Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Slafkovsky 4th, Nemec 11th on MacKenzie’s preseason list. Exciting times for Slovak hockey for sure. I don’t think there was ever a better chance to have two players go top 10. I guess 2000 was the closest with Gaborik (3) and Marcel Hossa (16). Although in the end, far more important than their draft position, is that they continue to improve and fulfill their potential.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
Slfakovsky needs to start producing tho. I feel like he has all the tools and looks great on the ice but his effectiveness and finishing is not there yet. Hope it will come with more experience

Reactions: hellwar9

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, people will soon start to doubt his high-end skills if this continues and start comparing him to a more meat-and-potatoes type of power forwards. Then again, the NHL draft is very much not about how you start but how you finish.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Slfakovsky needs to start producing tho. I feel like he has all the tools and looks great on the ice but his effectiveness and finishing is not there yet. Hope it will come with more experience

Did you saw the games with him on roster ? I mean, maybe he doesnt score, but maybe he delivers in another way.

Reactions: Faterson

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
He went undrafted this summer, but worth pointing out is that Lubomir Kupco is on fire to start the season. Compared to 6 points in 10 games in the Czech U20 league last season, he's got 16 points (9+7) in 8 games this season so far. He's among the league leaders in points.

Reactions: Faterson

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He went undrafted this summer, but worth pointing out is that Lubomir Kupco is on fire to start the season. Compared to 6 points in 10 games in the Czech U20 league last season, he's got 16 points (9+7) in 8 games this season so far. He's among the league leaders in points.
Who was the last relevant player to spend D+1 in the Czech U20? All I see amongst comparables are some mediocre Czech Extraligers.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Still, its CZE U20.

Who was the last relevant player to spend D+1 in the Czech U20? All I see amongst comparables are some mediocre Czech Extraligers.

I'm not saying he's an NHL level prospect. I'm merely pointing out that he seems to have taken a step or two. If he keeps this up, and sees some time in the men's league, he could be a candidate to make the Slovak team for the U20 World Junior championship. Or so I would think.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I'm not saying he's an NHL level prospect. I'm merely pointing out that he seems to have taken a step or two. If he keeps this up, and sees some time in the men's league, he could be a candidate to make the Slovak team for the U20 World Junior championship. Or so I would think.
Indeed, his numbers have gotten even better. He’s at 22 points in 9 games now. I think it would be hard for him to make this WJC team, but next year certainly could be a top 9 option.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He now has 29 points in 11 games, of course still only Czech u20 league. But still almost 3 ppg :eek:

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
He now has 29 points in 11 games, of course still only Czech u20 league. But still almost 3 ppg :eek:

He needs to start playing at a higher level. Among men in the Czech Republic and it does not matter whether the top tier or lower tier men's league. Alternatively, move to junior leagues in Scandinavia, or the USHL. The Czech junior doesn't give him much anymore, he needs more competitive matches to grow and progress.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He needs to start playing at a higher level. Among men in the Czech Republic and it does not matter whether the top tier or lower tier men's league. Alternatively, move to junior leagues in Scandinavia, or the USHL. The Czech junior doesn't give him much anymore, he needs more competitive matches to grow and progress.

The progression is still as spectacular as it is unexpected. I'm still betting on 6-7 Slovaks for 2022. Only these are not the same players behind the Nemec / Slafkovsky / Mesar trio.

Elias, Zlnka, Sykora and Repcik are not in the game. I rather see Kmec, Petrovsky. Maybe Kupko and Natny.

It is good news that Demek and Kupco are experiencing strong growth. This raises the level of the 2003 generation and allows us to hope to have a competitive Slovakia from the U20 2023 tournament with Nemec, Slafkovsky, Dvorsky who will probably be there in 2024.

Reactions: Elvs and hellwar9

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
He reminds me typologically Erik Cernak, but his upside is a question. At the moment I don't consider him as a prospect, for a draft, but that can change quickly. I'm curious about him.
Watching last few PG games, I actually see more of Moritz Seider-lite in Kmec. He’s seemed to have improved his skating tremendously and looks very confident on the smaller ice surface. He gets a lot of pucks on the net as well, good slap shot. I doubt it’s sustainable but if he keeps up let’s say around .8 ppg or 1 ppg we might be talking about a top few rounds, maybe even first round pick here. Having watched several MJ warriors games for Baco, another draft eligible dman Mateychuk is playing there. Right now Kmec is out scoring him and I think looks overall just as good. Mateychuk is listed as high as 16 on some lists. Button has him at 30 and Sportsnet has him at 20.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Watching last few PG games, I actually see more of Moritz Seider-lite in Kmec. He’s seemed to have improved his skating tremendously and looks very confident on the smaller ice surface. He gets a lot of pucks on the net as well, good slap shot. I doubt it’s sustainable but if he keeps up let’s say around .8 ppg or 1 ppg we might be talking about a top few rounds, maybe even first round pick here. Having watched several MJ warriors games for Baco, another draft eligible dman Mateychuk is playing there. Right now Kmec is out scoring him and I think looks overall just as good. Mateychuk is listed as high as 16 on some lists. Button has him at 30 and Sportsnet has him at 20.

But in that case, it would be a big improvement. I didn't see him play in PG Cougars, my comparison was based mainly on last season and the HG Cup. But I'm really glad he's doing well, maybe he'll keep doing it.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Overager Simon Groch (2003) in the Czech Republic begins to play among men. He is currently playing in 1. defense pair, his average time on the ice is around 14 minutes. Overager Lubomir Kupco (2003) also played the first match among men this season, although only the lower Czech league. But he should play other matches. In the end, the 2003 birthyear does not have to be poor either.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
November 9 update:

2022 class:
  • Slafkovsky overtakes the #1 spot from Nemec.
  • Petrovsky and Kmec among climbers.
  • Elias falls a little.
  • Chovaniak makes the top 10 while Gabriel falls outside.

2023 class:
  • Strbak and Honzek climbs a couple of spots.
  • Molnar falls a bit.
  • Jencko, who wasn't in the top 10 last season since he barely played any games, is now in.
  • Barcik and Pilat also makes the top 10.
  • Sisik, who at one point ranked #1, falls outside the top 10.
  • Kukumberg and Zold is also on the outside looking in.

2024 class:
  • A first top 10 ranking was made, with Jakub Chromiak at the top.
---

Link to new rankings here.

Keep in mind, these rankings are just for fun. I have very limited viewings of these players, especially this season, and have yet to watch any of the players in the 2024 class. In order to rank them, I mostly compared their stats and what leagues they've played in at different ages. A bit of reputation, reading through this thread, also factored in.

If there's some new kid who's showed up out of nowhere, it's possible I missed them completely. Please let me know if that's the case.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
November 9 update:

2022 class:
  • Elias falls a little.

2023 class:
  • Molnar falls a bit.
  • Jencko, who wasn't in the top 10 last season since he barely played any games, is now in.

2024 class:
---

Keep in mind, these rankings are just for fun. I have very limited viewings of these players, especially this season, and have yet to watch any of the players in the 2024 class. In order to rank them, I mostly compared their stats and what leagues they've played in at different ages. A bit of reputation, reading through this thread, also factored in.

If there's some new kid who's showed up out of nowhere, it's possible I missed them completely. Please let me know if that's the case.

You could add Juraj Pekarcik at eliteprospects.com to the honorable mentions in draft 2023. For example he is new kid who's showed up out of nowhere.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
November 9 update:

2022 class:
  • Elias falls a little.

2023 class:
  • Molnar falls a bit.

2024 class:
---

Please, make a XLS File (or open Google Sheet) for every month. In a few years, we could look, how it was month after month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad