taken from him by a ****ing rookie.

This team needs big, physical defensemen ASAP. Until the slot is cleared regularly this team will continue to be bottom feeders who preach a nonexistent possession game.

The team has enough assets in Klingberg, Daley, Oleksiak, Honka, and honestly I'd even say Nemeth in players who can actually move the puck well. It's time to pair them with players who actually know what defending even looks like.

This mediocrity is so old now. All of this **** started when Zubov left, was escalated when Goligoski came in, and now we're still ****ed. Years later. Wake the **** up Dallas.

I understand the frustration. We all get it.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I didn't really read the long paragraphs to start with but starting from Dillon is **** now Benn is garbage all the way down was pretty accurate... frustration all around... And the game being so early gives us way to much time today to talk about it until the Stars world stops ending tmrw if we get lucky against Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad