Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I clearly stated I wouldn’t re-sign him. I also pointed out there are reasons he has more value and earning potential than Walman.
After the statement that Ghost is a better version of Walman. Weird thing to state considering they aren't remotely the same kind of player. Walman got caved on the first pairing. Fair. Ghost was getting caved in the most sheltered minutes in the league this past season.

1719361400495.png

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
so...its been a couple of hours and I checked in on what the sportswriters are saying....

It really does appear that the Wings are just clearing space for call ups and freeing up cap to re-sign Ghostisbehere.

I want a new GM.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Bottom line was, Seider was spending half of his shifts, recovering from Walman’s blind, 3 ft passes to his imaginary friend. Yet Lalonde kept giving him chance after chance, playing important minutes, before they finally gave up on him in early March.

Teams scout other teams, and he was that bad since December. Jake Walman played his way off the Detroit Red Wings, and into a salary dump.

It’s crazy how much people don’t watch a player. He had a great year in 22-23’ but literally fell off a cliff this past season, after getting paid. He was atrocious and Lalonde kept putting him out there, hoping he’d snap out of it.

As I said back 2 months ago…. When Walman came back from his injury, and was moved off of Seider’s left side, that decision came from up above. Edvinsson took his place in the Top 4 during his injury, but remember, he was a healthy scratch right before the injury too.

Walman was fully cleared on April 1st. Then Lalonde sat Maatta one game for Walman on the bottom pairing, and that was it. He was bad again, and it was apparent Maatta was gonna help them much more than Walman.

He was stapled to the press box for the last few weeks after that.

He was nowhere in their plans going forward. People just kept pretending it was something to do with an injury, because they like him personally. He himself, mentioned something in a recent podcast. That he’s gonna have to be better and wants to remain in Detroit. The podcast guys didn’t even catch it really, and just kept going on about his celebrations.

The writing was on the wall. They want to move Holl, Walman and Maatta and add two top dmen to play with the two kids. Then have Chiarot/Petry and Johansson filling out the D-Core.

If Matt Roy coming home is one of them, he’ll slide in with Edvinsson. The second one will have to have more offense to his game. Is Shea Theodore available? Or will they do Montour, and add a lefty to play with Seider.

Gostisbehere is likely still in the picture as well. He did play very well down the stretch for them.

One thing was for certain though. They wanted to clear Walman, Maatta and Holl off the books.

One down, possibly two to go.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You don't even know what today's trade was all about, unless you have some kind of special insider information that the rest of us aren't privy to.

Apparently you severely overvalue Walman. That's not a SFY problem, that's a YOU problem! Poor evaluation of talent is why you are on a message forum right now spewing off gargled BullShyt.

I wasn't aware that @ShelbyZ was the one that signed Walman a year ago to the contract that apparently took a 2nd round pick to get rid of

did Shelby sign Holl too? bad Shelby!

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
so...its been a couple of hours and I checked in on what the sportswriters are saying....

It really does appear that the Wings are just clearing space for call ups and freeing up cap to re-sign Ghostisbehere.

I want a new GM.
It's the 2nd round pick that doesn't make sense. If you're just clearing cap space you should be able to clear Walman pretty easily without the 2nd.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It's the 2nd round pick that doesn't make sense. If you're just clearing cap space you should be able to clear Walman pretty easily without the 2nd.
agreed. another poster theorized that Goodrow already wants out of SJ and they might ship him retained to DET after the draft day/Free Agency dust settles --- only thing that makes even a shred of sense to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
He needed a 2nd for this lol 😂 Yzerman must have something else cooking
Like dementia perhaps ? I hope he's ok.

Can Vancouver trade for him now ? Subject to never doing a "griddy" in a Canucks uniform for the duration of the contract

aircobra

May 4, 2013
agreed. another poster theorized that Goodrow already wants out of SJ and they might ship him retained to DET after the draft day/Free Agency dust settles --- only thing that makes even a shred of sense to me.

It makes no sense when you realize the Sharks don't have any retention slots until next off-season.

• Wow
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Bottom line was, Seider was spending half of his shifts, recovering from Walman’s blind, 3 ft passes to his imaginary friend. Yet Lalonde kept giving him chance after chance, playing important minutes, before they finally gave up on him in early March.

Teams scout other teams, and he was that bad since December. Jake Walman played his way off the Detroit Red Wings, and into a salary dump.

It’s crazy how much people don’t watch a player. He had a great year in 22-23’ but literally fell off a cliff this past season, after getting paid. He was atrocious and Lalonde kept putting him out there, hoping he’d snap out of it.

As I said back 2 months ago…. When Walman came back from his injury, and was moved off of Seider’s left side, that decision came from up above. Edvinsson took his place in the Top 4 during his injury, but remember, he was a healthy scratch right before the injury too.

Walman was fully cleared on April 1st. Then Lalonde sat Maatta one game for Walman on the bottom pairing, and that was it. He was bad again, and it was apparent Maatta was gonna help them much more than Walman.

He was stapled to the press box for the last few weeks after that.

He was nowhere in their plans going forward. People just kept pretending it was something to do with an injury, because they like him personally. He himself, mentioned something in a recent podcast. That he’s gonna have to be better and wants to remain in Detroit. The podcast guys didn’t even catch it really, and just kept going on about his celebrations.

The writing was on the wall. They want to move Holl, Walman and Maatta and add two top dmen to play with the two kids. Then have Chiarot/Petry and Johansson filling out the D-Core.

If Matt Roy coming home is one of them, he’ll slide in with Edvinsson. The second one will have to have more offense to his game. Is Shea Theodore available? Or will they do Montour, and add a lefty to play with Seider.

Gostisbehere is likely still in the picture as well. He did play very well down the stretch for them.

One thing was for certain though. They wanted to clear Walman, Maatta and Holl off the books.

One down, possibly two to go.

This is super revisionist. Walman's metric and the eye test both said he wasn't making a ton of blind passes or hanging Mo out to dry that often. And compared to literally every other d-man not named Seider he was the best defender on Detroit. And at 3.5 million a season he wasn't blocking Detroit's ability to sign anyone when the cap is close to 90 million.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
After the statement that Ghost is a better version of Walman. Weird thing to state considering they aren't remotely the same kind of player. Walman got caved on the first pairing. Fair. Ghost was getting caved in the most sheltered minutes in the league this past season.

View attachment 887295

On a largely unrelated note...lol @ Brandon Carlo off there just chillin'. OZone ain't for me bruhs. Ya'll have at it.

But also, these sort of charts are so unreadable without filtering and comparison lol. Though for the purposes of this...pretty relevant.

Also an indication that Lalonde (or maybe his defensive assistant) is an absolute full bore lunatic about deployment. He'd put Alain Vigneault to shame.

Reactions: norrisnick

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What? I thought Walman was doing pretty good paired with Seider.
Some of that might have been Seider and we won't really ever find out because San Jose is in a major rebuild and the next season is going to be really rough.

That being said this is a great move for San Jose.

Reactions: lilidk

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
This is always an interesting take. Like do people think they didn't try moving his $3.4 million for the next two years, without giving up the pick?

That’s what the market demanded today. Just like Nashville had to give Detroit a nice prospect to go with a 2nd Rounder for Gibson. Just like whatever AAV teams spend on whatever other player.

Detroit had two dmen both making $3.4 for the next two years, that 31 other teams, all knew they wanted to move. They can’t buy out everyone and teams don’t like retaining multiple years. Maatta should be a different story. He only has the year left, and he’s been very solid. They should be able to get something for him. Especially making less than the other two.

We shall see though.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Man look what happens when you do the griddy. Automatic negative trade value! Let this be a lesson, young whipper snappers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad