Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I can't say I'm really wishing Askarov well after how this turned out, though. Dude pulled a very uncool stunt here, so, sorry Sharks fans, I'm kind of hoping he shot himself in the foot and tanks his career. He was in a really sweet spot to get some excellent development from our gurus, so I hope things go pretty far south for him after dissing our organization like that. :p:
That...and we get one of the Sharks or Knights 1st. So now, we're all rooting for the Sharks, Vegas, and Tampa to all suck this year.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think immediately signing the contract and also being willing to go to the AHL now shows it was a lot about securing a good second contract. If he spends the season in the AHL for us this season he’d almost certainly be looking at a two-way deal. Now he’s getting paid either way which makes it easier to be taking a longer path to the NHL.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
💯

I think he is in a great environment to reach his full potential.
I don't think him being included was an accident. My guess is there is something about his game that Trotz, and Korn like and think they can mold.

I think immediately signing the contract and also being willing to go to the AHL now shows it was a lot about securing a good second contract. If he spends the season in the AHL for us this season he’d almost certainly be looking at a two-way deal. Now he’s getting paid either way which makes it easier to be taking a longer path to the NHL.
I had little doubt it was about the money. Problem for him becomes is that he has 3 years to do something with it or he is going to be looking at maybe 10 million max for a career as opposed to 60+ million.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
One other aspect of this trade people are overlooking, there is a universe where that Vegas pick is really good.

That team is stacked to be sure but as talented as they may be, they are just as brittle. A few key guys out for an extended amount of time at the same time, and that top 10 may become a thing.

I know Sharks fans were hoping for it and now are dreading it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
One other aspect of this trade people are overlooking, there is a universe where that Vegas pick is really good.

That team is stacked to be sure but as talented as they may be, they are just as brittle. A few key guys out for an extended amount of time at the same time, and that top 10 may become a thing.

I know Sharks fans were hoping for it and now are dreading it.
You mean we could be getting a high pick AND Vegas falling flat on their overstuffed trust fund baby faces? Damn, don't sell it all to us at once. :D

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
You mean we could be getting a high pick AND Vegas falling flat on their overstuffed trust fund baby faces? Damn, don't sell it all to us at once. :D

Yea that's how we were feeling 😁

Let me ask those that like the deal as it is:

If Burke was replaced with Fabbro or Tomasino instead how would you feel about the deal then?

Those were two guys on my "please trade for" for awhile now.

All in all, I think it's a fair deal with the potential to be in the Nieuwendyk for Iginla realm of overall outcome.

Reactions: Adz

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Yes, adding a top 4 defenseman to our best prospect would require a better prospect than edstrom coming back

I would agree. I thought Bystedt is a better fit for Nashville's needs/timeline and the better prospect. I would have given him up if it meant Fabbro or Tomasino instead.

Not sure how likely Fabbro would be included though as it would create a hole.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Worse. Burke is likely a career AHLer.
At best. He was barely hanging on as an ECHLer, so only represents a contract slot dump.

I know Edstrom signed his ELC already with SJ, but is it already decided that he's going back to Frolunda? I'm guessing so.

He sounds a little like what we wish the Preds would let Parssinen become if they played him at center? I wonder how long Svechkov is for our system after the way Askarov and Afanaseyev turned out. Can't see Trotz being keen to give Millstein the time of day going forward. :dunno:

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
At best. He was barely hanging on as an ECHLer, so only represents a contract slot dump.

I know Edstrom signed his ELC already with SJ, but is it already decided that he's going back to Frolunda? I'm guessing so.

He sounds a little like what we wish the Preds would let Parssinen become if they played him at center? I wonder how long Svechkov is for our system after the way Askarov and Afanaseyev turned out. Can't see Trotz being keen to give Millstein the time of day going forward. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I should say I'm also pleased that Trotz took care of this pretty quickly. No headaches or black clouds hanging over training camp. If a guy wants out, don't let the door hit you on the way, it's good to push any malcontents off the bus as soon as possible.
:handclap:

I think it probably helped a fair bit that the Preds simply weren't that enamored with Askarov even before this stunt. He seems like a zany guy, he kept us fans entertained following his antics, but I can see how past a certain age that kind of behavior might wear thin on an organization if the player isn't working as hard on his issues as management would like. :dunno:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Everyone seems locked into "path to starter being blocked" as the reason why he wanted out.

I was reading a few past articles about Asky and some mentioned his mediocre play and benching last season, and it got me thinking. Maybe....just maybe...it's just that he has a huge ego and he's really fragile? Maybe his poor playoff performance and benching almost broke him and then Saros getting the payday ultimately was what did him in?

I'm not saying that's what this is, but I'm thinking it's just as possible as he just wants a "clear path".

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Everyone seems locked into "path to starter being blocked" as the reason why he wanted out.

I was reading a few past articles about Asky and some mentioned his mediocre play and benching last season, and it got me thinking. Maybe....just maybe...it's just that he has a huge ego and he's really fragile? Maybe his poor playoff performance and benching almost broke him and then Saros getting the payday ultimately was what did him in?

I'm not saying that's what this is, but I'm thinking it's just as possible as he just wants a "clear path".
He seems cocky moreso than "fragile" to me. Cocky to the point of laziness. And zaniness. I mean, it's fun to dress up as Borat, throw bodychecks or get in goalie fights, do the flying pokechecks (which usually worked pretty well), do the bench presses with the net, all that stuff. We mostly loved all that about him. But end of the day, after 2 years he still wasn't ready to play for our team. He wasn't better than Devin Cooley or Troy Grosenick when the chips were down. He was on a very very good AHL team, which probably helped mask some of his deficiencies. But it seems like maybe he was overconfident or lackadaisical about some of his preparation? I don't think that's the same as "fragile". But still a mental issue which could hold him back from maximizing his potential.
:dunno:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Both perspectives are justifiable by motivated reasoning, so, who knows.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
And the Sharks board is saying Askarov has told them he is fine if they start him in the AHL this season... what a piece of shit.
I would argue Askarov played his hand and played it well. He was never going to be a starter in Nashville and he wanted to go somewhere he could be.

It's his career. He has to do what is best for his development and career.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'll just add: i don't know a ton of insiders inside the org, but I can tell you I had one tell me that if Saros was extended long term, Askarov was not going to be comfortable staying in Nashville. And to expect a trade request.

It's only logical on his end. I'm sure the organization saw it coming if that is what I was hearing back in June.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad