Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Hartnell says hi and while Legwand didn’t pan out as we had hoped, I don’t think he was mediocre.

Erik Karlsson also says hi, oh wait, we traded down to get Pickard.

Reactions: Viqsi

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
That... is.... sad...
3 first round Goalies
5 GP 1 win and 2 loses
Askarov played 3 games for the Predators
Finley played 2
Pickard never played
All 3 have dressed as the backup though
For comparison the next highest Goalie drafted by the team was Magnus Hellberg and he played in 1 game for the team

Jan Lasak was also drafted in the second round and he played 6 games for the team
Then there is Andres Lindback with 38 games, Marek Mazanec with 31 game
And that’s it all the Goalies drafted by the franchise and that played for the team or maybe I am missing one that has a statue or another

• Wow
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Let's not forget "Playoff Willie".
I'd throw him in the mediocre bunch.

Hartnell says hi and while Legwand didn’t pan out as we had hoped, I don’t think he was mediocre.

Erik Karlsson also says hi, oh wait, we traded down to get Pickard.
Legwand is the definition of mediocre. Frankly had he played for anyone but a new franchise they would have probably called him a bust being 2nd overall. He would have been fed to the wolves in a major market.

Hartnell was good, but yet another guy who spent his prime years not here.

Maybe the better assessment is we just can't keep the good ones.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I'd throw him in the mediocre bunch.

Legwand is the definition of mediocre. Frankly had he played for anyone but a new franchise they would have probably called him a bust being 2nd overall. He would have been fed to the wolves in a major market.

Hartnell was good, but yet another guy who spent his prime years not here.

Maybe the better assessment is we just can't keep the good ones.
Legwand wasn't mediocre by any definition I know. .6 or so ppg and high level defense at center fits in on any team. He just wasn't the all around 1C everyone hoped.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Legwand wasn't mediocre by any definition I know. .6 or so ppg and high level defense at center fits in on any team. He just wasn't the all around 1C everyone hoped.
Mostly he gets a bad rap because of where he was drafted and because Vinny was such a success, but if you look at the guys drafted after him it’s clear he was the right pick. The others in the top ten were Brad Stuart (I’ll give you there’s some alternate universe where the Preds could have used him in a Joe Thornton deal), Bryan Allen, Vitaly Vishnevski, Rico Fata, Manny Malhotra, Mark Bell, Mike Rupp, and Nik Antopov. Several of those guys had pretty successful careers, but I wouldn’t take any of them over Legwand.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
So right on par with RyJo, and I don't think anyone swooned over his career here in Nashville.

I consider mediocre a guy that plays in the league for years, you don't mind having them on the team, but they aren't exactly doing anything special.

Legwand is the definition of the typical Preds forward, and I'd argue based on our history that ain't anything to write home about.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Now as far as Legwand goes:

Did he live up to number 2 overall slot? Maybe not but he was definitely a very good hockey player. Maybe he could have been better offensively if not thrown into a Trotz defense first system. He still had some very good seasons here and I feel he’s one of the all time franchise faces. I remember being at a leafs game, October 11 1999 and I saw him get his first ever goal against the leafs. I was even wearing a Legwand jersey because at the time being such a highly touted pick he was the only guy worth getting a jersey for then. Mind you Sullivan was my next jersey. I actually own every single preds jersey ever worn in an nhl game (home and away) some with names and some without. Got a Stamkos one already too! Anyways I am getting off topic.

If we get another player like Legwand and has a similar career as Legwand with the first we got in the askarov trade, I would highly consider that a win for us. Even if Askarov goes on to have a very successful career. I would say Legwand was a success as well. A lot of second overalls flop so at least he wasn’t that. He’s still one of our top all time players as well. I would love him back in the organization in some role but doesn’t seem to be his thing.

I have also read a lot about Edstrom and I am more and more jazzed about him the more I read. I would not rank him as high as say Kemmel and Wood but I would rank him right in that second tier with guys like Svechkov, Molendyk, L’Heureux, Lind and Matier. I think he could be a solid number 2 centre (think Ryan Oreilly). Time will tell!

I was not overly happy with how this all played out. The Saros extension essentially did us out of a very promising (our best prospect) young goalie and I also think that contrast is going to look really bad about halfway through… I guess we will deal with that then with buyouts and whatever happens. Maybe I’m wrong. Who knows. But for the way it was mishandled I would say’s trotz still recouped fairly well with a potentially high first (whether it’s sharks or Vegas pick, neither is a GREAT team) and Edstrom. I don’t expect much from Chrona but maybe he surprises me who knows. I do feel we should draft a goalie again maybe next draft. It’ll be exciting to see what we do with 3 firsts!!

This should be a very epic and memorable next couple of seasons. Strap on your belts and let’s enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nullednumbed

Jun 27, 2022
Now as far as Legwand goes:

Did he live up to number 2 overall slot? Maybe not but he was definitely a very good hockey player. Maybe he could have been better offensively if not thrown into a Trotz defense first system. He still had some very good seasons here and I feel he’s one of the all time franchise faces. I remember being at a leafs game, October 11 1999 and I saw him get his first ever goal against the leafs. I was even wearing a Legwand jersey because at the time being such a highly touted pick he was the only guy worth getting a jersey for then. Mind you Sullivan was my next jersey. I actually own every single preds jersey ever worn in an nhl game (home and away) some with names and some without. Got a Stamkos one already too! Anyways I am getting off topic.

If we get another player like Legwand and has a similar career as Legwand with the first we got in the askarov trade, I would highly consider that a win for us. Even if Askarov goes on to have a very successful career. I would say Legwand was a success as well. A lot of second overalls flop so at least he wasn’t that. He’s still one of our top all time players as well. I would love him back in the organization in some role but doesn’t seem to be his thing.

I have also read a lot about Edstrom and I am more and more jazzed about him the more I read. I would not rank him as high as say Kemmel and Wood but I would rank him right in that second tier with guys like Svechkov, Molendyk, L’Heureux, Lind and Matier. I think he could be a solid number 2 centre (think Ryan Oreilly). Time will tell!

I was not overly happy with how this all played out. The Saros extension essentially did us out of a very promising (our best prospect) young goalie and I also think that contrast is going to look really bad about halfway through… I guess we will deal with that then with buyouts and whatever happens. Maybe I’m wrong. Who knows. But for the way it was mishandled I would say’s trotz still recouped fairly well with a potentially high first (whether it’s sharks or Vegas pick, neither is a GREAT team) and Edstrom. I don’t expect much from Chrona but maybe he surprises me who knows. I do feel we should draft a goalie again maybe next draft. It’ll be exciting to see what we do with 3 firsts!!

This should be a very epic and memorable next couple of seasons. Strap on your belts and let’s enjoy :)
Legwand in no way lived up to being the #2 overall pick. He was a decent 40-50 point forward with a couple of outlier seasons. Trotz 'defence first' didn't hold back Ovechkin. If you can score you can score. Kariya, Arnott, Sully, Dumont did pretty well under Trotz's system. And that's just off the top of my head.

Reactions: Armourboy

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Legwand in no way lived up to being the #2 overall pick. He was a decent 40-50 point forward with a couple of outlier seasons. Trotz 'defence first' didn't hold back Ovechkin. If you can score you can score. Kariya, Arnott, Sully, Dumont did pretty well under Trotz's system. And that's just off the top of my head.
He was below what you want at 2oa, agreed, but he did have 2nd highest point total of top 10 picks that year after guy who went 1oa. Crappy draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigFatCat999

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
There is more to hockey than points. Legwand played a great all round game.
When Trotz went to the caps ovie was already a monster. Legwand was brought along under his wing.

How many 70 point seasons did arnott, dumont, and sully have for us? 2 total between all three….

Legwand could have been much better but he’s by far from a disappointment. Want to look up all the last 25 2nd overalls?

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
When Legs picked Hatcher's pocket and scored that short-handed goal on Legacy in the first home playoff game ever in 2004, it still arguable the loudest crowd reaction in Pred history. That's the Legwand I want to remember.
I agree, the place was rocking after that! My friends and I were at that game - our seats were in the highest row in the arena. On the plus side, we could stand to cheer the entire game without blocking anyone's view. We told the beer vendor that if he kept coming to us, we'd buy whatever he had in his inventory when he got to us. He made a lot of money that day.

Reactions: sparkle twin

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
So right on par with RyJo, and I don't think anyone swooned over his career here in Nashville.

I consider mediocre a guy that plays in the league for years, you don't mind having them on the team, but they aren't exactly doing anything special.

Legwand is the definition of the typical Preds forward, and I'd argue based on our history that ain't anything to write home about.
Well, Johansen had a couple of seasons here where he was around Legwand's higher-production seasons. I don't think he was as good as Legwand defensively, especially as Joey's skating declined. Also gotta remember Joey's most productive seasons in Nashville came in higher scoring years leaguewide than any of Leggy's career.

I recall Legwand elevated his game in the playoffs too (Johansen did this as well). Legwand also wasn't really ever overpaid which I guess helps his case

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
3 sure signs training camp is finally near:

1. Car registers over 111 degrees after sitting briefly in the grocery store parking lot.
2. Titans fans are encouraged by preseason play of a young quarterback that will soon let them down.
3. Random discussions on the merits of David Legwand break out in a completely unrelated thread.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

1. Car registers over 111 degrees after sitting briefly in the grocery store parking lot.
2. Titans fans are encouraged by preseason play of a young quarterback that will soon let them down.
3. Random discussions on the merits of David Legwand break out in a completely unrelated thread.
Have I informed you about our savior, Martin Erat?

Reactions: braindead

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

So f***ing true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad