Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
Win for both sides, lots of risk for SJ though. Goalies are unpredictable and Askarov has no NHL experience, if he chokes this turns ugly for SJ really quick.

You are right about Askarov being a question mark, but is there really a big risk for this to turn ugly for the Sharks? I don't know if Edstrom or Chrona are ever going to be guys they will pine for in the years to come. If Vegas implodes next season and the Sharks have to give up a top 10 pick for a goalie that didn't work out would be hand wringing, but I still don't think it would be disastrous.

And if it means Vegas imploded, I'll take it.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
SJ is stacked with that move. Look at their Center depth coming up with two elite prospects leading the way. Adding top prospects on the wing and some okay D pool. I still think Mukhamadullin gonna be big. With Askarov - wow!

Good times if you cheer for the Sharks. Will be interesting how long it takes to get competitive. But the peak will be pleasant and longlasting ...

Amazing job, how they finally re-tooled as quickly. Grier's the man ...

Happy for them!
It's easier to be patient knowing Grier is constantly looking to improve the club.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I'm starting to like what the Preds are doing. They've been making moves in free agency to try and get immediate results.

And now are turning a crisis into an opportunity by shipping a bitchy question mark for young, long-term assets.

Reactions: King 88

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Credit to Nashville as well; they are a contending team with 5 picks in the first two rounds and a pretty solid prospect pool. They even have cap space! You bet that they will be the biggest buyers at the deadline.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think there is a real possibility VGK is not a playoff team next year given how the West has been improving this offseason. In which case this seems like an overpayment from SJS. If VGK pick is around 24-30 this is likely a win win for both.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Impressive, Nashville sold high out of a position of strength (#1 locked up for years, #2 has term) and got 1st, a young forward prospect (Edstrom), a current #3 who perhaps they could groom into something at the NHL level (Chrona)? Sharks get possibly their future goalie to be the backbone of their youth movement, which is now reinforced by vets (Toffoli, Wennberg, Ferraro, Ceci, Walman, Granlund, Goodrow, Rutta). If he starts hot, the future might be now with Yaro in net.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Askarov might be good but

voodoo.jpg

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Oh wow. He's made a huge mistake. But Askarov, and ye shall receive.

I don't see any way that San Jose right now is a productive environment to foster a talented but raw and totally inexperienced goaltender like that. But best of luck to him i guess. He's made his bed and now he gets to lie in it.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
You forgot the biggest piece in the trade - Quentin Musty.
Yeah, Musty was considered a top 10 draft likelihood before he got sick with a several month case of mono his draft year and it caused a drop in rankings. He's also one of the younger players in his draft class.

His play since his healthy status indicates a lot of teams scouts missed the circumstances and that he was a steal who may end up looking like a top pick in this draft class after Bedard/Carlsson/Fantilli/Smith/Michkov.

happy to benefit from their oversight

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

I don't see any way that San Jose right now is a productive environment to foster a talented but raw and totally inexperienced goaltender like that. But best of luck to him i guess. He's made his bed and now he gets to lie in it.
In 2 years time the sharks core will be emerging

Askarov said he would be fine playing AHL for the sharks. Just not for the preds after they essentially just told him he has no path to being an NHL starter

Look Up

Let me tell you about my Celica again
Oct 3, 2013
Don't fool yourself, this is the same agent that had Afanasyev. The only reason they cared about a clear path of development was because of the money. Afanasyev bailed to Russia because San Jose told him the same thing we did, and he wanted a guaranteed one way contract.

If he had stayed in Nashville he was probably looking at a two way contract after his ELC was done. That's why him being in the NHL was so important to him. Now that he is getting paid either way he is more than happy to sit back in the AHL.
Why are you hating on Askarov? Your posts come across as if he did you wrong or something.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Haven't bought the askarov hype since his draft year, and nothing he's done since has made me change off that opinion.

Preds got solid value considering goalies are always traded for peanuts. Their real mistake was taking a goalie 11th overall and passing on Seth Jarvis.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
The only ways this can be considered bad for the Sharks is if you don’t like Askarov or you think Vegas will be have a high pick next year. I’d take the Knights over Kings as a playoff team in the Pacific.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Haven't bought the askarov hype since his draft year, and nothing he's done since has made me change off that opinion.

Preds got solid value considering goalies are always traded for peanuts. Their really mistake was taking a goalie 11th overall and passing on Seth Jarvis.
Or Lundell 🤦‍♂️

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

Askarov just got moved to a franchise that has remarkably jump-started its rebuild this offseason by acquiring a future top C, future top D, and now future top G. The team is committed to him being their starter for the long term and will be focused on his development, rather than Nashville treating him as a backup, which will do wonders for his career. And frankly, San Jose’s future outlook looks a lot more promising than Nashville’s. This is a great situation for him.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Askarov just got moved to a franchise that has remarkably jump-started its rebuild this offseason by acquiring a future top C, future top D, and now future top G. The team is committed to him being their starter for the long term and will be focused on his development, rather than Nashville treating him as a backup, which will do wonders for his career. And frankly, San Jose’s future outlook looks a lot more promising than Nashville’s. This is a great situation for him.
Vokoun
Rinne
Saros

The last 3 goalies developed by Nashville.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Solid deal for both sides, in my opinion.

I like this trade for us since Edström's a guy I was pretty high on at the draft. A big-framed center with some decent hands to go along and physicality. Those traits never go out of style.

Also, I feel like the Vegas pick could end up being at least a top-15 pick. West is crazy-tight, and Vegas is a team clearly on the downswing. It could all fall apart as soon as next season in which case the pick could be a high one.

Sharks get their goalie of the future. I hope they don't rush Askarov as I don't believe he's ready yet. He's too immature still and needs to calm down and trust his talents to carry him. Right now, he's doing too much extra and often times that just ends up hurting him. Potential is still sky-high but it will take a few years still.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Solid deal for both sides, in my opinion.

I like this trade for us since Edström's a guy I was pretty high on at the draft. A big-framed center with some decent hands to go along and physicality. Those traits never go out of style.

Also, I feel like the Vegas pick could end up being at least a top-15 pick. West is crazy-tight, and Vegas is a team clearly on the downswing. It could all fall apart as soon as next season in which case the pick could be a high one.

Sharks get their goalie of the future. I hope they don't rush Askarov as I don't believe he's ready yet. He's too immature still and needs to calm down and trust his talents to carry him. Right now, he's doing too much extra and often times that just ends up hurting him. Potential is still sky-high but it will take a few years still.
I have to challenge the notion that the widely-believed top goalie prospect in the world is a few years away from playing a starting role. That puts him at 25-26 before he starts making an impact. Sure, wait another year for the San Jose d group to improve a bit. But the Sharks aren’t trading a 1st and a solid prospect for a goalie that isn’t going to be ready until halfway through his professional career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad