WC: Slovakia 2023 Roster Talk

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Any roster projections with only the players available (so no KHL players or NHL players likely to be busy in the play-offs)?
Tough to say, there is still a lot players, especially in CZ extraliga play offs. Our squad is already pretty decent, obviously with offensive leaders like Hrivik, Cehlarik, Holesinsky, Lantosi, even Takac. Cacho is big surprise, scoring a lot of goals this season in national team. There should be a lot of changes in our defense, after two games vs SUI, only Gernat and Ivan played well. Koch and Grman (Vitkovice) are available from CZ play offs, Ceresnak (Pardubice) would be a huge boost. We have at least 5 players in CZ finals - Okuliar, Rosandic (HK Mountfield), Marincin, Hudacek, Dano and maybe even Roman from Trinec. In Slovak finals, there is probably only Jedlicka, fantastic player for bottom 6. Richard Panik is already with our team but he still cant play because of insurance or something. From NHL/AHL, our GM is already in touch with Knazko, Ruzicka (CGY) and Fehervary (WSH).

Reactions: Czechboy and Namejs

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I think I was pretty clear with my assessment of him over a year ago and his showing this season has very much confirmed that

Or, in short, no
Your assessment on him before olympics last year was that Slaf is mediocre player and your 4th liner is better than him.. I think you were wrong the same way like you are wrong now.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Your assessment on him before olympics last year was that Slaf is mediocre player and your 4th liner is better than him.. I think you were wrong the same way like you are wrong now.
This was my assesment of him:
"As for Slafkovsky, he's 17 and doing pretty bad in Liiga. His prospects or draft ranking is a completely different metric. You have to be extremely naive to think that just by being drafted in the top 10 he's somehow magically an impact player at the age of 17.

His showing in Liiga and the Finnish junior league clearly shows that he's still struggling at the pro level. He might improve next year. Or not. Draft is just an investment in his stocks, but no one knows whether he will pan out in the future."

Bringing up a full-grown 4th liner playing in Liiga for comparison is not a slight at anyone other than people who overrate kids without realizing they're fanboying over only what their new toy CAN become. A good 17 year old prospect is not better than a mediocre pro player in terms of function at the time. Which is true and which was my entire point.

My other point was that he was scoring at an unfeasible, impossible rate, which cannot last over the long term. And that's irrespective of his age.

Now, at the age of 19, Slafkovsky is no longer at the level of a Latvian 4th liner, he's producing about at the same rate as Zemgus Girgensons, who is our 3rd line C with best players available.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Now, at the age of 19, Slafkovsky is no longer at the level of a Latvian 4th liner, he's producing about at the same rate as Zemgus Girgensons, who is our 3rd line C with best players available.
Latvian 3th liners produce 16 points in 15 games in OG and WC?

Reactions: jcbio11

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
List of his points scored last year:
1. PP vs. France
2. Empty net vs. France
4. PP vs. Kazakhstan
5. Penalty shot vs. Kazakhstan
6. vs. Italy
7. vs. Italy
8. PP vs. Denmark
9. vs. Denmark

If you would pair a Latvian 3rd liner with Tatar and give him PP1 time against all the Italys and Kazakhstans of the world, yes, scoring at a PPG rate is possible, especially, if you're lucky.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
1. PP vs. France
2. Empty net vs. France
4. PP vs. Kazakhstan
6. vs. Italy
7. vs. Italy
8. PP vs. Denmark
9. vs. Denmark

If you would pair a Latvian 3rd liner with Tatar and give him PP1 time against all the Italys and Kazakhstans of the world, yes, scoring at a PPG rate is possible, especially, if you're lucky.
Your problem is that you are looking only at stats and points, not at general impact on the game. Hockey community in Slovakia came to the same statement that he made every line better at national team.
Tatar was struggling till Slaf was playing with him at last WC. Hrivik and Cehlarik were struggling at olympics until Slaf joined their line. That means something.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
1. PP vs. France
2. Empty net vs. France
4. PP vs. Kazakhstan
6. vs. Italy
7. vs. Italy
8. PP vs. Denmark
9. vs. Denmark

Even if we'd agree on this, I'd like to hear which Latvian third liner is 17-18 years old :dunno: Since what Slafkovsky wasn't impressive, we should see teenagers dominate Kazakhstan and Italy quite frequently. Yet, somehow we don't.

Reactions: cg98

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
1. PP vs. France
2. Empty net vs. France
4. PP vs. Kazakhstan
6. vs. Italy
7. vs. Italy
8. PP vs. Denmark
9. vs. Denmark

I am pretty sure he scored goal against switzerland so next time if u trying to be smart get your facts right

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
1. PP vs. France
2. Empty net vs. France
4. PP vs. Kazakhstan
6. vs. Italy
7. vs. Italy
8. PP vs. Denmark
9. vs. Denmark

And olympics?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
1. PP vs. France
2. Empty net vs. France
4. PP vs. Kazakhstan
6. vs. Italy
7. vs. Italy
8. PP vs. Denmark
9. vs. Denmark

Okay, Tatar wasn’t at the Olympics. Better figure out how many he scored on the PP and empty nets there then, surely those 7 goals weren’t by his own production and skill right? :thumbu:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Slafkovsky isn’t playing this year so who cares about what he did in the past, this thread is about the team this year and the players.

Anyways, I’d like to see Honzek get a look at some point in the pre-tournament games but every passing day it seems less and less likely

Reactions: stastny12 and jaro

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Officially confirmed - Regenda and Knazko joining the team. 2 players with NHL games under their belt this season. Love it.

Now if we could only get Fehervary I think this team could do some real damage in the medal rounds.

Reactions: Omark

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
1. PP vs. France
2. Empty net vs. France
4. PP vs. Kazakhstan
6. vs. Italy
7. vs. Italy
8. PP vs. Denmark
9. vs. Denmark

Did you actually watch those games? Because I did and I thought Slafkovsky was a dangerous man on the offense in every single one of them. Sometimes he was the most dangerous man from our team there. So you're either trolling, which I applaud, because you're certainly getting reactions from people or you don't want to admit your assessment of the player was completely off.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Hey guys havent read much about Slovak team yet. How is your overseas reinforcements looking so far?

From NHL Ruzicka (or will he be sent to AHL for playoffs?), Fehervary is free. How does Slaf looking, can he make it ?

And from AHL Knazko, Regenda, Chromiak?

Also does the coach considered for example Mesar, or Honzek?

Reactions: Czechboy

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Hey guys havent read much about Slovak team yet. How is your overseas reinforcements looking so far?

From NHL Ruzicka (or will he be sent to AHL for playoffs?), Fehervary is free. How does Slaf looking, can he make it ?

And from AHL Knazko, Regenda, Chromiak?

Also does the coach considered for example Mesar, or Honzek?
Knazko and Regenda are confirmed. Ruzicka and Fehervary are already in Slovakia but they still have to think about playing at the WCH. With Fehervary, I understand ... He had some injuries this season + contract year but i dont know what is the problem with Ruzicka. Nope, Slaf is done and Chromiak is possibility.

Reactions: martygod12

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Knazko and Regenda are confirmed. Ruzicka and Fehervary are already in Slovakia but they still have to think about playing at the WCH. With Fehervary, I understand ... He had some injuries this season + contract year but i dont know what is the problem with Ruzicka. Nope, Slaf is done and Chromiak is possibility.
Thanks for the info. Damn I really want to see Ruzicka at WCH, hope ho comes after all.

Tatar Is possible ? I dont know how his contract situation looks like.

Some more AHL guys maybe will be available too, plus you still have a lot of great players in ELH finals.

Looks like you will put together strong team, And I am starting to worry about that match on 12.5. :D especially considering how our D looks So far lol

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Thanks for the info. Damn I really want to see Ruzicka at WCH, hope ho comes after all.

Tatar Is possible ? I dont know how his contract situation looks like.

Some more AHL guys maybe will be available too, plus you still have a lot of great players in ELH finals.

Looks like you will put together strong team, And I am starting to worry about that match on 12.5. :D especially considering how our D looks So far lol
Well, we still have like 6 players in CZ finals + 1-2 in SVK finals. Also, Peter Ceresnak is still not decided yet. Koch and Grman from Vitkovice are also confirmed. Our whole D (except Ivan and Gernat) played poorly vs Czechia and Switzerland. Tatar is also in contract year so I dont have high hopes. Yeah, should be interesting team, hopefully Ruzicka and Fehervary change their minds, that would be nice boost for our team. Well, CZ-SVK games are always interesting. Its not a hardcore rivalry like in early/mid 2000s when both national teams were stacked with NHL players but its still fun. Next year tournament should be fun, I'm pretty sure all best Czech and Slovak players would like to play there :D

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Fehervary IMHO makes or breaks this team at this point. We'll have enough firepower up front and it looks like we'll actually have decent competition for the number 1 goalie spot. What's missing is solid D corps. Fehervary would anchor our 1st d-pairing and move everybody one spot down on the depth chart.

I see us as a legit medal contender with him.

Reactions: Czechboy

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Im gonna throw out some interesting names...

Martin Reway keeps shinning. 12 points in 13 playoffs games...it would be a misstake not to have him on this team, even if only as 13th and pp-time...

Marek Hecl is young guy who had a great season....could he be a canidate?

How about Radovan Bondra, the guy is massive and had a great playoffs.

Peter Zuzin i wanna mention aswell. He never played in WC, i remember he was good in OG and he had a great playoffs in the slovakian league this season.

There is also David Mudrak young guy with monster size who had a very good season.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
It’s a shame Cernak got injured, I think this is the year Toronto finally wins a round. And maybe Cernak would have come. That would be such a massive ad. Also though he’s played a ton of hockey in the past 3 years and would understand why he needs/wants some rest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad