So what happens if this team is actually bad?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If the team is bad, then we are going to draft really high in a stacked draft.

I would be delighted to get number 3/4 and draft Hanifin/Kylington! I've seen what Ekblad is doing over in Florida & Jones in Nashville.

The opportunity to pair either with Honka and let them both grow would be amazing to watch. Hanifin/Kylington - Honka for the next 10 years, yes please.

You don't take Kylington at 4.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Who do you have us taking at #4 if we got it? Just curious, as I think Nill might draft for need here if he doesn't get one in trade this year.

It's hard to pass up big centremen like Strome and Zacha... even the smaller Matt Barzal.

But I think our scouting department and Jim Nill would take Lawson Crouse. Big body, uses his frame exceptionally well and plays in all situations. He just fits that Dallas Stars mould that Jim Nill emphasizes so often. :yo:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
What pisses me off about this team is we're 4 pts back of a wildcard spot even though we lost 8 straight.

Jesus ****ing christ

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
What pisses me off about this team is we're 4 pts back of a wildcard spot even though we lost 8 straight.

Jesus ****ing christ

Even during that terrible losing streak, I thought you guys were crazy to talk about McDavid and Eichel even if it was semi-jest. First off, I'm one of the idiots who has us making the playoffs. Feel free to ignore my opinions.

But even if our offense keeps drying up when our goaltending is there, and our goaltending disappears when our offense is firing on all cylinders (an unsustainable trend), we're still not beating Edmonton, Buffalo, Columbus (man have injuries decimated that team), and Colorado for the McDavid sweepstakes.

Part of it all has to do with the Western Conference getting inexplicably stronger. Chicago has 7 losses, and even the division leading Blues have 6. The divisions are just brutal.

If we did miss the playoffs, we're barely in Zacha/Kylington territory because we're still not worse than Carolina, Arizona, and maybe Florida (only played 18 games, more wins than regulation losses, and a league leading 6 OT losses...another year or two, less Dave Tallon stupidity, and that team is scary).

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
A quarter season is in the books and we sit 8th in the draft right now, and seem more likely to improve than regress. Even if we do, the bottom four teams have a significant points gap we are unlikely to overtake.

Talk of getting the 1-4 picks is patently ridiculous for this team. 5-14 is probably more like what we might get if we miss the playoffs.

Might as well focus our "who will we pick" speculations around that.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
To be fair, Nill has made some moves that have improved the teams play tremendously. And sitting Jordie was another thing we didn't see coming. Until 2 games ago we were sitting 4th to last and just got beat by the canes giving up tons of goals to a team that would have trouble scoring on an empty net. Not to mention Klingberg playing out of his mind!

Your statement is very true now, but to be fair, things have changed considerably in a short time.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
StarsTX,

OMG, I would hope its a coaches decision as to who to play. However, it is possible Nil had some input, without being a Jerry Jones type GM and they had open discussions about it. It seems they discussed the Dillon trade, as a coach and GM on the same page would.

Even before the last few moves, I didn't view the Stars as a bottom 4 team, just by looking at the roster. Your opinion might vary.

It is amazing however, to see a GM really reshape a team. Nil is almost textbook, and other than Gainey from 96-99, for whom we know the results, it is the most impressive display of GMery that we have seen around here.

I am in the camp that says we will have one more D here sooner than later, and probably a different second goalie, even if only Rynnas.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The Stars aren't gonna be anywhere near a top five pick for the next several years unless we get ruined by injuries. We can dream, but it's simply not going to happen. There's too much talent on this team, and Kari is still too good of a goaltender to let us fall any further.

I Am Sidney Crosby*

The Stars aren't gonna be anywhere near a top five pick for the next several years unless we get ruined by injuries. We can dream, but it's simply not going to happen. There's too much talent on this team, and Kari is still too good of a goaltender to let us fall any further.

Unfortunately I agree. Even if the worst case scenario were to happen, Kari getting injured for the season, Nill is too smart/good of a GM to not make a move and keep us winning.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Ruff slightly ripped Lindback on 1310

If you want to have a good show, look at Lindbacks play against Montreal last season in the playoffs. It's quite impressive how he has no idea how to play. The only reason he is still in the league and people keep giving him shots is because of his size. Thats it

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
We still aren't out of the woods yet. We keep nearly losing games because of bad third periods and we keep winning 1-goal games against bad teams. I said this before the homestand and I'll say it again...I wanted to see this team either knock it out of the park and go 5-0 / 4-1 or really eff it up for the tank. Option 2 is gone, so now we need to win against Minny for progress towards the playoff race. A middle of the road, get you further from a top 5 pick and no closer to the playoffs 3-2 homestand is going to irritate me.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
OttMorrow,

Yes, 7 of 10 is disappointing after being blown out by a bad team, struggling with EDM and blowing the lead against the Wild. Even nearly losing the 4 goal lead against LA was bad. So, they didn't hit this home stand out of the park, even if it was fairly good.

Even in the good years, those few when the Stars missed the PO they had some injuries (getting Tip fired) or just couldn't keep up in the third. Even the last five years of PO misses, they looked competitive, generally, but didn't match intensity of the opponent in the third and/or just kept making silly mistakes to offset (and more) their good plays.

Short version, after watching last night's game, I think I have come to the opinion that this team is, as constituted, actually bad. Will likely miss the playoffs. Will probably be close, will probably have winning spurts, but just don't seem capable of consistently good play.

In one way, I would bet Nil will say it doesn't matter. Making the PO at the 8th spot missing by a spot, either way the goal is long term progress.

But, I also have to wonder - if we have replaced all of Cole, Gonchar, Horcoff next year with our younger options and maybe one UFA, we will be even more inexperienced. Kari will be a year older, and perhaps his downslide due to age has started.....who knows.

Building a winning hockey team and winning culture is more than just acquiring the players. Just not sure if the culture to win is there, and if not, how it gets there?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The points total from the home stand is nice, but it really sucks how they keep finding a way to give two points to every division opponent.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
OttMorrow,

Yes, 7 of 10 is disappointing after being blown out by a bad team, struggling with EDM and blowing the lead against the Wild. Even nearly losing the 4 goal lead against LA was bad. So, they didn't hit this home stand out of the park, even if it was fairly good.

Short version, after watching last night's game, I think I have come to the opinion that this team is, as constituted, actually bad. Will likely miss the playoffs. Will probably be close, will probably have winning spurts, but just don't seem capable of consistently good play.

In one way, I would bet Nil will say it doesn't matter. Making the PO at the 8th spot missing by a spot, either way the goal is long term progress.

But, I also have to wonder - if we have replaced all of Cole, Gonchar, Horcoff next year with our younger options and maybe one UFA, we will be even more inexperienced. Kari will be a year older, and perhaps his downslide due to age has started.....who knows.

Building a winning hockey team and winning culture is more than just acquiring the players. Just not sure if the culture to win is there, and if not, how it gets there?

I don't think the team is bad...worse than that...mediocre. We are stuck and have been stuck in a mediocre no man's land for years now.

I fear that we're stabilizing back to our rightful place given the talent we have...in the middle of the pack. Our 0-8 record against the Central proves that we aren't "good", but we aren't top-5 pick bad either. I wish we had the balls and the right guy to trade up for on draft day.

How do we build a culture of winning? Well I think we are on our way...slowly. The handful of Calder Cup Champions are going to help us win at the next level in due time. Seguin will help get us there assuming he can produce when he hasn't been able to to date...in the playoffs. Nichushkin devoloping into the game-breaking guy we think he can be will help.

Picking in the top 5 isn't necessarily the answer for everyone...see Edmonton who is stuck in a rut at the bottom...but take a team like us who is a middle-of-the-pack team and add to it an Eichel or top pairing stud D in the draft that is NHL ready(think Ekblad). That would put us over the ridge and into contention IMO...maybe add a goalie with a track record of playoff success. Maybe the late round magic we've been employing will get our D into shape in the next few years...say if Lindell or someone else turns into the bonafide 1st pairing partner for Klingberg, we won't need to tank or trade the farm for an Ekblad type.

There is no sure bet to take the team to the next level, but I know that continually just missing the playoffs or 1st Round defeats doesn't get you there. It breeds no confidence. Above talent, winning when it counts breeds confidence and more wins.

Last edited:

jacksongs

Feb 1, 2009
Can we start talking about whether Benn as captain is working?

Sure there's nobody that jumps out at you to replace him, but I'd prefer to saddle a vet with the C in an attempt to give this team some composure.

Benn's beast mode is inspiring but all we need is someone that ensures the players maintain high standards for 100 nights a year, Has Benn been doing that? He hardly has a track record, despite what you might think about 'captain-like' on-ice chats with young players like Oleksiak.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I think the piece of paper on Jamie Benn's sweater that he may or may not be drawing midichlorians from to be a better leader is the least of this team's problems.

Aside from which, he has 22pts in 23 games. He's been a tad inconsistent in games, but on the whole has been very good, and is on pace for another career year. I'd rather him lead by example than coach a bunch of adults into giving a **** when they're paid to give a **** to begin with.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Can we start talking about whether Benn as captain is working?

Sure there's nobody that jumps out at you to replace him, but I'd prefer to saddle a vet with the C in an attempt to give this team some composure.

Benn's beast mode is inspiring but all we need is someone that ensures the players maintain high standards for 100 nights a year, Has Benn been doing that? He hardly has a track record, despite what you might think about 'captain-like' on-ice chats with young players like Oleksiak.
It doesn't matter. The vets on the team don't need an extra piece of cloth to be leaders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad