Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
His desire for a trade was to not
I don’t think that is correct. He said he wouldn’t report to NSH’s AHL team, but that was precipitated by no path to the NHL for the next 2 seasons - not the prospect of another year in the AHL.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Askarov and Blackwood are going to get DESTROYED this year, look at that roster, gosh.

Builds up character!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nah they are still 32nd, this move doesn't change that, not this year anyway .

Could be massive in the future
IMO Askarov is an upgrade over all the goaltenders they used last season. They didn't even have 1 guy hit .900.

I think there is a reasonable "surprise" upside case for SJ with Celebrini and Askarov.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don’t think that is correct. He said he wouldn’t report to NSH’s AHL team, but that was precipitated by no path to the NHL for the next 2 seasons - not the prospect of another year in the AHL.

Yeah, his path was blocked in Nashville as Saros is already a workhorse and Wedgewood is signed for another 2 seasons.

Not sure there was any team out there that was gonna just hand Askarov the backup spot for next season and I think most if not all teams are already set at the position. Not sure there was a better situation out there where he could get playing time this season behind an oft-injury Blackwood and washed-up Vanecek, nor in the future as neither guy is signed past this season.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Askarov and Blackwood are going to get DESTROYED this year, look at that roster, gosh.

Builds up character!
Compared to last year, its a massive step up. Last year was the depth of the darkness.

Could use a better 6th D than Benning though, maybe bring up a youngster.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Love this for Nashville. GM Barry is killing it.

As for Sharks it definitely makes a lot of sense. Goalies are hard to predict but if he pans out to his potential this wi he huge for
The sharks and their young core.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Love some crazy August moves.

I don't think we'll see SJ finish 32 again this season.
I think we almost certainly see them dead last again and that's best case scenario for them, this is a nice move for the long term but I don't think a 22 year old goalie is suddenly propelling them out of the basement

Reactions: coooldude

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not as big a return i was expecting for Askarov but good enough. They had to trade him before training camp.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Yeah, his path was blocked in Nashville as Saros is already a workhorse and Wedgewood is signed for another 2 seasons.

Not sure there was any team out there that was gonna just hand Askarov the backup spot for next season and I think most if not all teams are already set at the position. Not sure there was a better situation out there where he could get playing time this season behind an oft-injury Blackwood and washed-up Vanecek, nor in the future as neither guy is signed past this season.
I expect he will be the #1 for the Cuda and be with the big club for 10+ games due to injury.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think we almost certainly see them dead last again and that's best case scenario for them, this is a nice move for the long term but I don't think a 22 year old goalie is suddenly propelling them out of the basement
It seems at least that it should be a low pressure environment. His stats this year pretty much don't matter

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think Celebrini will be a very-high level player to start.

I don't think they'll be good. Not at all. But I'll be betting other teams to finish 32nd.

I still see them top 3 pre lottery
Probably. I just don't think they should be considered the "favourite" to finish last.

Reactions: MackAttack71

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
It seems at least that it should be a low pressure environment. His stats this year pretty much don't matter
100% I have nothing negative to say about the acquisition or really anything they've done this summer but they're still going to be horrendous for at least one more season, I think they'll be fighting for dead last with Calgary

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I still think Askarov might do a year with the Barracuda but both Blackwood and Vanecek are UFAs at the end of the season and aren't the most durable of goalies recently so the pathway to the NHL is very clear.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Celebrini will be a very-high level player to start.

I don't think they'll be good. Not at all. But I'll be betting other teams to finish 32nd.
Yeah I agree on Celebrini, but so was Bedard and, well... I could see Calgary because they've pretty much blown it up, but I think all the other teams that finished bottom 5 are still a step ahead of them. SJ still has the worst D core in the league and I don't think it's particularly close

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Good move for both teams. Still don’t understand why NSH blocked Askarov’s path to the NHL though. That seemed shortsighted. But they got 2 1sts for him. Edstrom is underrated IMO. But with Celebrini and Smith in SJ, this is probably a good move for him too.

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah that's him.

I would't be jumping the gun just yet. SJ has had a lot of trouble developing goalies at the A level.

Agreed. Don't count chickens before they hatch. But if I'm a Flames fan trying to figure out if SJS has what it takes to dismantle our group for the years to come...

Nabokov as a mentor alone would be pretty big for Askarov's mental development. Add in someone like Speer whom I believed would have been a good target for the Flames to try and poach... I'd be leaning towards SJS has the edge. Nabokov/Speer/Askarov vs Sigalet/LaBarbera/Wolf... I'd give the edge to SJS in about 2 years.

I'm a little bit a goalie development nerd. Not a true one, but I've been hoping the Flames upgrade their goalie development since like 2015, so I've been reading a bit more than then average person for a while now.

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
I'd imagine Bystedt was available for Askarov. With the 1st as well is another question.
San Jose make a great trade. They have great center depth so losing Edstrom is no big deal. I agree that I think Bystedt is the better of he and Edstrom. Losing a 1st and a depth center prospect for a potential franchise goalie is a big win for Grier. If San Jose gets one more good, young dman, they will be a force in a couple of years.

Reactions: vortexy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad