Simon Edvinsson

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I have said in other threads, but want to say it here. By season's end the experts will be saying this guy would have been a lock for the Calder.

He is already an anchor top 4 D'man for Detroit and, likely any team in the NHL. At day's end, he will be better than Mo.

He is UNREAL good.

Mo and Simon ...... WOW! They could be an all-star pairing year over year over year.

Just a side note here. Simon's weight gain secret.. avos

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
I have said in other threads, but want to say it here. By season's end the experts will be saying this guy would have been a lock for the Calder.

He is already an anchor top 4 D'man for Detroit and, likely any team in the NHL. At day's end, he will be better than Mo.

He is UNREAL good.

Mo and Simon ...... WOW! They could be an all-star pairing year over year over year.

Just a side note here. Simon's weight gain secret.. avos

Liking the kids potential future? Cool. Great.

Acting like he's already arrived 3 games into the season? You lost me.

I'm going to keep pointing to how his play leads to Grade-A scoring chances for the other team WAY too often

1729111111859.png

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
You can see his potential poke through every game. His skill with the puck, his skating, physicality, his reach and gap control. That being said, he has made some risky plays and rookie mistakes which are to be expected. He should only get better but based on the end of last year and start of this year, I'm pretty confident he is going to be a big time difference maker for us. What tier of defensemen he eventually lands is to be determined but every team in the league will wish they had an Edvinsson.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I'm going to keep pointing to how his play leads to Grade-A scoring chances for the other team WAY too often

He is learning.

You know what that thing is for young players?

Ever heard any talk about NHL defencemen, how their prime will start at ~28 year old, or after ~400 games?

Ed is 21.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Got to be honest, I have not come away all that impressed thus far. So far we have seen very few of the "skill" moments that he has the ability for. He pulled one the other night, with the dipsy doodle on a guy, but most of the 3 games he has looked like any generic defender to me. There are a fair amount of times where he looks like he isn't sure who he is supposed to be covering and reacts late as a result.

Right now he doesn't look like a stud at all, which is fine as he is young and learning, but reading so many people bragging up how good he looks, makes me wonder who they are watching.

Reactions: izlez

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Got to be honest, I have not come away all that impressed thus far. So far we have seen very few of the "skill" moments that he has the ability for. He pulled one the other night, with the dipsy doodle on a guy, but most of the 3 games he has looked like any generic defender to me. There are a fair amount of times where he looks like he isn't sure who he is supposed to be covering and reacts late as a result.

Right now he doesn't look like a stud at all, which is fine as he is young and learning, but reading so many people bragging up how good he looks, makes me wonder who they are watching.
Last season he came in and all of a sudden Jeff Petry was a functional 2nd pairing d-man.
This season he comes in and all of a sudden Justin Holl is a functional 2nd pairing d-man.

Kid oozes talent and potential. Don't let some miscues and growing pains keep you from enjoying what we're seeing. 10 years from now you'll want to say you saw from the start how good he was going to be.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Last season he came in and all of a sudden Jeff Petry was a functional 2nd pairing d-man.
This season he comes in and all of a sudden Justin Holl is a functional 2nd pairing d-man.

Kid oozes talent and potential. Don't let some miscues and growing pains keep you from enjoying what we're seeing. 10 years from now you'll want to say you saw from the start how good he was going to be.

Neither of your functional statements are true. Petry is at best a 3rd pair guy and Holl is at best an even lower 3rd pair guy or 7th/8th kind of guy. A few games of looking ok from these 2 mean nothing. Simon played only 16 games last season and 3 this year.

He has lots so skill, but thus far he hasn't flashed all that much of it. His pairings have given up quite a few good chances, and not just because of his partners.

Not saying he isn't going to be great, he just doesn't look that great to me thus far if we are being honest. I think people are being a little homerish in their praise thus far.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
He is by no means perfect, but he continues to show signs he has the potential to be an outstanding two-way defenseman.

I just hope the coaches don't crush his offensive side. Although risky at times, the ability to join the rush changes the dynamics of this team. Opposing teams will have to always consider him a threat. Same will be said when ASP arrives.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He is learning.

You know what that thing is for young players?

Ever heard any talk about NHL defencemen, how their prime will start at ~28 year old, or after ~400 games?

Ed is 21.
He didn't say he was a bad player.

An inch of criticism in this forum and people act like you've turn the page on guys and want terrible things to happen. The guy said some hyperbolic stuff like he's already a top 4 on any team, he's going to be better than Seider. All real stretch at the moment.

I'm like you and just want the kid to play and talk about it in mid-December/January. I hope the original posters statements come true even, just I'm not betting on it or currently seeing it. I'm just hoping he has an above average rookie year, doesn't get hurt and is consistently playing minutes.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
My hot take is that Ed (and Mo) are overvalued by the fans.
Wings fans haven't overvalued a d-man in 30 years. Lidström, Konstantinov, Murphy, Kronwall, Rafalski etc. created unreasonable expectations on everyone that came after though. Look at how happy Canucks fans have been with Hronek. Look at how successful and highly valued Jensen has been for other teams. Brendan Smith had a nice career of being valued after he left Detroit where he was undervalued.
No fanbase is harder on d-men than Detroit fans. If Yzerman selected Broberg and Edmonton grabbed Seider the Oilers would be going for their 3rd or 4th cup in a row right now.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think Seider actually gave Wings fans unreasonable expectations of young dmen. Most have way more growing pains than he did.

Ed has an insane amount of potential and you see bits of it every game but he has also made a decent chunk of rookie mistakes. The guy already makes the best outlet pass on the team, but he does need to work on his flailing in the defensive zone. I appreciate that he isn't afraid to take the body in front of the net, but he needs to get better along the boards. He also tends to lose his guy a bit.

With that said he is already in a top 4 role, isn't being sheltered, and doesn't have what I would term a reliable NHL partner. Coming out of the off season, his lack of a solid partner, was my biggest critique of Yzerman and the spot that I could see causing the Wings to lose out on a playoff spot. I don't see a Seider like maturity to Eds game, and think it will take time for him to fully develop his game at an NHL level. I don't think its reasonable to expect him to fully carry his top 4 pair.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

View attachment 917405
Using /60 stats when a guy hasnt even played 60 minutes is certainly a choice. Advanced stats have a place for sure, but this is exactly the time of year they mean nothing and the eye test is way better. Hes been really good the last 2 games

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

View attachment 917405
I always said you can't judge Hronek until he gets a legit NHL level partner. Ed has it a bit easier because he's got low level 3rd pair partners instead of AHL level partners like Hronek, but D stats rely so heavily on the partner you have to take things with a grain of salt. When a defenseman has a crappy partner, they try to cover for their partner instead of covering their man.

Case in point from the last game, Holl gets turned around by the puck carrier, Ed decides to lean in that direction instead of covering his man. End result... goal.

Screenshot 2024-10-17 043139.png

Whatcha doing Holl? Ya commit that much to one side, you know any competent puck handler is gonna go behind your back dummy.

Screenshot 2024-10-17 044458.png

Ed's got a split second to make a decision, Holl never catches up, Ed's trying to make sure the puck carrier doesn't have a shot or an easy path to the crease, leaves his man open a bit, and Lyon allows a soft goal like Husso is his mentor and role model. He had plenty of time to position himself better.

Holl screws up, Lyon let's in a softie, Ed gets -1 and HDCA. That's how stats work.

I watched this a few time to capture the right frames. I'm now convinced that Cam is the only hope for this season.

Last edited:

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
Wings fans haven't overvalued a d-man in 30 years. Lidström, Konstantinov, Murphy, Kronwall, Rafalski etc. created unreasonable expectations on everyone that came after though. Look at how happy Canucks fans have been with Hronek. Look at how successful and highly valued Jensen has been for other teams. Brendan Smith had a nice career of being valued after he left Detroit where he was undervalued.
No fanbase is harder on d-men than Detroit fans. If Yzerman selected Broberg and Edmonton grabbed Seider the Oilers would be going for their 3rd or 4th cup in a row right now.

Murph? Really?

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I always said you can't judge Hronek until he gets a legit NHL level partner. Ed has it a bit easier because he's got low level 3rd pair partners instead of AHL level partners like Hronek, but D stats rely so heavily on the partner you have to take things with a grain of salt. When a defenseman has a crappy partner, they try to cover for their partner instead of covering their man.

Case in point from the last game, Holl gets turned around by the puck carrier, Ed decides to lean in that direction instead of covering his man. End result... goal.

View attachment 917686
Whatcha doing Holl? Ya commit that much to one side, you know any competent puck handler is gonna go behind your back dummy.

View attachment 917687

Ed's got a split second to make a decision, Holl never catches up, Ed's trying to make sure the puck carrier doesn't have a shot or an easy path to the crease, leaves his man open a bit, and Lyon allows a soft goal like Husso is his mentor and role model. He had plenty of time to position himself better.

Holl screws up, Lyon let's in a softie, Ed gets -1 and HDCA. That's how stats work.

I watched this a few time to capture the right frames. I'm now convinced that Cam is the only hope for this season.
To be totally fair, that NYR rush was set up by a poor clear of the puck up the ice by Ed (Mick actually did an explanation a few minutes later) and the the forwards had a poorly timed line change...but yeah, hard to fault Ed on the D-Zone play on that one, it was basically a 2 on 1 with the puck carrier already in the slot (both on their off shooting sides too)...so it was really hard to play the pass, but Lyon should have played it better too once he realized Ed would not let the puck carrier have an open path to the net.

It is early in the season, these wrinkles will hopefully get worked out in short order.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad