So what happens if this team is actually bad?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
1st post so take it easy on me, but I was thinking about possible trades that would help us tank this year but make us competitive the next 2 years and while I tend to agree with you about Spezza, I wonder if you think we could get Larson and a 2015 1st for Spezza from Jersey? We could add a small bit if we needed.

First, I'm for tanking the season if we are still under .500 in 3 weeks or so. Mathematically and statistically, the odds of making the playoffs are dwindling with every point we aren't getting right now. Everytime we lose, we have to be that much better to overcome the hole we're digging. Due to either luck(depending on your point of view, it could be misfortune) or mediocrity, we having a good chunk of loser points that are keeping us alive for the time being...for now. Still too early to tank even though that's the gut instinct to a 7-game losing streak.

Spezza:

I doubt you get the first in that trade. I haven't watched him much, but I'm told by others on this board that he's not what we need, so I'm hesitant to do that deal unless we know Spezza won't resign.

Cold Medicine

Apr 4, 2014
The Stars have only 68 more games left in which they can make up the 6 point lead Winnipeg has, or 67 games to catch a 4 point lead if the Stars win the next game. Time to panic?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
While it's too early to panic, if we find ourself in this position at the end of this month I will happily begin to conduct the McDavid train.

Rune Forumwalker

May 11, 2006
The Stars have only 68 more games left in which they can make up the 6 point lead Winnipeg has, or 67 games to catch a 4 point lead if the Stars win the next game. Time to panic?

On the reverse they have that many games to lose the lead on Edmonton for last in the West and hopefully McDavid.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
People tend to think that Spezza is "old", and doesn't have the scoring touch that he used to have during the post-lock out era, but he was 4th in league with scoring just 2-3 years ago with 84 points on a line with Michalek and Greening.

He still has many games in him, so I would only make the trade if it's for a top tier pick...as much as how deep the draft is this year, I don't see many guys being able to immediately replace and rack up points at the pace as Spezza does (McDavid and MAYBE Eichel+α but the chances of them being involved in a trade with Spezza is VERY slim IMO).

It won't be a problem if this team could step their **** up and play to their potentials...sigh.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
People tend to think that Spezza is "old", and doesn't have the scoring touch that he used to have during the post-lock out era, but he was 4th in league with scoring just 2-3 years ago with 84 points on a line with Michalek and Greening.

He still has many games in him, so I would only make the trade if it's for a top tier pick...as much as how deep the draft is this year, I don't see many guys being able to immediately replace and rack up points at the pace as Spezza does (McDavid and MAYBE Eichel+α but the chances of them being involved in a trade with Spezza is VERY slim IMO).

It won't be a problem if this team could step their **** up and play to their potentials...sigh.

I don't think anyone believes that if Dallas got either McDavid or Eichel that they would put up points like Spezza next year. That's wholly unrealistic. The concern is if the defense doesn't improve why would Spezza re-sign here. He said he came to win and there's no reason to doubt him at his word so if the defense continues to flounder the question becomes at what position in the standings do you trade Spezza? Or if he refuses to sign an extension, for whatever reason be it monetary differences, term, or wanting to play on a true contender do you move him at the TDL.

If Dallas were lucky enough to get 1/2 that would help immensely but it has nothing to do with Spezza or his future here. That honestly rests in his own hands and whether he is willing to sign an extension. I personally believe, regardless of where the team is in the standing that if Spezza doesn't have an extension by the TDL, Dallas has to trade him. Not because that's best for the team this year or even next year but because they cannot let him walk for nothing. Whatever he brings back in trade can help fix the defense this off-season.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I don't think anyone believes that if Dallas got either McDavid or Eichel that they would put up points like Spezza next year. That's wholly unrealistic. The concern is if the defense doesn't improve why would Spezza re-sign here. He said he came to win and there's no reason to doubt him at his word so if the defense continues to flounder the question becomes at what position in the standings do you trade Spezza? Or if he refuses to sign an extension, for whatever reason be it monetary differences, term, or wanting to play on a true contender do you move him at the TDL.

If Dallas were lucky enough to get 1/2 that would help immensely but it has nothing to do with Spezza or his future here. That honestly rests in his own hands and whether he is willing to sign an extension. I personally believe, regardless of where the team is in the standing that if Spezza doesn't have an extension by the TDL, Dallas has to trade him. Not because that's best for the team this year or even next year but because they cannot let him walk for nothing. Whatever he brings back in trade can help fix the defense this off-season.

Nill will do everything in his power to keep Spezza here. If we lose Spezza, he's going to be very hard to replace. I just hope he can convince Spezza that we are heading in the right direction if this season continues to go down the drain.

Here's another question that I don't think has been posed...

What do we do with Hemsky if he can't find his stride? Cole v.2?

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Nill will do everything in his power to keep Spezza here. If we lose Spezza, he's going to be very hard to replace. I just hope he can convince Spezza that we are heading in the right direction if this season continues to go down the drain.

Well if we do tank and trade him, we can always still try and sign him as a free agent... If there was a chance to actually pull that off, that would be awesome, but way safer to resign him now.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Well if we do tank and trade him, we can always still try and sign him as a free agent... If there was a chance to actually pull that off, that would be awesome, but way safer to resign him now.

I just doubt Spezza wants to stay if the team continues to play poorly. What's the appeal for him? I would be all over resigning him in the off season if Dallas can go and fix the defense at the draft. But until that happens, and they continue to play poorly I can't imagine this scenario ending well.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

If Spezza goes to FA, I'm 95% sure he's gone. If he wants to stay he will sign before FA in all likelihood. If he wants to leave, he probably is gone to the highest bidder at the trade deadline to make a run for the cup...probably stays with that team unless the wheels come off. I guess there's always a chance he comes back though.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
I just doubt Spezza wants to stay if the team continues to play poorly. What's the appeal for him? I would be all over resigning him in the off season if Dallas can go and fix the defense at the draft. But until that happens, and they continue to play poorly I can't imagine this scenario ending well.

Can't overlook the fact that he's a family man and may not be too willing to uproot his family again. If he likes the area, the team and feels we're headed in the right direction it's a very real possibility he would re-sign despite the crap season.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth

Guess it depends on what happens, say we do trade him somewhere, say Chicago, he wins a cup, but they just don't have the cap room to resign him. Now he's got his cup, why not come back. Highly unlikely I know

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
It drives home the point though that the problems are the same ones that have transcended various regimes for many years now. Bad special teams, bad defense, bad backups, undisciplined penalty-takers.

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
Love the team, but watching other teams pump out depth and quality makes me envious/jealous. Still a bit away from being a contender I think, but slowly creeping forward.

I will keep watching hoping we get into the playoffs and hoping we draw Anaheim again. :)

Stargazer1111

Oct 19, 2014
Love the team, but watching other teams pump out depth and quality makes me envious/jealous. Still a bit away from being a contender I think, but slowly creeping forward.

I will keep watching hoping we get into the playoffs and hoping we draw Anaheim again. :)

As it stands, Anaheim would easily sweep this team.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014

Well if you want to hear some refreshing news, I've been watching the Texas Stars instead of subjecting myself to the current NHL misery, and Julius Honka has been far and away the most talented player on the ice in every game. I'm a big fan of Klingberg, and Honka has been just as good. He has amazing skill and poise at both bluelines, and he is not at all a one-dimensional offensive guy. He plays smart defense and you can tell that he understands when he can be physical. If he adds 15-20 lbs and any amount of height, he is going to be an NHL stud sooner than later. I'm really excited about the guy.

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
^^ Very nice. I wish we had someone to help shelter him when he gets the call up next year though. Makes me shudder thinking back on how Buffalo were thinking they would be getting Honka & Nichushkin for Myers. Maybe Seth Jones for Nichushkin straight up. lol

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
^^ Very nice. I wish we had someone to help shelter him when he gets the call up next year though. Makes me shudder thinking back on how Buffalo were thinking they would be getting Honka & Nichushkin for Myers. Maybe Seth Jones for Nichushkin straight up. lol

We'd have to add for Jones. No way Honka is available unless it's in a package for Yandle, Jones, or someone of that caliber.

Arno Dorian*

Sep 4, 2010
Austin, TX
Guess it depends on what happens, say we do trade him somewhere, say Chicago, he wins a cup, but they just don't have the cap room to resign him. Now he's got his cup, why not come back. Highly unlikely I know

I would be curious what kind of deal he could get from Chicago. I don't think they'll give Spezza the deal he wants.

Sports

Jul 12, 2011
So what happens if this team is actually made up of barbecue spare ribs?

Would you eat them?
Would they ice a better product?
Is ribs on ice even kosher?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad