Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think they had pretty good GM in the past, and Grier is doing decent so far. Not great, not all the trades he has done has given full value coming their way, but its been hacking and whacking at making the team more set up for the future. Also put together a decent looking d-core that can handle themselves during teams transition and get some assets for them here and there if they play well. Obviously Sharks are thinking long term here.

I do think they been a little unfortunate with some trades their way in terms of the value of taking them or leverage haven't really been there to a very strong degree.
Playing pretend GM by claiming you know exactly what the expected value should have been for any player serves no purpose. Bottom line is Grier turned an old team with numerous longterm expensive contracts with full NMC into a young team with almost no contractual obligations, a ton of cap space and the best prospect pool in the entire NHL in only 2 years, This is the only way to gauge whether or not MG has done a good job.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
LOL. Promising? He's barely played in the NHL as a 24 year old. 30 total games with really meager stats. And unlike Ceci who was durable, this guy suffered a major injury in his only NHL season.

But if you like guys that played meh hockey on a horrible team for a hot minute... Emberson is your guy. He's clearly ready for the NHL playoffs. What about his resume doesn't scream get me 20 minutes a game in the playoffs vs Dallas.

He's also quite a bit smaller than Ceci... perfect to anchor your PK.
You literally looked at stats to dispute the analysis and opinion of someone that actually watched him play. And you didn’t even do a good job at looking at the stats, as Embersons NHL time was better than just “meh”.

That said, yes Emberson is unproven and a risk. But it’s not like the Oilers searched out this situation. It was only the result of the offer sheets situation. And besides it’s possible, even likely Broberg replaced Ceci immediately and Emberson is just 6th/7th D material (depends on Stecher/Brown/prospects look in camp)

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
It really isn't. As of today Ceci is the far better player. And cheaper.

I'm not interested in recency bias.
Ceci was great in his first season with us, was meh in his second year, and was the worst defenceman on the Oilers for all of last year. You either don't watch Oilers games or your sense of recency bias extends multiple seasons.

I bet you think Ryan Suter is a top 4 defenseman too. Don't let any recency bias like his play in the playoffs this year tell you otherwise.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
No kidding.

But we're going down a bunch of tangents that have nothing to do with my point.

Is Broberg a better defenseman than Ceci as of right now? Yes or no.
Yes, and it appears the league and Oiler coaches agree with that yes statement.

He replaced Ceci on the second pair late in the playoffs while playing on his wrong side. It was a noticeable improvement despite playing against the two best teams in the league. A raw rookie making plays Ceci could not. On his wrong side. On the second pairing. With an injured Nurse.

The Blues offered 4+ million and a second round (nearly a first) pick for Broberg.

Ceci fetched a third (nearly a fourth) at 3+ million.

Yes, he is better right now and most likely much better by the end of the year. I don't mind saying that he will be worth his contract by the end of this year. He will most likely outperform it the next.

Last edited:

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
If Broberg isn't matched I have a feeling Edmonton has a deal set up for a RHD on a cheaper contract that will use the Blues 2nd rounder.
I guess even if they announce they aren’t going to match, they still have to wait until tomorrow to get the picks. Otherwise, there’d be no point in holding out on announcing.

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Pretty much. Make them wait until the last moment so they have less time to pivot before camp opens if Edmonton matches. Basically a "f*** you" in response.
I just don’t see how it’s a mind game towards STL. even if Edmonton announced their intention earlier on, I don’t think the picks and players would be officially transferred until tomorrow.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If Broberg isn't matched I have a feeling Edmonton has a deal set up for a RHD on a cheaper contract that will use the Blues 2nd rounder.
That would actually be the better option for Edmonton to either get a cheaper or better right handed d-man then Broberg for a similar contract. Easier said then done though. The fact is neither Broberg or Holloway are really penciled in to be impact players at this point on a team wanting to win the Cup, they would eat a lot of salary for potentially marginal return. It would be interesting if they do not match. Their age and draft pedigree is their biggest value, their current on ice play is not their biggest attraction at the moment but they have obvious potential.

I will be surprised if they don't match at least Broberg though but the Oilers have been able to make some decent moves this summer so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised if they didn't match.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Yes, and it appears the league and Oiler coaches agree with that yes statement.

He replaced Ceci on the second pair late in the playoffs while playing on his wrong side. It was a noticeable improvement despite playing against the two best teams in the league. A raw rookie making plays Ceci could not. On his wrong side. On the second pairing. With an injured Nurse.

The Blues offered 4+ million and a second round (nearly a first) pick for Broberg.

Ceci fetched a third (nearly a fourth) at 3+ million.

Yes, he is better right now and most likely much better by the end of the year. I don't mind saying that he will be worth his contract by the end of this year. He will most likely outperform it the next.
They gave up a 3rd, not got.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
not trolling or anything so don't go crazy but is Broberg even that good? getting 4.5m right?
He’s a legit top 4 defender with potential untapped. Is he worth 4.5M right now? No, not based on his contract status or small sample of play. But it’s a good bet he’ll be worth that if he shows what he showed in the playoffs.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I'm talking about making the SCF not just the playoffs.

The St. Louis Blues made the playoffs for something like 25 straight seasons at one point from the late 70s to the early aughts. They never once made a Finals. Were they contenders?

Try again.

What are you contending for when you make the Stanley Cup playoffs, again? I seem to have forgotten.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

That really sugar coating it. Yes he got second pairing minutes. For the first three games of the finals, which they lost. Then his minutes slid to last while Ceci went up to third most by the end, when they won 3/4 and came within a goal of coming back. Broberg was relegated behind Ceci and the team did better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm talking about making the SCF not just the playoffs.

The St. Louis Blues made the playoffs for something like 25 straight seasons at one point from the late 70s to the early aughts. They never once made a Finals. Were they contenders?

Try again.
Yea the Blues were contenders those years. Or are Gretzky and Hull and all the superstars that signed there complete f***in morons for thinking so?

Last edited:
Reactions: Memento and capazzo

Stelmacki

May 2, 2017
Mind games essentially. Ties up STL assets so that can't do anything else at the moment.
Only if Army is asleep at the wheel. They can still discuss moves with other teams about those assets. It really doesn’t mess with the Blues by holding off.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I know development can happen at intervals outside a straight-line.

The point is the Oilers are now worse defensively than they were at the end of last season. And more expensive.

For this gamble to work out Broberg needs to be as good or better than Ceci at the end of the year. We'll see if he's capable of that. There are no guarantees of anything.
I think the biggest thing is they're 2 completely different types of players. Broberg is a mobile puck retrieval and zone exit machine while Ceci is a stronger net front player who is downright terrible on puck retrievals and zone exits. I think the Oilers need the qualities that Broberg brings a lot more than they need the qualities that Ceci brings. Even if you want to argue that overall Ceci is better, the areas he's better in are not areas that they struggle with. The areas they struggle with are exactly what Broberg excels at.

Reactions: capazzo

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
even so, as I said in my previous post, that’s still not a very effective mind game.

Everything Edmonton does: Stinky icky poopy
Everything St. Louis does: Absolute, unbridled genius

Is this a fair summary of your posts throughout this thread? I think so.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
even so, as I said in my previous post, that’s still not a very effective mind game.
Sure, but its 1 less day for them to improve their blue line which is going to be downright dreadful if Krug is out all season and Broberg was their bet to improve both now and in the future. Training camp opens in 2 weeks. Maybe the Blues don't care about making the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure they do.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Only if he performs adequately in a 2nd pairing role. I doubt it though. The Oilwrs wouldn’t trade him if he was a bonafide top 4 D.
There's a difference between being a 4 on a lottery team and a 4 on a Cup contender. Ceci will stand out in a good way in San Jose.

People criticize Grier, but he's bringing in locker room guys that do the thankless work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad