Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'd never heard of Chrona but looking into him I'm actually pretty intrigued. Looks like he was a great college goalie but had a really rough go if it last season. San Jose was a mess at both the NHL and AHL level though so I'm interested to see how he can do working with Korn and Vanderklok.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'd never heard of Chrona but looking into him I'm actually pretty intrigued. Looks like he was a great college goalie but had a really rough go if it last season. San Jose was a mess at both the NHL and AHL level though so I'm interested to see how he can do working with the best goalie coaching staff in the world.
He is a tall fella. 6'6". Wonder if we can turn him into something.

We got some wierd synergy going on with the Sharks right now....

Borrowed Ozzy at the end of last season for the AHL
Traded Afanaseyev for Ozzy
Now this

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
All things considered.... we traded a former 1st rounder, a 3rd, and an undrafted prospect for a former 1st rounder in a position of need, a 2025 1st round pick, and a tall uninteresting goalie prospect. Not bad at all. I like Edström and now we have 3 1st round picks next draft that we can use or create a package for a different player.
Considering the circumstances, this is nice return. I said this morning that I wouldn't want 1 for 1 for Edstrom, but Edstrom and 1st for Askarov and change is strong return. I can't speak for the goalie prospect that we got, but Edstrom projects as prototypical 3c with chance to be 2c. Good size, physical, has a bit of skill. I had him in top 20 of '23 draft. He played on 1st line at U18s (with Stenberg, Blues' 1st rounder in 23) in draft year and then this year had quite strong year for 18yo in SHL. He comfortably fits into our top 7 prospects and we get another 1st next year. For a goalie who wanted out? That feels like real win.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If you look carefully (or you saw me comment on it in the mains), you may be able to see in this shot of the EP draft guide from Edstrom's draft year why I was instantly optimistic about this return:

1724446808680.png

Reactions: Enoch

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Considering the situation its probably about as good as you can hope for. Now lets just hope both San Jose and Vegas both figure out how to completely tank this season.

Didn't like the pick when it was made, said drafting a Russian goalie in the first round would come back to bite us in the butt. Sometimes I hate being right.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
But he wasnt demanding a top 5 pick for Askarov.... he was pairing Askarov with a 1st to get into the top 5.
And we see GMs "demand" all kinds of things to see if anyone will meet demands...but nothing happens. That demand doesn't change what his value is. That's dumb logic. I can demand my employer pay me $1m but that doesn't make me worth $1m unless they agree.

Also calling Askarov a franchise goalie at this point is disingenuous. He could be. He could also get pissed at his situation over the next 12 months, refuse to extend, and go to Russia. The world is full of possibilities. I hate when people paint things a specific way to prove their point. If you like Askarov that's fine. He's got high potential, but to dismiss the other possibilities is dumb.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
And we see GMs "demand" all kinds of things to see if anyone will meet demands...but nothing happens. That demand doesn't change what his value is. That's dumb logic. I can demand my employer pay me $1m but that doesn't make me worth $1m unless they agree.

Also calling Askarov a franchise goalie at this point is disingenuous. He could be. He could also get pissed at his situation over the next 12 months, refuse to extend, and go to Russia. The world is full of possibilities. I hate when people paint things a specific way to prove their point. If you like Askarov that's fine. He's got high potential, but to dismiss the other possibilities is dumb.
With him going to San Jose, Im hoping they have a real good goalie coach that can work on his glove hand. In our system, i was certain he could become a starter. Im not sure how he will do in their system behind that team's defense.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Like I posted on a youtube channel I watch, I told the San Jose fans they better have him a good goalie coach cause he needs some work and if they want him to be a franchise goalie he really needs to be in the AHL this season playing every single day.

The worst thing San Jose can do is stick Askarov on the bench and only get him 20-30 games this season.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Like I posted on a youtube channel I watch, I told the San Jose fans they better have him a good goalie coach cause he needs some work and if they want him to be a franchise goalie he really needs to be in the AHL this season playing every single day.

The worst thing San Jose can do is stick Askarov on the bench and only get him 20-30 games this season.
I think he is ready for some NHL games as well (atleast in Nashville with a competent defense). 15-20 NHL and 30 or so AHL. Keep him game ready and getting experience. San Jose's defense is questionable... worst thing you can do is throw him in the deep end when he still needs some technical work

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Well, I think that's about as good as we could hope for under the circumstances.

We've now picked up two players who were drafted in Nashville in addition to all of the ones we got with our own picks. BT must dig that draft class

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Askarov signed an extension with SJ for 2x2 starting after this year. If he really does make it as a starter the Sharks have a bargain and he sold himself incredibly short

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And the Sharks board is saying Askarov has told them he is fine if they start him in the AHL this season... what a piece of shit.
Which outside of him publicly refusing to report, is probably why Trotz traded him. One thing about Trotz, he doesn't want guys that think a job is just owed them rather than competiting for it.

We may not get much out of it in the long run, but I'm not worried about Askarov tbh.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I agree it's about as good as we could have gotten. I liked Bystedt a little more, or at least maybe felt he was a little closer, but Edstrom was one of the guys we talked about as an alternative candidate. Along with getting Chrona and the 1st back and hardly giving up anything else (a 3rd and a contract dump in Burke), this is a lot better on the "quantity" front than I was expecting. It may lack a little pizzazz on the "quality" front, but I'm really not surprised no team was stepping up and offering matching quality.

I can't say I'm really wishing Askarov well after how this turned out, though. Dude pulled a very uncool stunt here, so, sorry Sharks fans, I'm kind of hoping he shot himself in the foot and tanks his career. He was in a really sweet spot to get some excellent development from our gurus, so I hope things go pretty far south for him after dissing our organization like that. :p:

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
Decent return. Now we have three firsts next year, which could set us up after the current window expires. Poile gets flak for that pick, but he he always picked the bpa, thinking he could move those picks if needed. Hope it doesn’t bite us in the ass eventually.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I agree it's about as good as we could have gotten. I liked Bystedt a little more, or at least maybe felt he was a little closer, but Edstrom was one of the guys we talked about as an alternative candidate. Along with getting Chrona and the 1st back and hardly giving up anything else (a 3rd and a contract dump in Burke), this is a lot better on the "quantity" front than I was expecting. It may lack a little pizzazz on the "quality" front, but I'm really not surprised no team was stepping up and offering matching quality.

I can't say I'm really wishing Askarov well after how this turned out, though. Dude pulled a very uncool stunt here, so, sorry Sharks fans, I'm kind of hoping he shot himself in the foot and tanks his career. He was in a really sweet spot to get some excellent development from our gurus, so I hope things go pretty far south for him after dissing our organization like that. :p:
Well and based on what SJ fans are saying their goalie development team is a bit suspect atm. It could turn out to be a decent group of coaches but it might not.

One thing is for sure he turned down learning from coaches that have Vokoun, Rinne, and Saros on their resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad