So what happens if this team is actually bad?

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
So realistically with where this team is heading even if it semi tanks later in the year, is there anybody to get excited about in the 7 range? Realistically, even bringing up rookies and selling off vets we just can't compete with the bottom 3 or 4 teams in suckiness. 6 or 7 seems likely the best case scenario I tank mode. If that happens do we still get a future stud caliber player in this draft and is there anyone that can be a contributor after a year of developing, or is it the usual?
Basically, is there going to be someone worth getting really excited about picking at 6 or 7, or is it pretty consistent talent wise all the way back to the bubble teams picks?

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I've said countless times that this draft is deep. You can draft a gem anywhere in the top 15.

So what's the point in tanking if you can just as good of a player at 15 as 7? We aren't finishing bottom 4 even if we tank. So assuming you are correct and I will just have to take your word for it, there isn't a huge drop off after the elites are gone, so might as well just finish wherever, hope for the best and if that happens to be 12 to 14 oh well, it's basically as good as the 7th pick.
I'm still team McDallas for the record but what your saying has me in the just win mode.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Why tank? Because winning is stupid and each position you drop in the standings brings you a little closer to the Connor McDallas sweepstakes.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Nichushkin McDavid Seguin
Benn Spezza Hemsky
Roussel Eakin Ritchie
Stop just stop I can't take it anymore....

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So realistically with where this team is heading even if it semi tanks later in the year, is there anybody to get excited about in the 7 range? Realistically, even bringing up rookies and selling off vets we just can't compete with the bottom 3 or 4 teams in suckiness. 6 or 7 seems likely the best case scenario I tank mode. If that happens do we still get a future stud caliber player in this draft and is there anyone that can be a contributor after a year of developing, or is it the usual?
Basically, is there going to be someone worth getting really excited about picking at 6 or 7, or is it pretty consistent talent wise all the way back to the bubble teams picks?

Seems like there is a drop after the 1st 7 or so. You don't wanna be after 10...pretty much the same as usual. Not to say this draft isn't deep with the Zacha's, Merkley's, Crouse's, but the closer to the 1st and 2nd Tier we are, the more blue-chip, sure-bet the prospects are.

McDavid
Eichel

Hanifin
Marner
Strome
Kylington
J Roy

Barzal
Svechnikov
Maybe one or two more I'm forgetting

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
McDavid
Eichel

Hanifin

Crouse
Strome
Marner
Zacha

Merkeley
Kylington
White
Connor
J Roy
Barzal
Svechnikov
Sprong

That's 15 talented guys right there- without even ranking guys like Zboril, Bittner, Werenski, Konecny and Rantanen.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
McDavid
Eichel

Hanifin

Crouse
Strome
Marner
Zacha

Merkeley
Kylington
White
Connor
J Roy
Barzal
Svechnikov
Sprong

That's 15 talented guys right there- without even ranking guys like Zboril, Bittner, Werenski, Konecny and Rantanen.

Crouse has only 16 pts through 24 games which makes me trigger say to take him so high. If you've seen him play, please provide details. Also I think guys like Marner and potentially Strome are going to be in a race with Hanifin for that 3rd Overall. Great draft in terms of depth. Looks like we can potentially do even better than Honka this year even if we are in the middle of the first round again.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Forgot Kylington. Just added him to that second tier.

Have you watched Crouse? If so, please provide a scouting report.

Of course I've watched Crouse. Look at my location :laugh:

He's a massive dude that stands out each shift. He's got the size and the skill to be a great PWF in the NHL. His points aren't high right now, but they've started to come- but he's brought it all season long.

Nice to see Hockey Canada and others finally start to acknowledge him.

(crushing hit at 45 second mark)

Some videos for you.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Of course I've watched Crouse. Look at my location :laugh:

He's a massive dude that stands out each shift. He's got the size and the skill to be a great PWF in the NHL. His points aren't high right now, but they've started to come- but he's brought it all season long.

Nice to see Hockey Canada and others finally start to acknowledge him.

(crushing hit at 45 second mark)

Some videos for you.

Thanks for the videos. Impressive.

How does he compare to Nick Ritchie last year in your opinion?

Is he close to NHL-ready?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I understand the nicety of someone being near NHL ready, but as someone suggested to me when I suggested concentrating on a position of need, like D, in this draft, I think you draft for pure talent, regardless of position or readiness.

I doubt the Stars are Cup contenders next year anyway. They can fill in with UFA of various levels if need be.

No one can be sure how the mix will work out, but whoever we draft can come on board as a lower level player when the current crop of young prospects has matured into the "in their prime" core of the team.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Thanks for the videos. Impressive.

How does he compare to Nick Ritchie last year in your opinion?

Is he close to NHL-ready?

Last year Ritchie was spoonfed quite often but he has a wicked shot. I remember last year in Kingston Ritchie came to town and ran show and it blew me away.

I expected Crouse to do the same thing this year and we'll likely see him explode in January.

If I had to choose I'd take Crouse, the better all around player.

Primetimey*

Benn - McDavid - Seguin
Nichushkin - Spezza - Hesmky
Roussel - Eakin - Ritchie
McKenzie - Fiddler - Garbutt

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Last year Ritchie was spoonfed quite often but he has a wicked shot. I remember last year in Kingston Ritchie came to town and ran show and it blew me away.

I expected Crouse to do the same thing this year and we'll likely see him explode in January.

If I had to choose I'd take Crouse, the better all around player.

That's a ringing endorsement. You aren't the only one that thinks so highly of him either. Still would like to see his numbers improve a bit, but his skating and shot look excellent. He's got the size and if his compete-level is what you say it is, he could be something. How about his hockey sense? Could that be a factor? Whenever I see only 4 assists, I question the grey matter. Any cause to question his toolbox?

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I think you draft for pure talent, regardless of position or readiness.

By that logic you'd draft a Hemsky over a Benn. Other factors need to be taken into account other than just talent. Hockey IQ, maturity, character, compete-level, and NHL-readiness need to be a factor in the selection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad