So what happens if this team is actually bad?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm not blaming Kari at all. I've thought he's elite for a while, still do. I'm saying that one goal in particular was fairly soft.

Yeah I agree. If he lets in 2 or 3 of those in the game or lets in soft goals without broken plays or screens in front of him then I can understand the criticism since he should be stopping those. But when you look at the entire play before that goal you can point out a number of places where the skaters should have done things differently. Kari will cover for those mistakes 9 times out of 10 but he isn't perfect and he's going to let in some bad goals. It's the defense's job not to put him in a position where he has to be perfect to win a game.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Yeah I agree. If he lets in 2 or 3 of those in the game or lets in soft goals without broken plays or screens in front of him then I can understand the criticism since he should be stopping those. But when you look at the entire play before that goal you can point out a number of places where the skaters should have done things differently. Kari will cover for those mistakes 9 times out of 10 but he isn't perfect and he's going to let in some bad goals. It's the defense's job not to put him in a position where he has to be perfect to win a game.

9 times out of 10 makes him a bad goalie.

9.5 times out of 10 makes him a good goalie.

;)

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
At this point, it's not poor positioning. It's what he and Valley have decided to do.

Is there some kind of assumption monster picture? How could you even remotely, possibly, potentially, maybe know what Valley is telling him to do?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
"Lindback was first off the ice today, and Kari Lehtonen stayed late and worked on several areas of his game. Ruff doesn’t discuss goalie decisions before games, but that seems to be a clear sign Lindback could be getting the start Saturday against the Sharks."

-Heika

Oh boy. Looks like we're going for the franchise record for losses in-a-row.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Is there some kind of assumption monster picture? How could you even remotely, possibly, potentially, maybe know what Valley is telling him to do?
Of course I don't know. But I'd be surprised to find out otherwise given this has been pretty standard short side positioning for Kari for years.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
If we continue sucking near the deadline and Spezza wants to extend his contract with us, would you guys do it?

I definitely would, but the reason I am asking because I know some of you guys would rather trade him for a nice pick and a young asset that can jump into the lineup come trade deadline day.

Brand New Stars

Really depends on what you could get. I'd re-sign over a late first that would take years to get to the NHL.

usefulfiction

Jan 10, 2006
Prosper, TX
If we continue sucking near the deadline and Spezza wants to extend his contract with us, would you guys do it?

I definitely would, but the reason I am asking because I know some of you guys would rather trade him for a nice pick and a young asset that can jump into the lineup come trade deadline day.

you sign him in a heart beat.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Really depends on how high the pick is...

As much as how deep the draft depth is, the middle-low tier is probably going to take 1~3 years to come into the NHL. Than they will have to adjust to the game, which is going to take another few years...

I know Spezza is not "young" anymore, but considering his age, he still has enough games in him to make Dallas a better team for years to come.

A proven #1 center (career PPG) with back issues or a middle-low tier first round pick...I'd re-sign Spezza.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If I could get Spezza on a 3 year 21/24 million deal, you re-sign him. If he wants 5+ years I trade him. There's nothing wrong with keeping him, I'm just not sure how that happens if Dallas continues to suck. The guy wants to win. He's going to choose someplace to play where he thinks that can happen and isn't in the fishbowl like Ottawa. Not sure where that is but he's going to have a ton of offers on the table in the summer if he doesn't re-sign here and I'd be real reluctant on Nill's part to let him walk for free if the defense doesn't improve.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
When it comes to the sell-off I think it makes more sense to spread out the dispersion of the assets rather than simply waiting until the deadline. You don't want to flood the market on your own with players you don't want. Spread it out, but keep veterans moving out and start the process of restocking picks for this draft.

McGinley

Captain, my captain
Feb 13, 2013
Yawn. Don't even care. I expect nothing from this mediocre team now. Oh well, I'm sure they'll luck their way to some useless points and miss the playoffs while not getting a top pick.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
So a more immediate possibility, what happens if we tie our franchise losing streak? I feel like we can beat Arizona, but I honestly don't have much confidence we will. If we lose to the Coyotes, next up is the Kings and Wild, we could definitely tie that losing streak then.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
When it comes to the sell-off I think it makes more sense to spread out the dispersion of the assets rather than simply waiting until the deadline. You don't want to flood the market on your own with players you don't want. Spread it out, but keep veterans moving out and start the process of restocking picks for this draft.

I'd be down but traditionally there's not much trade movement till early December then again in January after the holidays. Cap space and injuries play a part. I'm all for it but don't expect any real movement till a few weeks further in the season.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Spezza signed for a few years is worth more than a pick or a young prospect.

1st post so take it easy on me, but I was thinking about possible trades that would help us tank this year but make us competitive the next 2 years and while I tend to agree with you about Spezza, I wonder if you think we could get Larson and a 2015 1st for Spezza from Jersey? We could add a small bit if we needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad