Confirmed Trade: [SJS/DET] Jake Walman and 2024 2nd round pick for future considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
A bigger name or names are going to become red wings.
With what cap space? They will have 16+ million locked up in Raymond and Seider and will need to fill 9 more roster spots. Sounds like Ghost is going to get a raise so that’ll be another 6 million off the books. Leaving 10 million to re-sign Veleno and 7 other players.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Mike Grier asked Dean Winchester about his best hoodoo and used it on Stevie Y.

tumblr_m9r0tk3PGZ1qegpxeo1_500.gif

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
The future considerations return paired with the additional second makes me think SJ is going to be retaining salary in a trade, possibly to move out Husso in a Saros trade. There is nothing to indicate that Walman needed to be a cap dump. Without additional trades this is just a really bad, unnecessary, dumb move.
San jose has used 3 retention spots and have no retention spots left. This trade is finalized, it was walman and 2nd for nothing.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wait so they traded Walman+Gibson for Kiiskinen?

It somehow looked even worse when framed like that.

Technically Yzerman traded UFA cap dump Nick Leddy for Kiiskinen + Larry Keenan.

Yzerman used all outside assets he acquired for free, and still got 3 years out of Walman and 2 years out of Oscar Sundviqst.

Yzerman scored both Kiiskinen and Keenan for free.

• Haha
Reactions: ShelbyZ

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He plays both sides, but he really can't. He's useless on the left, because it's not advantageous to him offensively and defensively he sucks on either side. I would 1000% prefer Walman for 2 years at $3.whatever over Ghost at whatever the f*** he's signing for this summer.
One can actually play on the PP in the NHL and the other cannot. That seems a pretty massive thing to overlook. I also wouldn't pay Ghost, but it isn't controversial to point out what they like about him and the areas yes offensively where he shells Walman. Both struggle defensively.

I have been a fan of Walman clear back to his days at Providence. He had a very poor second half and Yzerman is shipping him out. I don't know what his next plan is but he is clearly building towards something. We missed the playoffs and he is making another roster adjustment, that his job. It might suck if he does it to a guy most like, but the organization lost faith.

I also think stapling him to Seider drags Mo down a little. I would like Seider to have the more defensive partner while being the more offensive guy. I think he has rounded his game a lot, but I would really like to put him in a more offensive role, having Edvinsson up should help the top 4 a lot.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
San jose has used 3 retention spots and have no retention spots left. This trade is finalized, it was walman and 2nd for nothing.

This is part of the fun with this whole thing.

Like 99% of trades for "future considerations" end with nothing eventually going the other way, but when the infallible Steve Yzerman makes one it MUST mean that he's playing some 7D chess with this trade being the first marble in some Rube Goldberg like trade chain that ends up with the Wings getting some colossal return. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Technically Yzerman traded UFA cap dump Nick Leddy for Kiiskinen + Larry Keenan.

Leddy wasn't a UFA signing. Yzerman traded a 2nd round pick and a cap dump in Richard Panik to get him from the Islanders.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
One can actually play on the PP in the NHL and the other cannot. That seems a pretty massive thing to overlook. I also wouldn't pay Ghost, but it isn't controversial to point out what they like about him and the areas yes offensively where he shells Walman. Both struggle defensively.

I have been a fan of Walman clear back to his days at Providence. He had a very poor second half and Yzerman is shipping him out. I don't know what his next plan is but he is clearly building towards something. We missed the playoffs and he is making another roster adjustment, that his job. It might suck if he does it to a guy most like, but the organization lost faith.

I also think stapling him to Seider drags Mo down a little. I would like Seider to have the more defensive partner while being the more offensive guy. I think he has rounded his game a lot, but I would really like to put him in a more offensive role, having Edvinsson up should help the top 4 a lot.
Lots of players can play on the PP. Including ones already on the roster. Ghost is Barrie with a weird name.

Ghost bleeds goal against at a precipitous rate and is one of the worst offensive generators at ES on the Wings. Only Fischer, Kostin, Czarnik, Aston-Reese and Veleno had lower GF/60 than Ghost. And the PP performed better with Seider than Ghost. So what even is the f***ing point of him?

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
This is part of the fun with this whole thing.

Like 99% of trades for "future considerations" end with nothing eventually going the other way, but when the infallible Steve Yzerman makes one it MUST mean that he's playing some 7D chess with this trade being the first marble in some Rube Goldberg like trade chain that ends up with the Wings getting some colossal return. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Leddy wasn't a UFA signing. Yzerman traded a 2nd round pick and a cap dump in Richard Panik to get him from the Islanders.
To be fair this is one of the trades for future considerations that caught pretty much everyone off gaurd

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I slag on Grier a lot but these are the type of deals he should be making with his cap space. Good work.

No idea what Yzerman is doing though.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Go deeper. Yzerman acquired that Oilers 2nd round pick from a Panik cap dump. Free assets.

Out of all these free 2nd rounders thrown around, Yzerman got service out of Leddy, Sundqvist, Panik (I think - *edit played 12 games) and Walman.

That's more service he would have gotten out of any late 2nd rounder he may have selected. And now he has Kiiskinen to show for it (again, free asset). Net positive + for Yzerman.

*Edit to add Panik played 12 games with Detroit.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Go deeper. Yzerman acquired that Oilers 2nd round pick from a Panik cap dump. Free assets.

Out of all these free 2nd rounders thrown around, Yzerman got service out of Leddy, Sundqvist, Panik (I think) and Walman.

That's more service he would have gotten out of any late 2nd rounder he may have selected. And now he has Kiiskinen to show for it (again, free asset). Net positive + for Yzerman.

Uh, the Oilers 2nd rounder came from the trade that sent Athanasiou to the Oilers.

Dude I know Yzerman is a cool guy, but you don't have to sprinkle diamonds on turds for him.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
San Jose definitely loves this no matter what.
Of course. Chances are they get paid on both ends of Walman's tenure in San Jose. Don't run into that very often. Wouldn't surprise me if he got another 2nd sometime during the 2025-26 season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lots of players can play on the PP. Including ones already on the roster. Ghost is Barrie with a weird name.

Ghost bleeds goal against at a precipitous rate and is one of the worst offensive generators at ES on the Wings. Only Fischer, Kostin, Czarnik, Aston-Reese and Veleno had lower GF/60 than Ghost. And the PP performed better with Seider than Ghost. So what even is the f***ing point of him?
I clearly stated I wouldn’t re-sign him. I also pointed out there are reasons he has more value and earning potential than Walman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad