Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Obviously it was an exceptional tournament for us, despite the disappointment in the gold medal match. Those 2 late goals in the first period broke the team down.

In terms of the players and how I thought they did, I will go through a few. Dvorsky: Our best forward, even though he had no points in the final he created several chances. He’s back next year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he broke the point record than. Mesar: I thought he was very consistent and our second best forward. Slafkovsky: To me he was a bit disappointing despite the stats, he seemed disengaged shift to shift and was not moving his feet as much as I would have liked. Molnar: Exceptional tournament, nothing more to say other than this guy is gonna be very good. Ciernik: Pleasant surprise, good skater and luck handling. Needs to improve strength. Petrovsky, Zlnka, Sykora: Slower start but they turned it on last 2 games, good 2 way play. 4th line: Started off very bad but improved as tournament went along, I wish Gabriel would have been there however.

Defense. Nemec: Great, one of the top defenders of the tournament. Not much more to say. Kmec: Pleasantly surprised, he will fit perfectly in WHL and I wouldn’t be surprised if he challenged for WJC spot. His toughness is exactly what the doctor ordered for WJC team. Mosko: Was really good but struggled a lot against Russia. If he can improve his decision making I think he will be solid. Strbak: Excellent tournament from the underager. I believe he is at the level of Knazko at the same age, maybe even little better. Zabka: Liked his play too, but like with Mosko needs to improve decision making.

And for goaltending I don’t think there is much to say other than Elias was great up until last game. Even than most of the goals were either terrible defensive coverage or terrible turnovers by Slovak skaters.

The WJC camp is gonna be very fun to watch.
Bravo to this talented and exciting team. I am very glad to see this resurgence for Slovak hockey. It seems it has been a long time since the country has been able to produce this much talent. I'm curious, for those who know more about the state of hockey in Slovakia, is this the result of a change in the development model? Can we expect this to continue?

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
After the HGC and U17 tournament, this is how I would rank the 2004 and 2005 born players.
2004:
1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Simon Nemec
3. Filip Mesar
4. Rastislav Elias
5. Servac Petrovsky
6. Alex Ciernik
7. Peter Repcik
8. Adam Zlnka
9. Jozef Viliam Kmec
10. Patrik Gabriel

2005:
1. Dalibor Dvorsky
2. Ondrej Molnar
3. Maxim Strbak
4. Jakub Chromiak
5. Samuel Sisik
6. Daniel Jencko
7. Frantisek Ridzon
8. Alex Cajkovic
9. Samuel Urban
10. Peter Cisar

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Antii, this looks like a very accurate ranking in this time. I would rank 2004 players in the same order absolutely!
At least first 8 then there are more possible players. Sykora, Zold or Natny are also a reasonable choices but Kmec, Gabriel could be there too.

Anyway, 2005 age group seems accurate the same, only I would add a defender Leo Eperjesi. I know he didn´t play at U17 tourney as good as his total points (6) suggested but still, don´t sleep on him. Expect a solid 2021-22 season from him.

Mato94

Apr 11, 2020
Bratislava, Slovakia
After the HGC and U17 tournament, this is how I would rank the 2004 and 2005 born players.
2004:
1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Simon Nemec
3. Filip Mesar
4. Rastislav Elias
5. Servac Petrovsky
6. Alex Ciernik
7. Peter Repcik
8. Adam Zlnka
9. Jozef Viliam Kmec
10. Patrik Gabriel

2005:
1. Dalibor Dvorsky
2. Ondrej Molnar
3. Maxim Strbak
4. Jakub Chromiak
5. Samuel Sisik
6. Daniel Jencko
7. Frantisek Ridzon
8. Alex Cajkovic
9. Samuel Urban
10. Peter Cisar

I gotta agree with Martinez, it's a pair of really good lists, Antiilla, mine would look very similar.

However, if I can raise a few points:

As much as I like Repcik's playing style, I feel like Adam Zlnka should be ahead of him (and Ciernik too). Ciernik's upside might be higher, but I don't think he is better than Zlnka right now imo.

I really like Kmec as well, but I don't think he's better than Sykora e.g.. Kmec and Repcik are potential next season risers, they both have a really good chance to benefit from playing in the WHL and maybe they can even earn a WJC spot each? I'd be glad if they made it.

Regarding the 2005s; I feel like Jakub Chromiak is too high. Again, if we rank them potential-wise, Chromiak's place is reasonable, but I don't think he's ahead of like next three guys behind him right now.

Also, what do you like about Cisar? I'm genuinely asking, I haven't seen much of him. I'd probably go with someone like above-mentioned Eperjesi or Adam Cedzo, but Cisar might be better. Thanks!

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I gotta agree with Martinez, it's a pair of really good lists, Antiilla, mine would look very similar.

However, if I can raise a few points:

As much as I like Repcik's playing style, I feel like Adam Zlnka should be ahead of him (and Ciernik too). Ciernik's upside might be higher, but I don't think he is better than Zlnka right now imo.

I really like Kmec as well, but I don't think he's better than Sykora e.g.. Kmec and Repcik are potential next season risers, they both have a really good chance to benefit from playing in the WHL and maybe they can even earn a WJC spot each? I'd be glad if they made it.

Regarding the 2005s; I feel like Jakub Chromiak is too high. Again, if we rank them potential-wise, Chromiak's place is reasonable, but I don't think he's ahead of like next three guys behind him right now.

Also, what do you like about Cisar? I'm genuinely asking, I haven't seen much of him. I'd probably go with someone like above-mentioned Eperjesi or Adam Cedzo, but Cisar might be better. Thanks!
Great points and yeah after the top few guys on each list, it is really just a matter of opinion.
- For Repcik, I value his 2 way ability and face offs. He’s a player that you can have out there whether your down 1 or up 1 in last minute of play and he engages physically as well. Plus, centres imo have more value than wingers.
- As for Kmec, I just think his play is little bit old school but he has the modern skating and break out ability. Reminds me of Radko Gudas a bit but better skater and puck carrier, I think his size and toughness + skating make him an intriguing player with upside.
- Jakub Chromiak to me is only held back by physical perimeters right now. I guess this list is a little blend of potential plus current skill now. Eperjesi I liked at U17 but I think he still has lots to improve in his own zone and breaking the puck out.
- Cisar is purely “recency bias,” I thought he was good at the U17’s despite not scoring as much as other players. He could easily be replaced on this list with other 05s.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
2004:
1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Simon Nemec
3. Filip Mesar
4. Rastislav Elias
5. Servac Petrovsky
6. Alex Ciernik
7. Peter Repcik
8. Adam Zlnka
9. Jozef Viliam Kmec
10. Patrik Gabriel

2005:
1. Dalibor Dvorsky
2. Ondrej Molnar
3. Maxim Strbak
4. Jakub Chromiak
5. Samuel Sisik
6. Daniel Jencko
7. Frantisek Ridzon
8. Alex Cajkovic
9. Samuel Urban
10. Peter Cisar

If you mixed the two lists in terms of talent and potential what would it look like?

Reactions: Antiillafire

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
If you mixed the two lists in terms of talent and potential what would it look like?
Hmm, interesting question. It’s always hard to make these lists with keeping both current state and potential in mind as prospect development is anything but linear. I’ll take a shot.

1. Dvorsky
2. Slafkovsky
3. Nemec
4. Mesar
5. Molnar
6. Elias
7. Strbak
8. Petrovsky
9. Ciernik
10. Repcik

So many questions with these young prospects however. Will some guys add physical part to their game or add better 2 way play? For example 6-8 months ago I would have had Nemec no.2 but I’ve seen significant improvement in Slafkovsky’s 2 way game and therefore have him higher. Still, I’m sure this list and the other Slovak users lists will change in another few months.

The player who I am looking out for the most is Alex Ciernik, if he can add some more strength, he could rise on this list. I still view Repcik as one of the safer “bets” because even if his offensive game is more limited, his 2 way play and ability to elevate his line makes him a very valuable player.

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
This would be my list for our 04s in terms of future potential. Dvorsky would be n. 1 if 05s included.

1. Nemec
2. Slafkovsky
3. Mesar
4. Elias
5. Petrovsky
6. Ciernik
7. Zlnka
8. Repcik
9. Kmec
10. Suchy/Misiak

Deciding between Zlnka and Repcik is a coin flip for me... One has better tools and the other one can be the smarter player

Last edited:

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Hmm, interesting question. It’s always hard to make these lists with keeping both current state and potential in mind as prospect development is anything but linear. I’ll take a shot.

1. Dvorsky
2. Slafkovsky
3. Nemec
4. Mesar
5. Molnar
6. Elias
7. Strbak
8. Petrovsky
9. Ciernik
10. Repcik

So many questions with these young prospects however. Will some guys add physical part to their game or add better 2 way play? For example 6-8 months ago I would have had Nemec no.2 but I’ve seen significant improvement in Slafkovsky’s 2 way game and therefore have him higher. Still, I’m sure this list and the other Slovak users lists will change in another few months.

The player who I am looking out for the most is Alex Ciernik, if he can add some more strength, he could rise on this list. I still view Repcik as one of the safer “bets” because even if his offensive game is more limited, his 2 way play and ability to elevate his line makes him a very valuable player.

Very interesting! Mine would be very similar, I would just reverse the positions of Slafkovsky and Nemec, Elias and Strbak.

In terms of potential my list would look like this:

1. Dvorsky
2. Slafkosvky
3. Nemec
4. Molnar
5. Mesar
6. Chromiak
7. Strbak
8. Ciernik
9. Elias
10. Ridzon

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Interesting that some of you rank Slafkovsky over Nemec. I see a potential number 1 dman in Nemec. He could be a star even in the NHL. I see Slafkovsky a step or two below Nemec. He could become an effective power forward, but a star player? I am not so sure about. I would like to hear from you guys, why have you ranked Slafkovsky higher than Nemec?

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Interesting that some of you rank Slafkovsky over Nemec. I see a potential number 1 dman in Nemec. He could be a star even in the NHL. I see Slafkovsky a step or two below Nemec. He could become an effective power forward, but a star player? I am not so sure about. I would like to hear from you guys, why have you ranked Slafkovsky higher than Nemec?

Many people who watch them both for a long time think that Slafkovsky's upside is much higher. Nemec is a better and more complex player today, but when it comes to potential, Slaf potential is greater and he also made huge progress in recent months. He can be a decent powerforward to the 3rd line but also he can be a Rantanen type player, or if we want to compare him to Slovak player, then something similar to Hossa. But who knows, I'm looking forward to this season. I personally wait at least a month or two for my top 10 until all the leagues start.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
It’s definitely a good debate. But looking over the past few tournaments and games that I’ve seen from both is that Slafkovsky when he is fully engaged in the play can be the most impactful Slovak player of both 2004 and 2005 generation. Now the question is will he be fully engaged on every shift. The reason I have Slaf higher is that I believe he can impact the game in more ways than Nemec can. Now, there is still much for them to improve on. However, with Nemec I saw sometimes a few struggles in his own zone. While that is something every young defender has to deal with, does Nemec’s offensive dynamics over come this? I still want Nemec to engage more with the physical play as well, he doesn’t need to be a wrecking ball but he can certainly become stronger.

Nemec is probably the safer bet of the 2 but I think Slafkovsky has the greater upside like @hellwar9 mentioned. There is a reason Corey Pronman from the Athletic said that some nhl scouts listed Slafkovsky as potentially the second or third player drafted in 2022, while Nemec is in the early teens.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Ok, then we have clear names for 2022 and 2023. But who are the dark horses of this ride? Not many people know them...
Outside of the top 10? It’s hard to know because of covid’s impact. Still, I think there is a few. Zöld, Zabka and Bartakovics for 2004 age group. Let’s see how they will look this season.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Matej Kaslik will attend rookie camp with Colorado Avalanche. I am sure @Elvs is happy, he is always been a supporter of Kaslik :)

Rookie camp invitations very rarely amounts to anything, but I'm happy he's getting to experience and that the Avalanche has acknowledged him. Making it to NHL is obviously going be an uphill battle for Kaslik, but he's a very smart and responsible 2-way center. If my memory serves me right, I believe Kaslik played the most minutes (even more than any defenseman) for Slovakia at the World Juniors last winter. That's a quite unique accomplishment and shows how coaches are trusting him in all situations.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
Andrej Tomasec (2006) in Finland during the weekend played the first 2 matches in the U18 league. I expected him to start at U16. I wonder how he will do during the season, it would be great if he stayed in the U18 for as long as possible and started to get points.

In addition, the U18 league also started in Slovakia during the weekend, and Peter Kovac, Michal Liscinsky, Tobias Pitka, Andrej Fabian Licko, Tomas Pobezal and Dario Lass (all 2006's) performed really well. I think some of them will also play for the U18 project (U20 slovak junior league and lower tier men's slovak league). Michal Svrcek (2007) also was performed well enough. He may be an interesting name.

Reactions: Antiillafire

puckfan

Nov 26, 2020
2004:
1. Juraj Slafkovsky
2. Simon Nemec
3. Filip Mesar
4. Rastislav Elias
5. Servac Petrovsky
6. Alex Ciernik
7. Peter Repcik
8. Adam Zlnka
9. Jozef Viliam Kmec
10. Patrik Gabriel

2005: