Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Very obvious what happens here. Yzerman wanted to repair his braindead mistakes signing Holl and Chiarot as he NEEDS capspace this summer. No other GM was dumb enough to go even close and Yzerman balked at the asking price to get rid of them. So he was stuck with no other option than to get rid of a player another team actually wanted....

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I don’t see how the tweet you posted relates to the importance of the future considerations…can you elaborate a little on why you think the future considerations would be something important?
Because Seravilli makes it sound as though Yzerman didn't even shop Walman.

He traded a serviceable defenseman on a low contract, and a second, and didn't even shop him or waive him first. He went straight to SJ. That doesn't sound like a cap dump.

It leads to two possible outcomes:

Yzerman negotiated the trade specifically with SJ for some future eventuality. SJ picks immediately before Detroit at 14, so it might be draft related.

Yzerman is braindead and needs to be fired.

I'm going to hope for one and prepare for the other.

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Even if this is a prelude to another move, it indicates that no team around the league was willing to take Walman on for free. Which is strange to me.
If Walman has value, why send him to a team where he could be competitive against you and cost you wins. San Jose should firmly be in the cellar for at least another year or two.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
If Walman has value, why send him to a team where he could be competitive against you and cost you wins. San Jose should firmly be in the cellar for at least another year or two.

I mean it seems like a steep price to pay for a hypothetical and tiny competitive advantage.

I don't know, I'm just saying even if he uses that cap space well, it shouldn't have been that hard to send off Walman.

Am I totally crazy to wonder if the griddy stuff actually made him disliked around NHL execs?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I mean it seems like a steep price to pay for a hypothetical and tiny competitive advantage.

I don't know, I'm just saying even if he uses that cap space well, it shouldn't have been that hard to send off Walman.

Am I totally crazy to wonder if the griddy stuff actually made him disliked around NHL execs?
I wouldn't think twice about the griddy stuff. I think it's that his spot in the top 4 is taken with Edvinsson and it was a way to relieve some salary. I think with it being a late 2nd rounder, Yzerman wasn't too concerned with the asset price, once Nashville agreed to the prospect swap.

Edit: Also not to be lost on this is the opening of a roster spot, so if there is a trade that needs more people coming back, this allows for that. Or signing multiple players in Free Agency than they would have otherwise had room for. It's a shrewd move, for sure, but one borne out of availability/necessity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna and Dog

aircobra

May 4, 2013
Yzerman negotiated the trade specifically with SJ for some future eventuality. SJ picks immediately before Detroit at 14, so it might be draft related.

I won't comment on the other parts of this post because you're really reaching about what that tweet actually says. I will say you have gotta be joking if you are trying to imply SJ is giving up anything important, let alone the 14th pick.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Detroit trades Walman + 2nd to San Jose for future considerations
Detroit puts a capdump on waivers (Holl/Petry) to avoid their NTC/NMC
San Jose claims them as part of the future considerations
Would only be Holl at that point. Can't avoid a NMC which Petry has.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015

He traded a serviceable defenseman on a low contract, and a second, and didn't even shop him or waive him first. He went straight to SJ. That doesn't sound like a cap dump.

I do think Yzerman does a lot of really dumb things and it isn't that deep.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Detroit trades Walman + 2nd to San Jose for future considerations
Detroit puts a capdump on waivers (Holl/Petry) to avoid their NTC/NMC
San Jose claims them as part of the future considerations
I thought this but then Detroit didn’t put anyone on waivers today so…

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I won't comment on the other parts of this post because you're really reaching about what that tweet actually says. I will say you have gotta be joking if you are trying to imply SJ is giving up anything important, let alone the 14th pick.
Of course not the pick, but they might agree to not draft the player DET wants.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The future considerations could be getting San Jose to agree to claim someone off waivers for Detroit.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s strange nobody who’s surprised by this, wants to touch that he was a Healthy Scratch the final 15 games or so. He had played his way into the doghouse and every team in the league passed on giving up any value for him.

There’s a reason, he could ONLY play with Seider. His consistent, constant mistakes needed someone to cover for him. All to get the good part of his game to show. Those constant mistakes became too much for even Seider to help hide.

This was 100% expected if people would’ve paid attention to how the final quarter of the season went. The only question was, if they’d find a team willing to pay anything for him? That was an obvious no, as we found out yesterday.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Per Seravilli multiple GMs didn't even know he was available.
this makes me think its part of a bigger move with SJ. They probably wanted Walman to eventually flip at the deadline, + the 2nd is insurance to claim a guy like Husso or Holl off waivers.

Maybe if a guy Yzerman likes is there at 14 (eiserman, helenius etc) SJ agrees not to select them? a 2nd seems steep too, Walman would likely have been claimed off wiavers without needing to add the 2nd. Let him cook.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
this makes me think its part of a bigger move with SJ. They probably wanted Walman to eventually flip at the deadline, + the 2nd is insurance to claim a guy like Husso or Holl off waivers.

Maybe if a guy Yzerman likes is there at 14 (eiserman, helenius etc) SJ agrees not to select them? a 2nd seems steep too, Walman would likely have been claimed off wiavers without needing to add the 2nd. Let him cook.
If anything it's part 2 that sj won't pick a guy they like but if that's the case why not just flip picks in the deal. Won't be a waiver pick up of a NTC guy with SJ on the list.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It’s strange nobody who’s surprised by this, wants to touch that he was a Healthy Scratch the final 15 games or so. He had played his way into the doghouse and every team in the league passed on giving up any value for him.

There’s a reason, he could ONLY play with Seider. His consistent, constant mistakes needed someone to cover for him. All to get the good part of his game to show. Those constant mistakes became too much for even Seider to help hide.

This was 100% expected if people would’ve paid attention to how the final quarter of the season went. The only question was, if they’d find a team willing to pay anything for him? That was an obvious no, as we found out yesterday.

A trade may have been expected but paying a premium to get nothing in return was not.

We are talking about a guy who was 14th among Dmen in goals last season (23rd over the last 2 seasons) while getting historically difficult usage. We have seen plenty of guys with worse outcomes get moved as reclamation projects plenty of times.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

That first scenario doesn't make sense, why would you not just swap picks as part of that trade then so it's guaranteed rather than rely on a pinky promise that SJ will follow through on whatever was agreed on behind close doors?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad