Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Egor Afanasyev for Ozzy Wiesblatt

Feb 5, 2016
Nashville was worried that Egor Afanasyev might not slip though waivers after TC with the competition coming into the Preds camp in September.

Afanasyev is clearly the better player but there also lies the possibility of Egor signing a contract in the KHL as he is an RFA that has to negotiate a new contract with the Sharks.

The Sharks have to get Afanasyev under contract asap.

Afanasyev and Wiesblatt were teammates 3 weeks ago in Milwaukee and now they end up being traded for one another.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Looks like this trade favors the Sharks. Egor may not amount to anything, but Wiesblatt has been a nothing player for the Cuda.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Good for Egor, he's NHL ready and Nashville wasn't giving him a shot.

Meanwhile, the Ed Belfour to Nashville trade tree continues!
zpm6uIp.png

WNFJNff.png

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I have no idea who Afanaseyev is but I already know this is a win for us. Wiesblatt is just a pure bust.

I suspected that Nashville might try and acquire Ozzy after he was loaned to the Ads for the AHL playoffs.
High 2nd rounder, really good numbers in Milwaukee.
I thought Afanasyev made major strides in his game in AHL this year and is only 23

Odd trade from Preds IMO

Good for Sharks
He did, just another waste of 5 years development from Nashville. He'd be a logical Trenin replacement if given a shot.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not convinced Afanaseyev will amount to much offensively in the NHL, but he was ready for a full-time shot. He did what he needed to do by producing well in his final waiver-exempt season in the AHL. In his NHL cameos the past two seasons he was never really put in a position to succeed or produce offensively, but he looked like he had the basic fundamental skills to be a full-time NHLer. The only question is whether that would be as more of a 4th line grinder, or if he could bring any offense eventually.

There really shouldn't have been any question whatsoever about the Preds having him on their roster full-time next season. I guess no GM likes to be given an ultimatum, however. He should have been a shoo-in to be on the Preds with a $775k one-way contract. But the Preds are basically choosing veteran tweeners like Mark Jankowski over him. It's no guarantee that Afanaseyev would be as good as Jankowski. A lot of us Preds fans would have liked to find out, however.

Meanwhile, Weisblatt did seem to play well for the Admirals, especially in the playoffs, so maybe they are hoping for some rebirth from him as a prospect to some extent. I guess worst case, he's still an ELC player who they don't have to give a new contract to, or potentially place on waivers as they might if Afanaseyev didn't make the team (or lose to Russia as the case might instead have been if they weren't willing to give a 1-way contract).

Bad asset management by Trotz overall. I hope Afanaseyev pans out for the Sharks, although it's by no means a guarantee.

Last edited:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Egor wasn't going to sign with Preds and most likely (cough-cough) said he was "going home" to play ..... and not home in Michigan

He was a really good young player for Muskegon in USHL

Re- united with ex Muskegon teammate and Russian Danil Gushen

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Egor wasn't going to sign with Preds and most likely (cough-cough) said he was "going home" to play ..... and not home in Michigan

He was a really good young player for Muskegon in USHL

Re- united with ex Muskegon teammate and Russian Danil Gushen
All he was asking for was a spot on the NHL team. Trotz just didn't like the ultimatum.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
All we ever hear is about guys needing to earn things, except they do and still don't get a shot. Guess even after 25 years Trotz still doesn't much care for young guys.
Totally agree.

How many careers were wasted because of lack of oppurtunity because of the older veteran guys???

Especially D-men

• Haha
Reactions: triggrman

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Totally agree.

How many careers were wasted because of lack of oppurtunity because of the older veteran guys???

Especially D-men

Well at least we know how to develop defensemen, I totally trust our MGMT. in that area.

There's no reason to waive Tolvanen after he fell to us and continued to rise throughout his time here, or to bench Tomasino after a great rookie season.

Feb 5, 2016
The Sharks are definitely icing a better roster then they had last season with the additions of Will Smith, Goodrow, Dellandrea, Afanasyev with more moves coming via draft, trades and free agency.

Sharks are well under the cap floor so expect Grier to be active in the market for a middle 6 winger and a top 4 defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad