Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] G Yaroslav Askarov signs extension with San Jose (2 years, $2M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think 2027 would still be a bit optimistic, but possible.

We have zero clear top 4 d-men. Three that are 4/5 (Ferraro, Walman, Ceci). Dickinson, Mukamadulin, Thrun, and Pohlkamp aren't too far out, but if we had two #4 guys from that group, it'd be a bummer, but probably realistic. And not sure any are quite top four next season.

In Celebrini and Smith, I think we've got two first line forwards in two years, and Eklund and Tofolli as second line forwards. Zetterlunds a perfect middle six tweener. Musty may get there. Bottom six looking pretty solid.

We'll add another stud in 2025 draft, but our young guys need time, some further purchased depth, and critically a #1 d-man. I've got my eyes on Matthew Schaefer, but even if he's Drew Doughty (99% chance he aint), it's still going to take another year or two.
I agree. I'm excited for the Sharks and love Grier's vision, but '26 is too soon. My guess is the Sharks start making some noise in '28. But to do so, they're gonna need a really good young D already at 22-23 y/o. I can already tell you are not the type to grow impatient if SJ is still not quite there by the end of '27 regular season.

Blackwood or Vanacek are good enough for this season, but your real foundation for now is the bottom-six, imo. Team defense and structure all the way. Grier knows what's up.

Your top-six will shake out and should be the least of your worries right now. Work on the D and develop a 2C.

Reactions: Grinner

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Yeah because Saros is the difference between them beating the Stars/Avs round 1 which who will be their opponent if they get top 3 in the Central over the course of that contract. That team couldn't score enough of Arthur Silovs to win a playoff series but yeah they'll goaltend their way through the West is surely gonna do wonders for Nashville. This was the same shit on the Saros extension thread and people saying that Nashville needed to re-sign Saros as a bridge to Askarov lmao

Which is why they went out and signed two goal scorers to address that need. You do realize Saros is what kept them in that series, yes? He was among their best players.

Trying to trade him and hoping a kid who hasn't played more than five NHL games becomes him would be ridiculous. It's not guaranteed whatsoever but a team like San Jose can easily take that risk whereas Nashville can't.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He was, but his D+1 was pretty meh with UConn.
Which is why he's often considered our 4-5 best prospect.

nice to see a player to hit back when a nhl club decides to take a big stinky dump on him
He needed another full season of playing before he's ready to play backup, hardly the end of the world. I understand him wanting to move, but let's not act like Nashville were acting malicious towards him.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I wish they would have signed him and get him playing in Milwaukee. I think it's a better environment for him to develop. I understand the logic of keeping him in college for free development but I think he's outgrown it despite not being dominant production wise. I suppose that is enough justification to keep him there however.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I wish they would have signed him and get him playing in Milwaukee. I think it's a better environment for him to develop. I understand the logic of keeping him in college for free development but I think he's outgrown it despite not being dominant production wise. I suppose that is enough justification to keep him there however.
He did get traded so we'll see if that helps this year.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

He needed another full season of playing before he's ready to play backup, hardly the end of the world. I understand him wanting to move, but let's not act like Nashville were acting malicious towards him.
Signing saros for 20 years and a backup for 2? Nashville decided to take a big dump on Askarov and Askarov was in his right to reciprocate.

Sparkleton

Nov 9, 2021
Easy to say after they won the lottery. They have to start winning before you can actually call it a rebuild. At this point, they've basically just done the demolition.

Fair about the lottery but master demolition with those long term contracts. Remember when they had Burns/Karlsson/Jones as unmovable, Hertl signed long term, and Meier being in this terrible qualifying position? It looked like they were stuck in purgatory. People legitimately felt bad for the Sharks.

The worst of those moves above was Burns but he freed up room for Karlsson to put up enough numbers to be moved for minimal retention and a pick that was traded up into Sam Dickinson.

I wasn’t sure about Grier when he started but I’m fully on the train. If you just showed me the before and after from the roster he inherited without context I’d be doing a spit-take.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Fair about the lottery but master demolition with those long term contracts. Remember when they had Burns/Karlsson/Jones as unmovable, Hertl signed long term, and Meier being in this terrible qualifying position? It looked like they were stuck in purgatory. People legitimately felt bad for the Sharks.

The worst of those moves above was Burns but he freed up room for Karlsson to put up enough numbers to be moved for minimal retention and a pick that was traded up into Sam Dickinson.

I wasn’t sure about Grier when he started but I’m fully on the train. If you just showed me the before and after from the roster he inherited without context I’d be doing a spit-take.
I remember it all. I have followed the sharks quite closely for the past 10 years. He got what he could for the contracts he inherited from Wilson. I am just not that impressed with the returns on any trades he's made. I'm not trashing him, he's only been in the job for two years. But it's a bit of a leap to me to say 'the Sharks are schooling everyone on how to do a rebuild' when they're the defending worst team in the league and they haven't made the playoffs in five years

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Sparkleton

Nov 9, 2021
I remember it all. I have followed the sharks quite closely for the past 10 years. He got what he could for the contracts he inherited from Wilson. I am just not that impressed with the returns on any trades he's made. I'm not trashing him, he's only been in the job for two years. But it's a bit of a leap to me to say 'the Sharks are schooling everyone on how to do a rebuild' when they're the defending worst team in the league and they haven't made the playoffs in five years

I wrote a 20 minute responses to this and a Dominoes ad from this site on my phone crashed the browser and the entire message.

I don’t have it in me to type it again and sure as hell am not buying their horrible pizza. Maybe in another life we can talk again.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ironically, staying in Nashville would have been better for the development and career of Askarov, assuming both sides were willing to commit to each other.

It makes me wonder if the trade was just as much about Nashville shopping (or listening) on him for the past two years as it was about fast tracking his career. If you look at the current state of the league, tandems are in vogue. Gone are the days where most starters play 65-70 games. If he was willing to sign this kind of extension, a tandem could have worked cap wise in Nashville.

I suspect that it it could have been more of a case where he knew he was going to be traded, and wanted the process expedited.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ironically, staying in Nashville would have been better for the development and career of Askarov, assuming both sides were willing to commit to each other.

It makes me wonder if the trade was just as much about Nashville shopping (or listening) on him for the past two years as it was about fast tracking his career. If you look at the current state of the league, tandems are in vogue. Gone are the days where most starters play 65-70 games. If he was willing to sign this kind of extension, a tandem could have worked cap wise in Nashville.

I suspect that it it could have been more of a case where he knew he was going to be traded, and wanted the process expedited.

So, hypothetically, they are splitting starts. Saros is being paid $8mil a year. Say Askarov hits his potential, wouldn't Askarov look for just as much if he is working the same load? Now you are paying $16 mil a year on goaltending. Doesn't seem efficient use of cap space. If you have an elite goalie like Saros, the smart thing to do is what they are currently doing. Sign a good backup to play about 25% of the starts to relieve Saros and pay him $2mil a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad