Prospect Info: SJ Sharks 2020 draftee (1/31) Ozzy Wiesblatt (RW) - Prince Albert Raiders/WHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Wiesblatt is a human cheat code in transition. His decision-making is so refined, and he’s not afraid to attack layers. Everything starts for Wiesblatt with a crossover-heavy skating stride, one which affords him three-step separation from defenders in space. He works from a constant base of activity and never lets his foot off the gas. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

He looks like a stud on film. He's also from my home town. Love this pick.
When I saw him play against calgary I remember he was great at getting into the O zone.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Pronman's thoughts from the Athletic's live draft tracker. Some of this is a repeat of my earlier post from the Athletic piece:

31. San Jose Sharks: Ozzy Wiesblatt, RW, Prince Albert-WHL

March 9, 2002 | 5-foot-10 | 183 pounds

Wiesblatt was a top player for Prince Albert this season following an excellent 16-year-old season where he was a contributor to its WHL title run. Wiesblatt checks a lot of boxes. He’s very quick and skilled. He makes skilled plays at full speed and is a handful for defenders to stop when he comes barreling down on the rush. His hands stand out, with extremely quick twitch touches and ability to inside out defenders. He can attack in a direct style, but also has great vision and can pull up to make a tough play. He was on the flank for Prince Albert’s power play and looked like a pro in the type of plays he made in that role. He’s barely 5-10 so that is the major knock on him, but he is competitive and doesn’t mind the physical engagements. He is listed as a winger but can play down the middle.

Marc Habscheid, coach of Prince Albert Raiders, on Wiesblatt: “He competes well. He has a swagger about him. He wants to be in pressure situations. He has a quick stick and quick feet, and he is smart offensively.”

Pronman’s thoughts: Wiesblatt is a talented player who stood out in my viewings. I like how many plays he can make, he can skate and he works hard. I debated listing him as a potential second-liner, but lean more to a third because he’s not incredibly dynamic for 5-foot-10, but I see the argument to give a higher grade.

2020 NHL Draft Round 1 full analysis: What we learned

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So seems like the trend with DW Jr. so far is that he loves guys who love to make zone entries.

DWjr

ActiveCarelessKouprey-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Actually seems like Hertl and Thornton are the ones missing. Since the 3 who attended have letters.
I guess Thornton not coming makes sense since he's technically not a Shark.
I mean it was like 5 in the morning in Switzerland...

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
21. San Jose Sharks

Pick: 31. Ozzy Wiesblatt
My ranking: No. 52 (change: +21)

Wiesblatt’s a blend of old and new. He can play a hard, engaged style that complements high-end talent and makes him look bigger than he is. But he can also make high-skill plays, he’s not afraid to try things, and his o-zone skill developed aggressively last season. My lower ranking here is driven primarily by the fact that I’m not convinced that o-zone skill will translate up levels against bigger, faster, stronger, smarter defenders. Wiesblatt’s a good prospect and a wonderful kid, but he could end up as more of a role player if he doesn’t develop any one of his skills from B-level to A-level.

Scott Wheelers grades us as losers but it's only relative to his personal draft board. The write up still reads nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad