Prospect Info: SJ Sharks 2020 draftee (1/31) Ozzy Wiesblatt (RW) - Prince Albert Raiders/WHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

Quite honestly this was one of my favourite moments of the Draft. I also really liked the Trebek move by Ottawa & Cheryl Hawerchuk picking for the Jets.
32E0E1AF-6E92-4E27-82C5-3716586FA8F7.gif

If there’s anything that was an improvement of the Virtual Draft over the traditional ones, it was moments like this and seeing these guys celebrate unabashedly in the company of their families.

As some of you know, I’ve been cheering for Ryan Merkley, and now you have another Prospect I’m really hoping to have success with you.

Thank you to those who have been Posting information about Ozzy and best of luck over the off-season. Hopefully last season was an anomaly and you can rebound with style.
0655F8F0-DD98-4AED-B9D5-D7E4FFCAAD73.gif

Cheers

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I finally watched some highlights of our first rounder, Ozzy. One thing that I noticed is that he likes to hit. Not huge hits but he likes to make contact. For a skill guy, that’s impressive.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I finally watched some highlights of our first rounder, Ozzy. One thing that I noticed is that he likes to hit. Not huge hits but he likes to make contact. For a skill guy, that’s impressive.

That's a double-edged sword though. It's easier for guys to be physical in a league where 5'10/180 is closer to the norm than the bottom end of the size scale and where you're lucky if a roster has 1 or 2 guys with NHL potential and 1-3 more with minor pro (AHL or elite Europe) potential. Major junior is full of guys who were small buzzsaw type players that thrived in that environment but can't continue it at the NHL level because suddenly they're 3-5 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than a ton of their competitors, including many of the elite players.

The best (or worst) example in recent-ish memory that I always recall is Gilbert Brule. He mostly just gets remembered as a huge bust in that 05 draft but it's easy to forget that he was a prodigious offensive talent. In his draft -1 year he put up nearly a point per game. He had 87 points in 70 games in his draft year. He was nearly a 40-goal scorer. He even did it in the WHL playoffs. He had bucketloads of skill. But he also played a high-energy, rambunctious game at 5'10 and around 180ish.

Then Columbus takes him and he gets out there in the pros and gets absolutely lit up because now he can't muscle guys at his size. He gets into physical battles with opposing defenders and ends up getting crushed because he lacked size and ended up bearing all the impact of collisions. He got hurt from there and flamed out when he never found a groove in which to play the game the way he had always played.

So while I love Wiesblatt's willingness to play with an edge, I also kind of want to see if they can teach him to get away from that so that he doesn't feel like he has to go out and use that physicality to prove himself and have it lead to a bad end. He has skill, make sure he leans on that instead.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
That's a double-edged sword though. It's easier for guys to be physical in a league where 5'10/180 is closer to the norm than the bottom end of the size scale and where you're lucky if a roster has 1 or 2 guys with NHL potential and 1-3 more with minor pro (AHL or elite Europe) potential. Major junior is full of guys who were small buzzsaw type players that thrived in that environment but can't continue it at the NHL level because suddenly they're 3-5 inches shorter and 20 pounds lighter than a ton of their competitors, including many of the elite players.

That's roughly my thought in that size is a risk for NHL size/speed/hitting. However, looking through all the photos I can find of this prospect, he does have a larger frame to bulk up. If he makes it as a regular in the NHL, I see him as a 2/3 line forward, going back and forth.

That's probably pretty darn good for the last pick of the 1st round.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Seems like a overreaction by both parties. I won't pretend to know odr rules in Calgary but doesn't seem like they would be strict enough for police to pull a taser and for a MJ players to put up that big of a stink.

Bad looks all around

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Seems like a overreaction by both parties. I won't pretend to know odr rules in Calgary but doesn't seem like they would be strict enough for police to pull a taser and for a MJ players to put up that big of a stink.

Bad looks all around
Yeah they were breaking them pretty bad. I havent seen it but I saw it mentioned there was like 40 guys. We are in a lockdown right now so thats a big no no.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Bad looks all around

He chose not to comply with their requests, all of which were reasonable for the situation. Only bad look is for Wiesblatt.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

Bad looks all around

Right now the province is in full lockdown with restrictions on gatherings of groups of individuals indoors and outdoors. Basically, you are allowed to go for walks by yourself and other activities where you can keep a safe social distance from each other, like skating, however activities like shinny right now are not permitted as you can not socially distance. Participating in one of these gatherings can lead to a $1000+ fine plus a court summons to answer charges that could result in $100,000 if you are found guilty (generally reserved for the organizers of events that break these provincial orders.)

Reactions: themelkman

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Right now the province is in full lockdown with restrictions on gatherings of groups of individuals indoors and outdoors. Basically, you are allowed to go for walks by yourself and other activities where you can keep a safe social distance from each other, like skating, however activities like shinny right now are not permitted as you can not socially distance. Participating in one of these gatherings can lead to a $1000+ fine plus a court summons to answer charges that could result in $100,000 if you are found guilty (generally reserved for the organizers of events that break these provincial orders.)
Cool, thanks for sharing

This information certainly paints ocean in a worse light. That said, I still think there are more preferable outcomes than pulling out a taser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad