Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Is there any possibility that this deal could be for Vlasic? He is owed a $2.5M signing bonus that is likely due on July 1st. So, perhaps SJ s paying the bonus before shipping him ro Detroit. The 2nd round pick is for this year, so that part of the deal had to be done before the draft. SJ may have wanted Walman before the draft too, so they would have the option of using him in a daft day deal.

I have no idea if such a trade is fair or not. It's simply based on the idea that the futures considerations is a player with a signing bonus due July 1. Vlasic appears to be the only Shark with a significant signing bonus.
That would be even worse than getting nothing. Vlasic is an awful contract

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Is there any possibility that this deal could be for Vlasic? He is owed a $2.5M signing bonus that is likely due on July 1st. So, perhaps SJ s paying the bonus before shipping him ro Detroit. The 2nd round pick is for this year, so that part of the deal had to be done before the draft. SJ may have wanted Walman before the draft too, so they would have the option of using him in a daft day deal.

I have no idea if such a trade is fair or not. It's simply based on the idea that the futures considerations is a player with a signing bonus due July 1. Vlasic appears to be the only Shark with a significant signing bonus.

Why would the wings trade for Vlasic? Have you been drinking by any chance? :huh::laugh:

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
According to my sources, which will remain unnamed, Walman's value was very low because of his disgustingly awful ''griddy'' celebrations.

Reactions: Wats

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
People really upset at this dude celebrating? I'm 34 and can't wait to see my boy hit a griddy after he scores. God forbid someone show some personality and have fun in the NHL lmao
Exactly. This guy provides something different (whether you like it or not) and the SJ fanbase just had a pathetic showing in terms of attendance. Not saying he's going to be some huge fan favourite and help sell out the building, but it atleast gives casual fans something different.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It’s actually even worse than that. In that article:

“And if the Red Wings were truly desperate to be clear of Walman, they could have kept the second-round pick and simply waived him. The San Jose Sharks, I know for a fact, would have claimed him on waivers since they are first in the waiver order, like they did with Barclay Goodrow. In fact, I’ve heard San Jose was happily stunned when Yzerman simply didn’t ask for a return and offered a second-round pick sweetener.”

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
This is absolutely f***ing embarrassing and a disaster for Yzerman. I won't blindly defend him like some other Wings fans - unless he has a fantastic offseason otherwise, he should be fired at the end of next season if the Wings don't make the playoffs.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

“And if the Red Wings were truly desperate to be clear of Walman, they could have kept the second-round pick and simply waived him. The San Jose Sharks, I know for a fact, would have claimed him on waivers since they are first in the waiver order, like they did with Barclay Goodrow. In fact, I’ve heard San Jose was happily stunned when Yzerman simply didn’t ask for a return and offered a second-round pick sweetener.”
That reads very "You are now indebted to me." But I'm not sure that's how this works...

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

So either this article contains inaccurate information or Yzerman is the biggest idiot to ever be a GM.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It's entirely possible that Yzerman just grossly misread Walman's value while not being a huge idiot.

Smart GMs make mistakes too.

Yzerman has been pretty universally praised for his trading ability the past decade. Do we really think he called just one team and the first thing he said was take this player and a 2nd and give us nothing back? I can't imagine any GM operates this way, especially after he went about acquiring that pick in another trade. Perhaps this is related to the Goodrow claim.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yzerman has been pretty universally praised for his trading ability the past decade. Do we really think he called just one team and the first thing he said was take this player and a 2nd and give us nothing back? I can't imagine any GM operates this way, especially after he went about acquiring that pick in another trade. Perhaps this is related to the Goodrow claim.

So is Julien BriseBois and he traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th for Tanner Jeannot.

Good GMs can still make mistakes. Maybe Yzerman just super misread the market with Walman and assumed that he'd have to pay to dump him, so he just defaulted to the normal dumping price of a 2nd for that kind of contract. Walman makes $3.4 million with term and was a healthy scratch at the end of last year for Detroit. It's not a huge leap to think that Yzerman just assumed he'd have negative value.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I’d also like to believe Yzerman is smarter than this , but I find it funny people are plugging their ears to all the chatter coming out.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This is absolutely f***ing embarrassing and a disaster for Yzerman. I won't blindly defend him like some other Wings fans - unless he has a fantastic offseason otherwise, he should be fired at the end of next season if the Wings don't make the playoffs.
Giving up a draft pick that's extremely unlikely to turn into anything and an overpaid third pair defenseman is a disaster for Yzerman?

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Vlasic's so bad we'd have to send two firsts to eat his contract.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
So is Julien BriseBois and he traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th for Tanner Jeannot.

Brisebois was targeting a specific player. We also don't know how that negotiation went. If the goal was just to get rid of Walman's salary why would he not bother contacting any other teams or even negotiate with San Jose? There are no time constraints, he could have simply waived Walman first to see what happens. So either Yzerman's actions were completely erratic, irrational, and idiotic, or something in the report does not add up.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Giving up a draft pick that's extremely unlikely to turn into anything and an overpaid third pair defenseman is a disaster for Yzerman?
It seems people dont' understand what part of it is a disaster. It has nothing to do with what was given away, and everything to do with how it was done.

A 4th-7th round pick is worth almost nothing. If Yzerman called up San Jose and traded all of Detroit's 4th-7th round picks from 2024-2030 to them for free, just because, would you say it's inconsequential? It would have almost no impact on the franchise. But it wuold speak to terrible decision making by the GM. And that's what matters.

If, and I keep saying IF because it is still all rumors at this point:
1) Teams were willing to pay something (anything, 4th/5th pick, whatever) for Walman
2) Teams didn't even know Walman was available
3) Yzerman didn't even try to negotiate with San Jose, and simply offered up a 2nd instead of putting him on waivers or asking for something

Then Yzerman objectively made a terrible, indefensible trade and demonstrated poor decision making and piss poor asset management. The assets in question are not the point. Not sure how people can't see this.

Again, it may be that these podcast guys are wrong and there's more to this that we don't know about that will unfold. I'm only going off what is being said, and hence all my posts have the "if this is true" qualifier.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It seems people dont' understand what part of it is a disaster. It has nothing to do with what was given away, and everything to do with how it was done.

A 4th-7th round pick is worth almost nothing. If Yzerman called up San Jose and traded all of Detroit's 4th-7th round picks from 2024-2030 to them for free, just because, would you say it's inconsequential? It would have almost no impact on the franchise. But it wuold speak to terrible decision making by the GM. And that's what matters.

If, and I keep saying IF because it is still all rumors at this point:
1) Teams were willing to pay something (anything, 4th/5th pick, whatever) for Walman
2) Teams didn't even know Walman was available
3) Yzerman didn't even try to negotiate with San Jose, and simply offered up a 2nd instead of putting him on waivers or asking for something

Then Yzerman objectively made a terrible, indefensible trade and demonstrated poor decision making and piss poor asset management. The assets in question are not the point. Not sure how people can't see this.

Again, it may be that these podcast guys are wrong and there's more to this that we don't know about that will unfold. I'm only going off what is being said, and hence all my posts have the "if this is true" qualifier.
But he didn't trade all of Detroit's 4th-7th round picks from 2024-2030 to dump Walman. He traded a single 53rd overall pick, which has maybe a 10-15% chance of turning into a 200+ game NHLer.

You can criticize Yzerman's process based on random podcaster "reporting" all you want but the end result is harmless for the Red Wings. He gave up extremely minimal value to clear two years of $3.4M in cap space that was committed to a redundant player.

The only thing Yzerman deserves criticism for is signing Walman to that deal in the first place.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
But he didn't trade all of Detroit's 4th-7th round picks from 2024-2030 to dump Walman. He traded a single 53rd overall pick, which has maybe a 10-15% chance of turning into a 200+ game NHLer.

You can criticize Yzerman's process based on random podcaster "reporting" all you want but the end result is harmless for the Red Wings. He gave up extremely minimal value to clear two years of $3.4M in cap space that was committed to a redundant player.

The only thing Yzerman deserves criticism for is signing Walman to that deal in the first place.
It doesn't matter if it's harmless. You don't seem to understand this. The decision making itself is the issue, not the result of that decision making.

Reactions: Trow and Hammettf2b

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It doesn't matter if it's harmless. You don't seem to understand this. The decision making itself is the issue, not the result of that decision making.
Only if you think a GM's job is to squeeze every last drop of value out of every transaction no matter how insignificant.

Yzerman should be judged on whether he builds a competitive team, not some secondhand account of how this meaningless trade went down.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
That’s a good point on waiving. I do think he would have been claimed. Makes this trade more puzzling.

Either it’s a mismanagement issue, or there’s something about Walman the GMs know, that the public does not that makes him a less attractive asset.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Only if you think a GM's job is to squeeze every last drop of value out of every transaction no matter how insignificant.

Yzerman should be judged on whether he builds a competitive team, not some secondhand account of how this meaningless trade went down.
Of course. A single terrible decision isn't enough to crown him a bad GM.

But if he doesn't make the playoffs again and keeps acquiring/signing terrible players like Petry/Holl/Copp and re-signs Ghost, then his decision making should be rightfully questioned. And this specific trade is an instance of very bad decision making, once again, if what the pundits are saying is true.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

This isn't even squeezing every last drop. Sounds like no effort was made to see what he could get for Walman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad