Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I hoping we pick 2nd (Vegas) 11th (Tampa) and 32nd (ours) next year for the most fun offseason in team history
We won’t get second overall because I believe for this trade we get either 2025 first from the sharks OR Vegas, whichever is worst. I don’t know if it’s top 10 protected or anything (if both sharks and Vegas finish with top ten picks) but I do believe we get the lower of the two.
Can someone confirm this?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
We won’t get second overall because I believe for this trade we get either 2025 first from the sharks OR Vegas, whichever is worst. I don’t know if it’s top 10 protected or anything (if both sharks and Vegas finish with top ten picks) but I do believe we get the lower of the two.
This is correct but I believe he was stating the best possible scenario we could get. It’s assumed that the Sharks would get the 1st overall

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
We got the Vegas pick .... top 10 protected when they traded it to SJ. Now we need Tampa and Vegas to suck so we get a couple top 13 picks in the 2025 draft.
No it could be the sharks pick. Say the sharks would pick 14 and Vegas picks 12 then we get the sharks pick in 2025

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
He was doing a fantasy scenario where the Sharks pick 1st, Vegas picks second, Tampa picks 11th and we win the cup and pick 32nd

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No it is not top 10 protected, its simply the worst of the two picks. In his scenario San Jose ends up with the 1st overall and Vegas ends up 2nd overall.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
He was doing a fantasy scenario where the Sharks pick 1st, Vegas picks second, Tampa picks 11th and we win the cup and pick 32nd

No it is not top 10 protected, its simply the worst of the two picks. In his scenario San Jose ends up with the 1st overall and Vegas ends up 2nd overall.
The Vegas one is top ten protected when it was traded to sharks. In your scenario armourboy we would get first overall because sharks wouldn’t get that Vegas pick

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Id be fine with a couple low 10s 1st plus ours. I hope both Vegas and Tampa do just good enough to get out of the top 10 at the draft and not a bit better

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
No it could be the sharks pick. Say the sharks would pick 14 and Vegas picks 12 then we get the sharks pick in 20

Read the damned details.

"... the Predators are receiving goaltender Magnus Chrona, forward David Edstrom, and the conditional 1st round pick of the Golden Knights in the 2025 NHL Draft:"

The condition on the Vegas pick is it is top ten protected.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I should say I'm also pleased that Trotz took care of this pretty quickly. No headaches or black clouds hanging over training camp. If a guy wants out, don't let the door hit you on the way, it's good to push any malcontents off the bus as soon as possible.
:handclap:

I think it probably helped a fair bit that the Preds simply weren't that enamored with Askarov even before this stunt. He seems like a zany guy, he kept us fans entertained following his antics, but I can see how past a certain age that kind of behavior might wear thin on an organization if the player isn't working as hard on his issues as management would like. :dunno:
He just turned 22. What were you doing at 21-22? Especially if you made over $200k in a foreign country.

Reactions: SouthNash

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
And the Sharks board is saying Askarov has told them he is fine if they start him in the AHL this season... what a piece of shit.
He's ok with it because he's no longer playing behind a #1 goalie with an 8-year deal. Giving Saros the long-term deal was the start of all this. Why would Askarov want to burn a few more years in Nashville. At best, he kills it and becomes the backup. There's almost no scenario where he's the #1.

He didn't decide to give Saros the 8-year deal; Trotz did. Would anyone on this board in Askarov's shoes not rather play for another franchise with a reasonable path to being #1?

Yes, he made it public, and it worked. Had he not made it public, Trotz could have decided to keep insisting he needed more development, and he'd burn more years in Milwaukee.

Trotz got what he wanted (Saros for eight years), and Askarov got what he wanted (a potentially quicker path to the NHL). On top of that, we got a decent return for him, so it is what it is.

Demonizing Askarov for doing what's in his best interest isn't fair. Trotz did what he thought was in the team's best interest, not Askarov's.

The good news is that this does not affect this year since Askarov was never in the short-term equation. We'll know in a few years who was right on this deal.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Askarov was after one thing, the money. He wanted a 1 way contract next season making bigger money, and he knew here he wasn't going to get it. The only reason he is suddenly happy go lucky about going back to the AHL for San Jose is because their GM handed him 4 million dollars. If he hadn't of been given that contract I'll bet you anything the word coming out would be how Askarov is not ok going to the AHL.

People want to talk about " the path ", but the only reason that mattered was the money, plain and simple.
The path and the money are one and the same. Players want to maximize their career earnings like anyone else. Askarov was unlikely to be able to to that in Nashville because of the circumstances discussed ad nauseum already. I don't begrudge him for looking out for himself. There's plenty of possible scenarios but at least as of now it seems to have worked out quite well for him.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Read the damned details.

"... the Predators are receiving goaltender Magnus Chrona, forward David Edstrom, and the conditional 1st round pick of the Golden Knights in the 2025 NHL Draft:"

The condition on the Vegas pick is it is top ten protected.
That’s literally what I DAMN well said. Thanks for the bold caps though. SMFH

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
So what happens if the Vegas pick is top 10?

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Yeah I guess whether you call it a lust for money or just being competitive af and wanting to be the #1 makes no difference in the end. He was going to have his chances in NHL, but all he was gonna be in the next two years was a backup at best. In SJS he have the chance to steal the starter job starting from the camp.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm late to this party (moved this week) but I think the return is pretty solid given the circumstances. I really wanted Askarov to be the guy, and he might do so in San Jose. But he just isn't ready yet and not in a position to be making demands about being in the NHL. He could have come in and killed it in camp and forced Wedgewood out, he could have dominated the AHL and forced more callups, he could have outplayed Saros in a year or two and forced a trade (either one) at that point... but he just isn't that guy as of August 2024.

So he got his wish, a lot of out of town fans are buying the hype right now, Preds got a handful of good parts in return. I think we'll be happy in the long run and I think a lot of other people are going to be nervous for a while before (if) Askarov eventually proves to be the guy that he thinks he is.
Given Trotz's assessment of him, this is great trade. We got back essentially 2 1sts for a goalie prospect, which almost never happens. Fans often want more, want 1 great asset instead of a package like this, but presumably if there was some stud prospect available in return we would have gotten him. It seems rather unlikely that we turned down guy like Will Smith from Sharks.

We took this package because once we decided we weren't willing to commit to him, a package like this was most likely outcome, and as far as these go this package is a dang good one. The only way this trade is a loss is if Trotz is wrong about Askarov and he turns into next Vasi, but even then the loss would really be that Trotz chose Saros over him. And given everything we have seen from Trotz over his career, before and after he became GM, choosing Saros was always going to be the choice here. Which is to say, I like this trade..

Reactions: predhead1

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Given Trotz's assessment of him, this is great trade. We got back essentially 2 1sts for a goalie prospect, which almost never happens. Fans often want more, want 1 great asset instead of a package like this, but presumably if there was some stud prospect available in return we would have gotten him. It seems rather unlikely that we turned down guy like Will Smith from Sharks.

We took this package because once we decided we weren't willing to commit to him, a package like this was most likely outcome, and as far as these go this package is a dang good one. The only way this trade is a loss is if Trotz is wrong about Askarov and he turns into next Vasi, but even then the loss would really be that Trotz chose Saros over him. And given everything we have seen from Trotz over his career, before and after he became GM, choosing Saros was always going to be the choice here. Which is to say, I like this trade..
Well he's re-building the team identity. Saros fits that picture a lot better than Askarov.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The Vegas one is top ten protected when it was traded to sharks. In your scenario armourboy we would get first overall because sharks wouldn’t get that Vegas pick
I see. So there is in theory a world in which two of our three picks we are counting on for next summer get bumped to summer of 26.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The path and the money are one and the same. Players want to maximize their career earnings like anyone else. Askarov was unlikely to be able to to that in Nashville because of the circumstances discussed ad nauseum already. I don't begrudge him for looking out for himself. There's plenty of possible scenarios but at least as of now it seems to have worked out quite well for him.
Trotz sure as heck wasnt about to extend him to 2M AAV for 2 years after spending another season in the AHL.

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
So what happens if the Vegas pick is top 10?
I was under the understanding that we would get the sharks 2025 first then. The details aren’t very clear here I am not actually 100% sure.

I know we won’t get the Vegas pick though if it’s top ten. But I don’t think it would get bumped to 2026 I think we get sharks first in 2025 then but I am baffled here to be honest lol

I see. So there is in theory a world in which two of our three picks we are counting on for next summer get bumped to summer of 26.
I don’t think so. I don’t see any details on this but there was talk we would get the sharks first then in 2025

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
All I read was it being Vegas 1st with the condition that they could swap it with their own 1st in '25 so we get the lower one. How could they even give Vegas 1st if there's a condition where they may not get it?

Or is the condition dependent on that condition to be met?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
That’s literally what I DAMN well said. Thanks for the bold caps though. SMFH
No it it isn't what you said. The pick traded was the Vegas pick ... as detailed. You claimed it was either the SJ or Vegas pick which isn't what was traded. Shake your head at yourself and the lack of integrity in your posts.

The Preds' tweet states Vegas pick. NHL, MSN, Yahoo, TSN all state Vegas pick. Puckpedia has it as the Vegas pick. That pick is top 10 protected as is the Tampa pick we have this first round from the Jeannot trade.

• Haha
Reactions: PREDy 4 the Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad