Speculation: Smith injured Again- Edmonton just got more desperate for a Goalie

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
How does that 19 year old in the SEL help anything right now? Just curious. I'm not saying they shouldn't have picked him, he's a great prospect, but I'm not sure how he would help right now.

How does Bourgault?

If were looking at " right now" then Holland should have traded that pick for an NHL player.

Getting Wallstadt could have solidified the crease for Edmonton for the next 10-15 years.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
If only Oilers had a stud goalie in the system

who is 19 yrs old
6'3
210 lbs

with a ridiculous

.923 Save %, 1.82 GAA in the Swedish Elite League!

If Halak waives, Id do

Halak
Hamonic

for

2nd rnd pick
5th rnd pick
Koskinen
Hamonic hasn’t played in forever but sure you can have him. Would do that deal for sure but would like Marody added.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
there were so many goalies available this offseason lol

Edmonton has a history/reputation of being a non- desirable place for free agents to sign.

So any goalie that was available would have to have been attained via trade.

Not defending Edmtonon's choice in Smith/Koski but thats just the reality.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
If only Oilers had a stud goalie in the system

who is 19 yrs old
6'3
210 lbs

with a ridiculous

.923 Save %, 1.82 GAA in the Swedish Elite League!

If Halak waives, Id do

Halak
Hamonic

for

2nd rnd pick
5th rnd pick
Koskinen
You would still have the same number of goaltenders then. If Smith is out for a prolonged period of time, you need depth, not lateral swaps. Get rid of everything else but I’d be happy with Halak for a 2nd

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Edmonton has a history/reputation of being a non- desirable place for free agents to sign.

So any goalie that was available would have to have been attained via trade.

Not defending Edmtonon's choice in Smith/Koski but thats just the reality.

Even with this being the case, I'm willing to bet that there was a goalie out there who would have signed on to backstop a team with the game's best two players, even if it meant taking an overpayment to do so.

It just boggles the mind that Holland didn't address this during the offseason. I feel so so bad for Oilers fans. I can't imagine what it would have been like as a Pens fan if management had botched the Crosby era as badly as the Oilers are botching the McDavid era thus far.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні!
May 4, 2006
Even with this being the case, I'm willing to bet that there was a goalie out there who would have signed on to backstop a team with the game's best two players, even if it meant taking an overpayment to do so.

It just boggles the mind that Holland didn't address this during the offseason. I feel so so bad for Oilers fans. I can't imagine what it would have been like as a Pens fan if management had botched the Crosby era as badly as the Oilers are botching the McDavid era thus far.
Yeah it sucks, but unfortunately it's nothing new since Katz took ownership of the team.

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
How does that 19 year old in the SEL help anything right now? Just curious. I'm not saying they shouldn't have picked him, he's a great prospect, but I'm not sure how he would help right now.
seems like the oilers MO, rush prospects and then complain why they didnt work out haha

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I remember raising the goaltending issue in the summer and being told by a number of Oiler fans that the goaltending would be fine based on last years stats for Smith and Koskinen.
It’s hardly shocking that a 40 year old goalie is becoming injured regularly.

Reactions: 63 others

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Don’t think your wrong on that. Idk why some oilers fans were defensive on the holland hiring at the time (well I do but that’s besides the point), his track record in Detroit the past decade spoke for itself.

Dumb dumb contract.

In terms of results, as much as things are in a slide right now, I think Holland has done a good job.

He took over a team that was cap deadlocked and missed the playoffs twice in a row and proceeded to impetus the record by 50% two years in a row.

That being said, it may in fact be the case that he has bungled moving this team forward from two straight years of being I'm the race to win the division to be a real competitor.

Honestly I think this season for Edmonton either goes incredibly well going forward with the diversity they have faced and are easy better for it, or it explodes. Hard to say at this point.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
You would still have the same number of goaltenders then. If Smith is out for a prolonged period of time, you need depth, not lateral swaps. Get rid of everything else but I’d be happy with Halak for a 2nd

Dont think the Canucks are going for it but regardless i dont think they'd want to run Demko to the ground with all the upcoming back to backs that will be happening thanks to all the game cancellaitons.

Canucks will need a backup. Spencer Martin is their only available, NHL ready goalie after Demko, Halak.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad