Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
Not what I said at all.
Oh yeah? Im pretty sure you put up some multi hundreds words essays in this very thread about how the habs had unsunstainable shooting % with some unsustainable goalie performances and some unsustainable amount of OT points and how Laine and Dach's addition will do nothing but take away PP time from Caufield and Suzuki so therefore these 2 won't increase their production.

So Im asking you : Will the habs get more points this year than last year? According to all what you said, they shouldn't. Right?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Betting on unproven rookies to beat out guys in their primes and 37 year olds to IMPROVE is certainly bold.

Goaltenders aren't predictable, but Lyon was very good last year and you're betting on a 38 year old talbot. I expect similar goaltending results, although could be worse, could be better

Interesting how Seider gets every excuse made in the world for the tough minutes he faced, but Walman playing those exact same minutes does not.
A top prospect being better than a bottom pairing D? That’s never happened before in the history of the NHL, you’re right.

Again, Kane missed the entire training camp recovering from what was expected to be a career ending injury.

Lyon was good for all of about 15 games. And quite awful outside of that.

I question if you watched a single Wings game last season.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
You don't "learn to deal with the injury bug" until you actually get through it lol it is the kind of thing that has to be proven not spoken about. Got no problem with optimisim but you guys are coming out of the fun part of a rebuild where everything is sunshine and rainbows and the future is boundless. Going from the whole being awful with a purpose to pushing into a playoff spot is the hardest hurdle to break in a rebuild as shown by a few teams in our own division. Not that I am saying you guys will or won't fall into that pattern, but to act like there won't be any downs on your way up is crazy lol
You don't "learn to deal with the injury bug" until you actually get through it lol it is the kind of thing that has to be proven not spoken about. Got no problem with optimisim but you guys are coming out of the fun part of a rebuild where everything is sunshine and rainbows and the future is boundless. Going from the whole being awful with a purpose to pushing into a playoff spot is the hardest hurdle to break in a rebuild as shown by a few teams in our own division. Not that I am saying you guys will or won't fall into that pattern, but to act like there won't be any downs on your way up is crazy lol
The team reworked the whole medical staff in the last 3 years in response to the number of man games lost to injury. A bit better last year with more work to do yet. Of course not everything is sunshine and rainbows but why have an Armageddon view point at the begining of rookie camp when it is not warranted? What are they doing different in the rebuild that other teams in the division have not done?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Oh yeah? Im pretty sure you put up some multi hundreds words essays in this very thread about how the habs had unsunstainable shooting % with some unsustainable goalie performances and some unsustainable amount of OT points and how Laine and Dach's addition will do nothing but take away PP time from Caufield and Suzuki so therefore these 2 won't increase their production.

So Im asking you : Will the habs get more points this year than last year? According to all what you said, they shouldn't. Right?
Not what I said at all.

Suzuki had an unsustainably high shooting %, especially the last half of the season. I expect it to go down. I expect caufields shooting % to go up, and overall as a team, should be approximately the same. Adding a sniper in Laine should increase the overall shooting results by a touch.

I think banking on leading the league in loser points isn't sustainable, so I think they will "lose" a number of points there.

I also think they will have a better PP, and be somewhat better 5v5, (although I think Dach is a downgrade from Monahan in both of those areas).

I think the goaltending will be worse, simply because of goaltender volatility. It is a general expectation of mine, unless you're sporting either A) a truly elite goalie like Shesty, or a truly horrific goalie like a Campbell, that goaltending will be around average. If you're playing the "goalie lotto" with guys like Monty and Primeau, some years you'll get good goaltending, some years mediocre, some years bad.

If MTL gets good/great goaltending, it will add a few wins
If they get average goaltending, I have them where I expect them.
If they get bad goaltending, they're probably picking top 4

Overall, mid 70s in points is a pretty reasonable benchmark. They could drop as low as the 60s, or climb into the 80s.

For example, a season like 34-40-8 for 76 points with a goal differential around -40.

One of the youngest teams in the league with youngest blueline. An increase in points each of the last 2 years with last being involved in 41 1 goal and 15 2 goal games. I see a team teetering on a tipping point leaning toward the positive . Exactly how more points should this team have had if you had been at its head? You are arguing this team has under preformed am I correct?
No I'm saying that you are wrong to claim that MSL has not attempted to implement a defensive system.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Not what I said at all.

Suzuki had an unsustainably high shooting %, especially the last half of the season. I expect it to go down. I expect caufields shooting % to go up, and overall as a team, should be approximately the same. Adding a sniper in Laine should increase the overall shooting results by a touch.

I think banking on leading the league in loser points isn't sustainable, so I think they will "lose" a number of points there.

I also think they will have a better PP, and be somewhat better 5v5, (although I think Dach is a downgrade from Monahan in both of those areas).

I think the goaltending will be worse, simply because of goaltender volatility. It is a general expectation of mine, unless you're sporting either A) a truly elite goalie like Shesty, or a truly horrific goalie like a Campbell, that goaltending will be around average. If you're playing the "goalie lotto" with guys like Monty and Primeau, some years you'll get good goaltending, some years mediocre, some years bad.

If MTL gets good/great goaltending, it will add a few wins
If they get average goaltending, I have them where I expect them.
If they get bad goaltending, they're probably picking top 4

Overall, mid 70s in points is a pretty reasonable benchmark. They could drop as low as the 60s, or climb into the 80s.

For example, a season like 34-40-8 for 76 points with a goal differential around -40.

No I'm saying that you are wrong to claim that MSL has not attempted to implement a defensive system.
Listening to Marinaro tonight on what the team is doing as far development goes

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
They are part of the bad group Montreal can at least remember their last playoff run, the other 3 can't, 2 of the other 3 are getting dangerously close to a decade without playoffs, the other one is working on their 2nd decade.

Yes there is in fact a bad group.
Dangerous talk as a Leafs fan. In terms of playoff success the last decade Toronto belongs in the "bad" group.

Interesting how Seider gets every excuse made in the world for the tough minutes he faced, but Walman playing those exact same minutes does not.
Walman had 2 assists the last 40GP and was healthy scratched down the stretch.

Reactions: CDN24

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dangerous talk as a Leafs fan. In terms of playoff success the last decade Toronto belongs in the "bad" group.

Walman had 2 assists the last 40GP and was healthy scratched down the stretch.

My team has yet to break through that's true.

But No they do not belong in the bad group.

My team is a consistent top 10 team in the league.

I could not watch a single game, or single highlight all year, I could tune in in April and I could all but guarantee I'd see my team in the playoffs because the Leafs are a very good team that hasn't broken through yet.

Detroit, Buffalo and Montreal? I could all but guarantee those teams won't be in the playoffs, because those teams are awful and 2 of them did nothing to get better in the off season, Montreal did pick up Laine so they might be better we will see but either way they are staying in the bad group for at least another year regardless of if Laine scores 10 goals or 50 goals.

At least Ottawa made moves to try and get out of the bad group we will see if it works.

Last edited:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The defensive systems are yet be taught.Worst thing for a Habs fan to hear of a player was " He's a 200ft player" Translated as he can check but has been brow beaten to the point where he dares not go on the attack. Things are progressing nicely here.
Hrmmm, let the players focus on offence and teach defence later. This sounds strikingly familiar to the sentiment around the Sabres during the 2022-2023 season. 2023-2024 didn't go so well. It's not as easy to teach defence as saying "okay guys, play D now but also keep scoring at the same rate." Ask me how I know.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Hrmmm, let the players focus on offence and teach defence later. This sounds strikingly familiar to the sentiment around the Sabres during the 2022-2023 season. 2023-2024 didn't go so well. It's not as easy to teach defence as saying "okay guys, play D now but also keep scoring at the same rate." Ask me how I know.
Are the Habs doing it the same way as the Sabres did? Seems they are putting a lot of resources into the development end of things.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
No, they can just add a defensive system that they apparently haven't begun to implement in the last 3 years and it will not sacrifice offense in any way.

Just like Nick Suzuki can simply "shoot more" to combat a regression from a 23% shooting% in the second half of a last year and maintain the same scoring rate

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My team has yet to break through that's true.

But No they do not belong in the bad group.

My team is a consistent top 10 team in the league.

I could not watch a single game, or single highlight all year, I could tune in in April and I could all but guarantee I'd see my team in the playoffs because the Leafs are a very good team that hasn't broken through yet.

Detroit, Buffalo and Montreal? I could all but guarantee those teams won't be in the playoffs, because those teams are awful and 2 of them did nothing to get better in the off season, Montreal did pick up Laine so they might be better we will see but either way they are staying in the bad group for at least another year regardless of if Laine scores goals or 50 goals.

At least Ottawa made moves to try and get out of the bad group we will see if it works.
Orly??????
20240424_004552.jpg

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
With less than a month left to the beginning of the season, I think the the rosters we see should remain the same

1. Bruins. 110 points. With a good offseason and continued regular season excellence, I expect the Bruins to take 1st place of the Atlantic.

2. Panthers. 108 points. While the strongest team of the division on paper, a slow start is expected from the cats with two back-to-back cup runs paired with a potential cup hangover. I can see them be around 4th in the division until the half-season point and then ramp up and finish just shy of 1st

3. Tampa. 104 points. Guentzel should help the Bolts at 5v5 and their top players will be healthier this season I'd think, especially Vasilevskiy.

4. Toronto. 101 points. The Leafs are a strong regular season team. I expect more of the same from them. I give Tampa the edge, but I can totally see them swapped TBH

Tied 5-6. Detroit and Ottawa. 93 points. The Sens finally addressed their biggest need and were on an upward trajectory in their last 40 games or so. Big point jump but I can see it happen. For Detroit, I expect the team to keep improving gently. Their PP and general offence were red hot and I expect yhem to fall a bit, but at the same time I think their defence will see a significant improvement as both would stabilize to around top 15ish. The Devils and Isles are going to be hard competition for the playoffs for both teams

7. Buffalo, 91 points. Weird, volatile, chaotic team. At times quite soft too. I don't really know what to expect from them. They did bolster their bottom 6 and have quite the array of talent. Maybe I underestimate them

8. Montreal. 85 points. I think the Habs will really take a step this season with a much better second line and what could be a nice little 3rd line with Roy on it. The defence remains highly questionable and will prevent the Habs from truly getting close to the playoffs despite strong goaltending

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The closer the season gets, the more I question if there is a team as good as the Leafs in the Atlantic.
How many years have you tried to convince yourself of this ???? You'd think your team was preparing for a threepeat with all the accolades you throw at them. At this point I'm pretty sure even most Leaf fans here are tired of this schtick. :thumbd:

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Habs are seriously underrated. no way they finish bottom 5 like some of the pundits are predicting. Not quite there yet but coming along nicely. Going to be a big year, they're gonna turn some heads and shock all the non believers this year, can't wait.

The closer the season gets, the more I question if there is a team as good as the Leafs in the Atlantic.
Leafs are going to shock people this year and I hate to admit that. They still have skill for days but they're gritter and tougher now and berube is going to whip them into shape.

Id LOVE to see another 1st round exit, but I think they make some noise this year

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
How many years have you tried to convince yourself of this ???? You'd think your team was preparing for a threepeat with all the accolades you throw at them. At this point I'm pretty sure even most Leaf fans here are tired of this schtick. :thumbd:

How dare a fan have hope for their team to reach potential

Habs are seriously underrated. no way they finish bottom 5 like some of the pundits are predicting. Not quite there yet but coming along nicely. Going to be a big year, they're gonna turn some heads and shock all the non believers this year, can't wait.

Leafs are going to shock people this year and I hate to admit that. They still have skill for days but they're gritter and tougher now and berube is going to whip them into shape.

Id LOVE to see another 1st round exit, but I think they make some noise this year

I agree. Playtime is over + guys in contract years which usually means big seasons. Won't be surprised to see Marner score 120 points and have a good playoff to get paid.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
With less than a month left to the beginning of the season, I think the the rosters we see should remain the same

1. Bruins. 110 points. With a good offseason and continued regular season excellence, I expect the Bruins to take 1st place of the Atlantic.

2. Panthers. 108 points. While the strongest team of the division on paper, a slow start is expected from the cats with two back-to-back cup runs paired with a potential cup hangover. I can see them be around 4th in the division until the half-season point and then ramp up and finish just shy of 1st

3. Tampa. 104 points. Guentzel should help the Bolts at 5v5 and their top players will be healthier this season I'd think, especially Vasilevskiy.

4. Toronto. 101 points. The Leafs are a strong regular season team. I expect more of the same from them. I give Tampa the edge, but I can totally see them swapped TBH

Tied 5-6. Detroit and Ottawa. 93 points. The Sens finally addressed their biggest need and were on an upward trajectory in their last 40 games or so. Big point jump but I can see it happen. For Detroit, I expect the team to keep improving gently. Their PP and general offence were red hot and I expect yhem to fall a bit, but at the same time I think their defence will see a significant improvement as both would stabilize to around top 15ish. The Devils and Isles are going to be hard competition for the playoffs for both teams

7. Buffalo, 91 points. Weird, volatile, chaotic team. At times quite soft too. I don't really know what to expect from them. They did bolster their bottom 6 and have quite the array of talent. Maybe I underestimate them

8. Montreal. 85 points. I think the Habs will really take a step this season with a much better second line and what could be a nice little 3rd line with Roy on it. The defence remains highly questionable and will prevent the Habs from truly getting close to the playoffs despite strong goaltending
You think every single team in the division is going to be over 85 points? Not so sure about that one.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
How dare a fan have hope for their team to reach potential

I agree. Playtime is over + guys in contract years which usually means big seasons. Won't be surprised to see Marner score 120 points and have a good playoff to get paid.
Marner has never hit 100 points so let's see him try and hit that first okay. This is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as your takes on the Leafs.

They're a 100ish point team who didn't substantially improve in the off-season. And, of course, it will be yet another 1st round exit for your no-show playoff squad.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Marner has never hit 100 points so let's see him try and hit that first okay. This is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as your takes on the Leafs.

They're a 100ish point team who didn't substantially improve in the off-season. And, of course, it will be yet another 1st round exit for your no-show playoff squad.

Marner hit 99 points in less than 82 games he can easily have a career season to get the bag. They are 100% improved.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad