Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
As of right now, I think 2022 draft may be a bit of a disappointment as to what we were expecting the number of players to be selected. Right now there is imo 4 players who will absolutely get selected. Nemec, Mesar, Slafkovsky and Petrovsky. Next, I think Kmec has very good chance, but will have to continue to prove it throughout the season. However, after that it seems it could be dire. Repcik’s season in Lethbridge has been a disaster, meaning that his draft chances will likely be banking on his HGC performance and if he makes the WJC team which I think is very unlikely. With each passing game, Elias is looking less likely, he seems to have had a real difficult time adjusting to NA game. Zlnka, will need to continue producing and get closer to PPG if he is to be considered. It’s a shame, as looking back on HGC, we beat Sweden and it will look like they could have at least 2X the number of players drafted from that team in comparison to our team. One silver lining is that with the attention of Nitra, due to Nemec, Sykora may get consideration. However, I still have to look at these decisions and question them. Repcik in particular, he was never even put in top 6 role. Rather have him back with U18 project if I’m being honest.

Nemec, Slafkovsky -> 1st round
Mesar -> 1/2nd round
Petrovsky -> Late second/early third round
Kmec -> 3rd to 7th round

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I don't think the quantity of players matter as much as the quality. There are drafts where 5-10 Slovaks were drafted and there was only one player among the ones drafted who actually has had a long NHL carerr. Then you have a draft where just 2 players were drafted but those two happened to be Palffy and Stumpel.

I will only be disappointed by the 2022 draft if in 5 years time there aren't 2-3 Slovak NHLers who were picked in 2022.

Of course it would be nice to have 10-15 players drafted and at least 5 of them become NHLers, but that's little more than a pipe dream.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
As of right now, I think 2022 draft may be a bit of a disappointment as to what we were expecting the number of players to be selected. Right now there is imo 4 players who will absolutely get selected. Nemec, Mesar, Slafkovsky and Petrovsky. Next, I think Kmec has very good chance, but will have to continue to prove it throughout the season. However, after that it seems it could be dire. Repcik’s season in Lethbridge has been a disaster, meaning that his draft chances will likely be banking on his HGC performance and if he makes the WJC team which I think is very unlikely. With each passing game, Elias is looking less likely, he seems to have had a real difficult time adjusting to NA game. Zlnka, will need to continue producing and get closer to PPG if he is to be considered. It’s a shame, as looking back on HGC, we beat Sweden and it will look like they could have at least 2X the number of players drafted from that team in comparison to our team. One silver lining is that with the attention of Nitra, due to Nemec, Sykora may get consideration. However, I still have to look at these decisions and question them. Repcik in particular, he was never even put in top 6 role. Rather have him back with U18 project if I’m being honest.

Mesar -> 1/2nd round
Kmec -> 3rd to 7th round

It looks like, you have good points. Still, there are sometimes surprises like Demek last year, od Maximilian Pajpach and we could continue. So, if our national team will make it past 1/4, it could be also this year.

Regarding to Elias. Yeah, he has a very rough time in USHL. But you cant write him off. He is big and has potential, no doubt. Look for example to Adam Huska draft season - 5 games in USHL with GAA 4,65 and bellow average 85,8 %! And drafted in 7. round. That could be a case of Elias.

Reactions: hellwar9

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I think that Zlnka in the USHL and Sykora in the Slovak extraleague played well in the last matches. Zlnka is starting to adapt and productivity is coming. Sykora is starting to have more time on the ice in addition to better performance and productivity is also coming. Btw is still only around 1/3 of the season, the situation can change every month, 4 players should be sure, 5-6 is realistic. Also, as @alko writes, can still surprise someone like Demek or other names in the past.

james12

Mar 31, 2018
I think that Zlnka in the USHL and Sykora in the Slovak extraleague played well in the last matches. Zlnka is starting to adapt and productivity is coming. Sykora is starting to have more time on the ice in addition to better performance and productivity is also coming. Btw is still only around 1/3 of the season, the situation can change every month, 4 players should be sure, 5-6 is realistic. Also, as @alko writes, can still surprise someone like Demek or other names in the past.

Love Sykora's game. Despite he's undersized he can outsmart the opponent along the boards very smoothly. With the exposure he's given, mainly thanks to Nemec plays for the same team, I'm 90% sure he'll be drafted. Hope he'll take 4th center position at WJC.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It looks like, you have good points. Still, there are sometimes surprises like Demek last year, od Maximilian Pajpach and we could continue. So, if our national team will make it past 1/4, it could be also this year.

Regarding to Elias. Yeah, he has a very rough time in USHL. But you cant write him off. He is big and has potential, no doubt. Look for example to Adam Huska draft season - 5 games in USHL with GAA 4,65 and bellow average 85,8 %! And drafted in 7. round. That could be a case of Elias.

I rather see Elias as a 2023/2024 prospect.

Apart from USDP goalkeepers, no goalkeeper born in 2004 playing in the U.S.A is effective.

The goalkeeper n ° 1 in front of Elias was born in 2001.

For 2022, we must especially look at Latkoczy. The U20 tournament will be very important to define his chances of being selected.

Currently, I do not think this is sufficient.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

Mesar -> 1/2nd round
Kmec -> 3rd to 7th round

The draft doesn't look quite as promising as a year or two ago, but still, things are looking pretty good. We could see five or six Slovaks drafted next summer, and the number could be the same the following year. Getting a dozen players drafted in two years, with quite a few in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round, would be the best thing to ever happen Slovak hockey in a very long time.

Also, we don't know how the pandemic affects things. I mean, we could see more overagers getting selected next summer than normal, simply because many of them couldn't properly showcase themselves last season. For example, iff a guy like Simon Groch continues playing men's hockey in the Czech Republic, and has a good WHJC, he could end up one someone's radar.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
The draft doesn't look quite as promising as a year or two ago, but still, things are looking pretty good. We could see five or six Slovaks drafted next summer, and the number could be the same the following year. Getting a dozen players drafted in two years, with quite a few in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round, would be the best thing to ever happen Slovak hockey in a very long time.

Also, we don't know how the pandemic affects things. I mean, we could see more overagers getting selected next summer than normal, simply because many of them couldn't properly showcase themselves last season. For example, iff a guy like Simon Groch continues playing men's hockey in the Czech Republic, and has a good WHJC, he could end up one someone's radar.
Agree with this. Its about creating new goals. For example ... When you look at Slovak drafts in the last XY years, the most Slovaks drafted in one draft was always 5. We had 5 in 2018, 2015 and 2009. We should try to beat this. That should be our goal. The last time we had more than 5 Slovaks drafted was in 2005 - 7 players - 2 first round picks (Zagrapan, Mihálik). That type of draft like in 2005 is completely realistic in 2022.
Also its still only November. Martin Pospisil had terrible first half of his draft season. Zero production, just a lot of fights. But he really start to play good hockey and scoring points after new year I believe and look and him now. 4th rounder and signed contract. There is still a lot of time for players like Zlnka or Elias for example.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

Based on the U20 tournament this past weekend, Groch does not belong at the WJC. Even though he probably will go because we don’t have the quality depth. Petrovicky as well looked completely lost against Norway, a team that has no business dominating the game in that way(no offense). On the other hand Strbak was very impressive, may be the second best 2023 eligible Slovak.
I was most impressed by Maros Jedlicka, the progress he has shown in the past year is shocking. If there is one guy who could be drafted as an overager after a good WJC showing it’s him. I am seriously contemplating him being in top 6 or first line at WJC.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Very soon, but class 2007 looks really promising:

Jan Chovan - U16 SM-sarja - according to the 1,61 ppg in U16 SM-sarja, probably the best 07 in Finland for now
Michal Svrcek - Slovakia U18 - similar performances and productivity, although Filip Mesar had at the same age, there are even similar types of players
Samuel Misak - Slovakia U18 2 - lower quality league, he would need to play at better level, but he has better productivity than Dalibor Dvorsky had at the same age, and I think that this season the league has a bit higher quality, than when Dalibor played here... very dominant performances
Luka Radivojevic - U16 Div.1 - currently the best defender from this birthyear from Slovakia

Late born 07's:
Tobias Tomik - Slovakia U18 - he is really good, I saw some of his highlights and this kid could be sniper what Slovakia needs, he had similar productivity as the last time has in the same age in the same league Juraj Slafkovsky, but he was much stronger and taller
Adam Nemec - Slovakia U18 2 - Simon Nemec's brother, has the same, if not higher potential than Simon
Vladimir Dravecky - Czech U17 - it's not often that such a young player gets a chance in this age group in the Czech Republic, definitely a potential player to watch

Interesting players can also be:
Martin Kalis, Alex Misiak, Michal Cunderlik, Michal Capos, Kristian Kriska, Marcel Kimak, Adam Salon, Jakub Dubravik, Adam Kalman, ?Roberto Leonardo Henriquez?, Tomas Chrenko (late 07)

It's really too early, but today the 2007 class is shown at a minimum one, if not two levels better than 2006. And it's good that it's not just about the birthyears 2004 and 2005.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
At 13, Simon Nemec played in U18 level 1, something Adam does not do at 14.

This 2007 generation seems as promising as the 2004 generation, but players should not be overestimated.

Some seem disappointed to see only 5 Slovaks drafted this year for sure.

Personally, I have never seen more. Always said there should be 6 Slovaks in 2022.

5 is the low estimate, 6 the middle estimate. Beyond that it would be a good surprise.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Jan Chovan is very interesting, his production is the best among 07 players in U16 and he has played game or 2 less than guys behind him. I wonder if he has success and moves to U18 league in new year, if he will get HGC consideration. 2006 looks to be a bit weaker of a class, luckily late birthday Chromiak helps that draft out.

Also it’s about time former players start having great hockey sons. United States and Canada have it, yet we haven’t seen a top Slovak prospect from son of former player be drafted highly.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Jan Chovan is very interesting, his production is the best among 07 players in U16 and he has played game or 2 less than guys behind him. I wonder if he has success and moves to U18 league in new year, if he will get HGC consideration. 2006 looks to be a bit weaker of a class, luckily late birthday Chromiak helps that draft out.

Also it’s about time former players start having great hockey sons. United States and Canada have it, yet we haven’t seen a top Slovak prospect from son of former player be drafted highly.

Not just Canada and US, you will see former players have their sons rising through the ranks from Finland, Czech , Sweden etc.

I have to ask, what is the opinion from Slovak perspective of young prospects like Chovan etc going to Finland to develop? Some Czechs have had success with the Sweden route ( Pastrnak, Vrana ). Kopitar also went to Sweden to develop and Dvorsky and Ciernik are currently looking good over there. In Finland though , there haven't been nearly as much successes from other countries prospects and it seems some recent Slovaks are having a hard time moving up the ranks there. It also seems to be a challenge for young talented Finns to get into an ideal situation with a Liiga team. Do you guys prefer your prospects go elsewhere like Sweden or North America juniors or are you okay with the Finland route?

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Not just Canada and US, you will see former players have their sons rising through the ranks from Finland, Czech , Sweden etc.

I have to ask, what is the opinion from Slovak perspective of young prospects like Chovan etc going to Finland to develop? Some Czechs have had success with the Sweden route ( Pastrnak, Vrana ). Kopitar also went to Sweden to develop and Dvorsky and Ciernik are currently looking good over there. In Finland though , there haven't been nearly as much successes from other countries prospects and it seems some recent Slovaks are having a hard time moving up the ranks there. It also seems to be a challenge for young talented Finns to get into an ideal situation with a Liiga team. Do you guys prefer your prospects go elsewhere like Sweden or North America juniors or are you okay with the Finland route?
It’s an interesting discussion to have, both Czech and Slovak prospects have been moving to Finland more recently, while Sweden there is a few more historical cases. I believe there is benefits and drawbacks to both systems. In Sweden, it’s probably easier to adapt as I’m pretty sure that English is more widely spoken so that may help with adjusting to new coaching and with teammates. From my understanding, the move to Sweden is quite costly from people I have asked. Therefore, some players with more wealthy parents may take Swedish road. Additionally, in Sweden, it seems they are more willing to advance players who are above their current level. For example, Dvorsky playing in Allsvenskan and Fehervary also getting SHL time before his draft year. In Finland, it may be more difficult for these players to adjust. Also I think Swedish and Finnish hockey is stylistically a bit different. I had wished Sisik had chosen Sweden and it’s focus on skill development over Finland. In Finland, there has been a bit of a disappointment with Knazko and Sisik. Slafkovsky, opinion is divided as demonstrated in his thread. NA can also be a challenge but it remains the best development league in the world. I think USHL may become more appealing for Slovaks, but so far that route hasn’t had the same success as CHL.

Yet still, looking back at the past 3 drafts. Of the four players selected, 1 moved to Sweden, 1 moved to Finland and 2 were developed in slovakia. I think the case of Jakub Demek is a model that should be looked at. Here’s a player that very few would be drafted. In his DY he played in Slovakia U20, Slovak second league and Slovak first league. His numbers weren’t outstanding in each league. However, he was drafted and it can be seen now with his WHL production that there was something there, helped greatly by the U18 project.

Ultimately, players and parents will choose where it is best for their goals. If I was a top end prospect, it may be best to go to NA or Finland, Sweden. But I think the mid level guys are best suited to be developed in the Slovak league. Perhaps a guy like Repcik would be faring better if he had remained in Slovakia after his great HGC performance.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
It’s an interesting discussion to have, both Czech and Slovak prospects have been moving to Finland more recently, while Sweden there is a few more historical cases. I believe there is benefits and drawbacks to both systems. In Sweden, it’s probably easier to adapt as I’m pretty sure that English is more widely spoken so that may help with adjusting to new coaching and with teammates. From my understanding, the move to Sweden is quite costly from people I have asked. Therefore, some players with more wealthy parents may take Swedish road. Additionally, in Sweden, it seems they are more willing to advance players who are above their current level. For example, Dvorsky playing in Allsvenskan and Fehervary also getting SHL time before his draft year. In Finland, it may be more difficult for these players to adjust. Also I think Swedish and Finnish hockey is stylistically a bit different. I had wished Sisik had chosen Sweden and it’s focus on skill development over Finland. In Finland, there has been a bit of a disappointment with Knazko and Sisik. Slafkovsky, opinion is divided as demonstrated in his thread. NA can also be a challenge but it remains the best development league in the world. I think USHL may become more appealing for Slovaks, but so far that route hasn’t had the same success as CHL.

Yet still, looking back at the past 3 drafts. Of the four players selected, 1 moved to Sweden, 1 moved to Finland and 2 were developed in slovakia. I think the case of Jakub Demek is a model that should be looked at. Here’s a player that very few would be drafted. In his DY he played in Slovakia U20, Slovak second league and Slovak first league. His numbers weren’t outstanding in each league. However, he was drafted and it can be seen now with his WHL production that there was something there, helped greatly by the U18 project.

Ultimately, players and parents will choose where it is best for their goals. If I was a top end prospect, it may be best to go to NA or Finland, Sweden. But I think the mid level guys are best suited to be developed in the Slovak league. Perhaps a guy like Repcik would be faring better if he had remained in Slovakia after his great HGC performance.

Interesting analysis thanks . I agree, unless you are an elite talent , decent icetime can be very tough to get in Liiga for a young forward prospect, . There may be better routes but it is indeed still a recent development route for foreigners. Of course language barrier may be another underestimated factor as well

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
There is also Geonhu Ra in Dukla Trenčín

FirstThickFlounder-size_restricted.gif

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
New top 10 rankings in the OP

Summary:

2022 class:
  • Simon Nemec overtakes the #1 spot again
  • Adam Sykora climbs three spots
  • Adam Zlinka drops a couple of spots
  • Marian Mosko and David Natny cracks the top 10
  • Peter Repcik and Daniel Chovaniak removed from top 10

2023 class:
  • Daniel Jencko climbs above Ondrej Molnar
  • Jan Korec is back in the top 10, and Martin Misiak also makes the cut
  • Leo Eperjesi and Tomas Pilat drops outside the top 10
  • Juraj Pekarcik was added among the honorable mentions

2024 class:
  • Theo Kiss climbs into the 2nd spot
  • Michal Liscinsky, Tobias Pitka and Andrej Klapica joins the top 10
  • Peter Kovac, Stanislav Gron and Marcus Saxa falls outside the list

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Sykora above Elias.

Sykora will surely be drafted. Elias it's very uncertain. For me he doesn't deserve it. If a franchise does this, it is because it will have anticipated a possible progression.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
New top 10 rankings in the OP

Summary:

2022 class:
  • Simon Nemec overtakes the #1 spot again
  • Adam Sykora climbs three spots
  • Adam Zlinka drops a couple of spots
  • Marian Mosko and David Natny cracks the top 10
  • Peter Repcik and Daniel Chovaniak removed from top 10

2023 class:
  • Daniel Jencko climbs above Ondrej Molnar
  • Jan Korec is back in the top 10, and Martin Misiak also makes the cut
  • Leo Eperjesi and Tomas Pilat drops outside the top 10
  • Juraj Pekarcik was added among the honorable mentions

2024 class:
  • Theo Kiss climbs into the 2nd spot
  • Michal Liscinsky, Tobias Pitka and Andrej Klapica joins the top 10
  • Peter Kovac, Stanislav Gron and Marcus Saxa falls outside the list
It's pretty accurate I think, though I'd easily have Molnar 4th for 2023 and Eperjesi top 8 at least

Reactions: Elvs

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Sykora above Elias.

Sykora will surely be drafted. Elias it's very uncertain. For me he doesn't deserve it. If a franchise does this, it is because it will have anticipated a possible progression.

My rankings are my own personal rankings, not nessecarely who I think will be drafted higher. For example, if I had to guess right now, I'm thinking Slafkovsky will be selected ahead of Nemec. But still, personally, I'm ranking Nemec first.

I'm well aware of Elias struggles early in the season, but he's only played seven games. It's way too early to write him off after such a small sample size, when a string of good games can make his svs% a lot better.

Sykora climbed three spots since my previous rankings just a couple of months ago. That's a very good climb. If he continues having a strong season, and if Elias continues to struggle, he will surely surpass him on my list soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad