Confirmed Trade: [SJS/LAK] Carl Grundstrom for Kyle Burroughs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
They call him Tonka cause he is supposedly strong, but Grundstrom is softer than charmin unfortunately. But he does have a good shot occassionally. 5 games out of the year you will be like damn nice shot bro. And the other games you will be like "this dude serves no purpose and hes not even handsome"

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
SJ:
- Opens a spot on D for a kid or a trade (or re-signing MacDonald?). 6 guys currently if you count Thrun but not Addison.
- Bunch of guys not back on fwd, they get a young bottom 6 RFA to keep (or not).

LAK:
- Clear a roster spot on fwd for cheaper kid options or real vets for a cup run. Grundstrom was also arbritration eligible.
- Get a pressbox D so their younger D can play.
Don't think they'll re-sign MacDonald. If you're counting Thrun, the Sharks still have seven NHL defensemen before accounting for the possibility of making room for Mukhamadullin. If Grier is open to signing Grundstrom, it also could mean they're going to move on from at least one of Kunin or Zadina which would be addition by subtraction as well.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Don't have the Kings have a surplus of bottom pairing defenseman already?
Not anymore. They've been shedding defensemen the last couple of years... Edler, Walker, Durzi, Maatta, Wolanin, Faber, Bjornfot and, now, Roy, probably. Before this trade, they had only Moverare as a 7D option, and he's a LD.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Don't think they'll re-sign MacDonald. If you're counting Thrun, the Sharks still have seven NHL defensemen before accounting for the possibility of making room for Mukhamadullin. If Grier is open to signing Grundstrom, it also could mean they're going to move on from at least one of Kunin or Zadina which would be addition by subtraction as well.

Missed Benning stuck in IR (there's Emberson as RFA on IR too, but will they keep him?). Then it was even more important to get out of Burroughs contract which was going for another 2 years. I guess Mukh will have to wait until Rutta is dealt or an injury occurs.

As for Grundstrom, it's one more option to replace Bailey, Barabanov, Carpenter, Hoffman and Labanc. We'll have to see what he does. It's not like he has to even sign Grundstrom.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Missed Benning stuck in IR (there's Emberson as RFA on IR too, but will they keep him?). Then it was even more important to get out of Burroughs contract which was going for another 2 years. I guess Mukh will have to wait until Rutta is dealt or an injury occurs.

As for Grundstrom, it's one more option to replace Bailey, Barabanov, Carpenter, Hoffman and Labanc. We'll have to see what he does. It's not like he has to even sign Grundstrom.
It is confirmed that Emberson is being qualified. (He seemed solid in the time he got.)

Still probably need to move 2-3 Dmen out and bring in one legit guy.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I think the Kings are just ready to play some of their young players and prospects regularly (hopefully) and they ran out of runway with Grundstrom. He is probably the best player in the trade, is a decent bottom 6 winger, has above-average offensive instincts for his role and plays with a tiny bit of sandpaper, but isn't great defensively but I don't remember him ever being a big liability.

The Kings are pretty logjammed at D unless there are other moves on the horizon. I am not sure Burroughs would see regularly play or would be a press box hero or waiver bait.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
King’s trying to save on cap ?
No. Clearing room for prospects, clearing a bottom line winger spot for someone that can bring grit and toughness, and getting RHD depth.

Kings were never going to bring Grundstrum back, so they got something of need out of it. Kings are low on RHD in the organization and also toughness. Look for them to nit bring Lizotte or Arvidsson back. Most likely will lose Roy and Lewis too. Also, Kaliyev will definitely be moved.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Emberson is getting qualified so I think the plan is to keep him unless something comes along that makes them want to move him. If he stays, I expect him to be a regular in the lineup because he was solid for the games he did play. However, injuries can make a fringe player expendable so you never know.

Replacing those players is similar to replacing RFA's like Kunin and Zadina in my eyes. Kunin was asked to do a lot more than he's really capable of but with a high qualifying offer and a realistic understanding that he's still just a 4th line winger at best, they should move on from him but you never know. Their bottom six could look something like...

Kostin-Smith-Dellandrea
Afanasyev (another RFA acquired)-Sturm-Grundstrom

Would much prefer that than any lineup iteration that includes Kunin and/or Zadina.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Right now, we're looking at something like:

Walman - Rutta
Ferraro - Benning
Thrun - Emberson
Vlasic

Mukhammadullin - Knyzhov
Furlong- Thompson
Cagnoni - Laroque
Pulli - Guryev

Lots of questions about health status, smoke abounds about Ferraro, Cagnoni might go back to juniors - I think we'll wind up with plenty of room in the end.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Waiver for waiver trade. I like Burrough’s grit, and he’s good for AHL depth / call up. I thought Grundstrom showed flashes years ago but I guess he’s just a call up 4th liner now.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Waiver for waiver trade. I like Burrough’s grit, and he’s good for AHL depth / call up. I thought Grundstrom showed flashes years ago but I guess he’s just a call up 4th liner now.
grundy can be a solid bottom sixer, just not in this org cause youngsters arent afforded ice time

Reactions: cheesymc

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
That’s Ryan “Knock it off!” Leaf.
1719589298193.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad