Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
I have no idea. I've never seen him play. Last season, the leagues were not played because of the corona, so there is a worse overview of 06 and 07 birthyears. But yes, 11 points is a great performance, during the season I can watch him. But if he is really talented, he will play sooner or later in the U18 league. The biggest talents in this age already play in the U18 league. Mesar, Molnar, Ridzon, Jencko, Kurila, etc. All of them played in the U18 at the same age, similar to Svrcek this season. Slafkovsky and Nemec even played it a year younger.

Today, together with Svrcek, probably the best slovak 07s. But it's just the beginning of the season, but Chovan was fascinated me from the highlights also last season.

I watched today's game and from what I saw Salon is really talented. 1+3 today and agr 6+9 in 2 games, I think it's a matter of time for him to move up to the sub18.

Reactions: hellwar9

james12

Mar 31, 2018
2007 class seems to have a lot of talent according to my knowledge. Chovan has obvious physical advantage over others, but he strongly reminds me of Martin Necas skill wise and typologically. Svrcek is really good, followed by Radivojevic, Misak, Misiak, Capos and some others.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I watched today's game and from what I saw Salon is really talented. 1+3 today and agr 6+9 in 2 games, I think it's a matter of time for him to move up to the sub18.

The fact that he dominates the U16 slovak league may, but also may not mean anything. In the past, many players dominated at the same age in the U16 league, and this did not always mean that the player is a great talent. The competition is not great there. He needs to start playing a higher age category as soon as possible. I still haven't seen him play, I'll try to make time in the near future.

2007 class seems to have a lot of talent according to my knowledge. Chovan has obvious physical advantage over others, but he strongly reminds me of Martin Necas skill wise and typologically. Svrcek is really good, followed by Radivojevic, Misak, Misiak, Capos and some others.

I agree. But still very early. But today, the birthyear 07 looks much better than the birthyear 06. The 2024 draft really looks weaker compared to 2022 and 2023. Today, only Jakub Chromiak has a good chance for the first or some of the early rounds. And he is not even 06, but late born 05 and then the performance gap... and then 06's. But some 06's can still jump to the level of, for example, Peter Repcik. Still have a lot of time. Jozef Silhar is a big unknown to me. I saw him play a long time ago, before Corona started. But today, I have no idea. We will see.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
The fact that he dominates the U16 slovak league may, but also may not mean anything. In the past, many players dominated at the same age in the U16 league, and this did not always mean that the player is a great talent. The competition is not great there. He needs to start playing a higher age category as soon as possible. I still haven't seen him play, I'll try to make time in the near future.

I agree. But still very early. But today, the birthyear 07 looks much better than the birthyear 06. The 2024 draft really looks weaker compared to 2022 and 2023. Today, only Jakub Chromiak has a good chance for the first or some of the early rounds. And he is not even 06, but late born 05 and then the performance gap... and then 06's. But some 06's can still jump to the level of, for example, Peter Repcik. Still have a lot of time. Jozef Silhar is a big unknown to me. I saw him play a long time ago, before Corona started. But today, I have no idea. We will see.

I agree that if it goes to an older team it may be better for its development, but I can't generalize. You see, players like Repcik, Zlnka, Sykora, Gabriel played in the same league at the same age for most of the season and we're seeing what kind of players they've become.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Gradually new players appear.

I read that there was a weakening of Team Slovakia Junior.

Probably not. The oldest and best will leave each year. But they will be replaced each year by younger players whose level we do not know.

For players born in 2007, Chovan and Svrcek already look like very good prospects ahead of Filip Mesar.

It is now indisputable that Dvorsky is indeed the best forward born in 2005 playing in Sweden (Hi Victor Lustig).

Chovan already leads the statistical points table in U16 Finland among players born in 2007.

Svrek already has a very high production in U18 Slovakia. And we can think that the level of this league has risen compared to previous years.

This start of the season seems to confirm what I was confirming. Slovakian hockey is back and the hockey planet once again counts 7 major nations.

In the next drafts, we will enter an era where European players will approach the 50% mark of selected players.

For 2022, I hardly see less than 100 selected European players.
Be careful with statement like this. Yes, they have talent but there was a lot of players who looked very good in U16-U20 league but they were unable to translate that in men's level. That's just completely different hockey. Mesar was able to do that thanks to his tremendous hockey IQ and hockey sense + he's great skater too.
Anyway, from 06 I would mention Tomas Pobezal. He's playing for Team Slovakia in junior league and second tier Slovak league and I've been very impressed by him.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Be careful with statement like this. Yes, they have talent but there was a lot of players who looked very good in U16-U20 league but they were unable to translate that in men's level. That's just completely different hockey. Mesar was able to do that thanks to his tremendous hockey IQ and hockey sense + he's great skater too.
Anyway, from 06 I would mention Tomas Pobezal. He's playing for Team Slovakia in junior league and second tier Slovak league and I've been very impressed by him.
I agree, Mesar has developed to become an elite skater which has helped him greatly. Maybe these guys will too, but still so early to tell. I continue to by impressed by Chovan though. 7 goals in 4 games in u16 Finnish league, I think he could be ready for u18. And it’s not even physical parameters that allow him to dominate, like what helped Jecho. He is really smart with the puck and good skater too. Mini dark horse to make HGC team in a year.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Marko Stacha is likely to be traded to another WHL team with an import spot open or return to Europe as Vancouver will use Fabian Lysell and Vikman (starting goalie).

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
It looks like some of our imports in CHL (and also Zlnka in USHL) will take longer to adapt. but I'm still curious about the season. But I'm looking forward to the beginning of the season in NA.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
It looks like some of our imports in CHL (and also Zlnka in USHL) will take longer to adapt. but I'm still curious about the season. But I'm looking forward to the beginning of the season in NA.
I agree. I think so far our best two at adapting have been Kmec and Bačo. With the latter having 3 pre season goals. Kmec had an assist and played first line on both PK and PP. Sramaty as well seems to have had a good debut game. I think with Repcik and Petrovsky, and Zlnka it will take them some time to get used to the smaller ice surface. Geci i believe will struggle the most this season, as he really isn’t a great skater and doesn’t play with the same kind of drive as the others, he’s more finesse. But let’s hope he can prove me wrong. I am hoping for big seasons from Myklukha, Demek and Chromiak.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
So far it’s looked like Elias has really had a difficult time adapting to the USHL game. He was pulled in his first start last night, and did not have a good pre season either. Hopefully he can adjust soon.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
So, the season has begun. Today, I would rank top 10 04's for me something like that:

1.Juraj Slafkovsky
2.Simon Nemec
3.Filip Mesar
4.Servac Petrovsky
5.Peter Repcik
6.Alex Ciernik (late 04)
7.Rastislav Elias
8.Jozef Viliam Kmec
9.Adam Zlnka
10.Martin Misiak (late 04)
HM: Adam Sykora, David Natny, Marian Mosko, Patrik Gabriel, Zigmund Zold (late 04), Honzek (late 04)

Adam Zlnka is still a dark horse for me, even though he is slowly adapting to the USHL. He has the best skating from this slovak class.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antiillafire

puckfan

Nov 26, 2020
So, the season has begun. Today, I would rank top 10 04's for me something like that:

1.Juraj Slafkovsky
2.Simon Nemec
3.Filip Mesar
4.Servac Petrovsky
5.Peter Repcik
6.Alex Ciernik (late 04)
7.Rastislav Elias
8.Jozef Viliam Kmec
9.Adam Zlnka
10.Martin Misiak (late 04)
HM: Adam Sykora, David Natny, Marian Mosko, Patrik Gabriel, Zigmund Zold (late 04), Honzek (late 04)

Adam Zlnka is still a dark horse for me, even though he is slowly adapting to the USHL. He has the best skating from this slovak class.

You ranking could be fine half year ago. But not now. Did you see Petrovsky, Repcik, Zlnka or Kmec in their actual games?
Seems you have over-rated them a bit...

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
You ranking could be fine half year ago. But not now. Did you see Petrovsky, Repcik, Zlnka or Kmec in their actual games?

I didn't see all their matches. But yes, this is a normal process. Some European imports need time to adapt to the NA ice rink. This is not unusual and I think we could have expected it, because neither of them is top prospect. It will be better to evaluate it at Christmas time, the boys should be adapted by that, but if we count HGC and the beginning of the season, it is something like this.

Reactions: mirec04

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Petrovsky and Zlnka maybe hasn't had impressive preparation games but we will see how they will perform once they adjust themselves to North American style.
But I heard only words of praise on Kmec and Repcik.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
So far it’s looked like Elias has really had a difficult time adapting to the USHL game. He was pulled in his first start last night, and did not have a good pre season either. Hopefully he can adjust soon.

That is somehow a tradition by Slovak goalies.

Here some first seasons:
Adam Húska - 5 games 85,82 %
Samuel Hlavaj - 22 games 86,15 %
Šimon Latkóczy - 20 games 87,63%
Matej Tomek - 30 games 90,66 %

Roman Durny and David Hrenak were good. From above mentioned, Huska did well in next season, was the best goalie i think.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Damn, reading through that list, one would have assumed at least one of those guys pans out... Could add Rybar to the list as well, Slovaks just not getting any luck when it comes to their goalies.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Kmec has been great in his games and so has Repcik. Kmec has 3 assists in 3 games and has been great defensively. I’m not sure about Petrovsky. Zlnka has struggled but he’s also playing on the 4th line, hard to do anything with more limited ice time

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I find Slafkovsky over-rated. Top 15 yes but not top 5 and not better than Nemec.

The performance of the players playing in CHL will have a lot of influence on the number of Slovaks selected.
I’m not sure, watching first 2 Nitra games, Nemec didn’t stand out as much as I had hoped. He’s still got considerable room for growth. I find his lack of physical play to be costly sometimes. To me Slafkovsky has much greater upside, he’s impressed in Liiga games with his 2 way play as well. TPS is first in the league despite not scoring much

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
It's hard to contradict you, I don't watch the Slovakia championship.

Without impressing you, Nemec is still at + 4.

I saw them play together with the Slovakia team, I really have the impression that it is Nemec the boss. Above all, he needs to improve his defensive game so if he scores very few points, it doesn't matter. We know he can do it.

Slafkovsky lacks explosiveness with a really average shot and a lack of creativity. He's a power forward.

The kind of players to accompany a maker and a shooter on a line 1 or 2.

I have a feeling that many are going to be disappointed if they see him as a star.

Nemec has always been ahead. He played in U18 before Slafkovsky, played in each of the international categories before Slafkovsky, played pro before Slafkovsky ... No coincidence.

I think Nemec is better than Clarke. I hardly see Slafkovsky in front of Wright, Savoy, Kemell, Miroshnichenko, Iurov, Jiricek. There will probably be at least one American ahead of him, one more CHL player ... I can hardly imagine Slafkovsky top 10. Nemec does.

Last edited:

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
It's hard to contradict you, I don't watch the Slovakia championship.

Without impressing you, Nemec is still at + 4.

I saw them play together with the Slovakia team, I really have the impression that it is Nemec the boss. Above all, he needs to improve his defensive game so if he scores very few points, it doesn't matter. We know he can do it.

Slafkovsky lacks explosiveness with a really average shot and a lack of creativity. He's a power forward.

The kind of players to accompany a maker and a shooter on a line 1 or 2.

I have a feeling that many are going to be disappointed if they see him as a star.

Nemec has always been ahead. He played in U18 before Slafkovsky, played in each of the international categories before Slafkovsky, played pro before Slafkovsky ... No coincidence.

I think Nemec is better than Clarke. I hardly see Slafkovsky in front of Wright, Savoy, Kemell, Miroshnichenko, Iurov, Jiricek. There will probably be at least one American ahead of him, one more CHL player ... I can hardly imagine Slafkovsky top 10. Nemec does.

I understand what you mean and more people have the same view. There's nothing wrong with that, that's exactly the beauty of watching prospects. After all, they are children and only the future will show who is right. But lack of creativity? From what I follow, which has been around for several seasons, creativity is his strongest weapon right after physical parameters. This is probably the only thing I disagree with you on this post. He calls himself powerforward but creative powerforward, when it was a question of how he characterizes himself as a type of player and I agree with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad