Simon Edvinsson

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The theory that's been floated a bit is moving Chiarot to the right side and playing him on a 3rd pairing with Edvinsson.

As for the ELC sometimes it makes sense to burn a year, it could be beneficial for getting that 2nd contract cheaper.

Most.... of the time guys like him aren't stepping into "potentially" playoff type situation.

Outside of completely striking out with Larkin and FA next year, I don't see how he isn't on the team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We should be able to project Edvinsson up for next season.

When he was sent to farm after pre-season games, Lalonde talked how he would like to have a special teams role for him. There wasn't a clear role a year ago.

But, Yzerman traded Hronek, and imo, this the way to open a long-time future slot for him.

So how are the guys currently?

Power-play:
Seider 3:08
(Hronek 2:24)
Walman 0:41
Chiarot 0:30
Määttä 0:03
Lindström 0:03
Oesterle 0:02

So clearly, trading Hronek did open a power-play spot for 2nd unit. There really isn't any other PP defenceman currently than Seider.

Walman has been getting those 2nd unit minutes on last games, after the Hronek trade (Seider 3:08, Walman 1:05)

Fabbri, Perron, Larkin, Raymond, Seider - 1st unit
Copp, Berggren, Kubalik, Sundqvist/Chiasson, Walman - 2nd unit

And how about the penalty kill?

PK:
Seider 2:30
Chiarot 2:25
Walman 1:50
(Hronek 1:37)
Määttä 1:16
Hägg 0:44
Oesterle 0:11
Lindström 0:02

It looks like there isn't so much of spot open. Seider, Chiarot, Walman and Määttä are all signed and getting those Top4 PK minutes. What's interesting, how Hronek's PK role started dropping during the season, and Walman is getting heavily extra.

Last 3 games, after the Hronek trade:
Walman 3:33
Seider 3:08
Chiarot 2:25
Määttä 1:47
----------
Hägg 0:41
Lindström 0:00
Oesterle 0:00

So there has been a change, Chiarot dropping from 1st PK pair minutes and that goes heavily to Walman-Seider. Hägg is the 5th defenceman, which will join the PK, if Top4 has taken a penalty. But he is not regular there. This role could fall to Edvinsson.

So there's a 2:24 PP role available (from Hronek) and 0:44 PK role available (from Hägg). I think it would be time to bring the kid up.

Walman - Seider
Määttä - Chiarot
Edvinsson - Lindström/Hägg/Oesterle

For some reason, that Hronek role was already smaller before the trade, his last 5 games ice-time (without the last game injury) was 18:51 min on average, 4th most. That's what Edvinsson should get.

Last 5 game ice-times before Hronek injury and trade:
Seider 22:55
Walman 19:56
Chiarot 19:21
Hronek 18:51 <--- Edvinsson in here
Määttä 17:44
Lindström 15:14
---------------
Hägg 14:03

Reactions: Murmansk16A

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just have some changes for next game
Edvinsson - Seider
Come on let's have some fun and something new to talk about

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Just have some changes for next game
Edvinsson - Seider
Come on let's have some fun and something new to talk about

I think most fans would love to see Edvinsson up but believe he will likely only see 9? games due to burning an ELC year. I could be wrong on the amount of games but would imagine Yzerman would value cost control over an extended look on a season like this.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I think most fans would love to see Edvinsson up but believe he will likely only see 9? games due to burning an ELC year. I could be wrong on the amount of games but would imagine Yzerman would value cost control over an extended look on a season like this.
Not only Edvinsson, but it is right time to give AJ 9 games

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie

Think with Hronek gone and with the depth part of our D being in question for next year both may get some games down the stretch to gauge where they are at in terms of NHL readiness and to get a gameplan in place for them to compete next year in training camp. The stretch run against teams competing for playoff positioning is a good baptism by fire.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Johansson's contract doesn't slide, so the 9 game limit is irrelevant for him. Edvinsson is the only player currently in GR with whose contract can slide.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

We have 18 games left, so why not giving them both a 9 game chance ?

Johansson's contract doesn't slide, so the 9 game limit is irrelevant for him. Edvinsson is the only player currently in GR with whose contract can slide.

9-game limit is not irrelevant. I remember there's some factor (if playing +9 games) between 10 to 40 games for arbitration rights or something.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
We have 18 games left, so why not giving them both a 9 game chance ?

9-game limit is not irrelevant. I remember there's some factor (if playing +9 games) between 10 to 40 games for arbitration rights or something.
That qualifies as irrelevant.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Edvinsson really started cooking around the half way point this year, I say let him finish or call him up for the last nine games of the season. There’s no need to rush these guys. Edvinsson will be a full timer next year, let him keep building his foundation.

I think you could probably call Johansson up full time though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No matter what the game amounts are, the point is that you don't call them both. You split the chance.

But both Johansson and Edvinsson could play the same role for some games.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Always love these long videos, where you can learn more about the player personality.

This video was made few months after the 2021 draft. He was already Detroit's property.

Reactions: ZDH and Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Always love these long videos, where you can learn more about the player personality.

This video was made few months after the 2021 draft. He was already Detroit's property.

He seems like someone who is a real leader.

I'm getting future visions of Seider wearing the C and both Edvinsson and Kasper wearing letters.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
He seems like someone who is a real leader.

I'm getting future visions of Seider wearing the C and both Edvinsson and Kasper wearing letters.
Larkin will have the C until he retires.
I can see Seider with an A for sure, and then 2 of Edvinsson/Kasper/9th OA this year sharing the second A.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Larkin will have the C until he retires.
I can see Seider with an A for sure, and then 2 of Edvinsson/Kasper/9th OA this year sharing the second A.

Seider is the C after Larkin retires. Just like Lidström... will get the C as 36-year old. :D haha

We just need to enter an era where we have "too much" of those captain types. Like we did have in the old days, Chelios, Murphy, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidström, Draper etc. there was a long list of former Captains as assistants or who were Captains for National teams. Like Filppula was Captain for Finland as both -22 Olympic Gold and -22 WHC Gold. Pavel Captained Russia for the 2010-19 decade etc.

That's what we need. Kasper becoming Austrian Captain, Seider becoming German Captain, Raymond and Edvinsson being at least both Sweden and Detroit assistants etc etc. Who knows if Mazur is a Captain type and becomes a future assistant etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Seider is the C after Larkin retires. Just like Lidström... will get the C as 36-year old. :D haha

We just need to enter an era where we have "too much" of those captain types. Like we did have in the old days, Chelios, Murphy, Shanahan, Fedorov, Lidström, Draper etc. there was a long list of former Captains as assistants or who were Captains for National teams. Like Filppula was Captain for Finland as both -22 Olympic Gold and -22 WHC Gold. Pavel Captained Russia for the 2010-19 decade etc.

That's what we need. Kasper becoming Austrian Captain, Seider becoming German Captain, Raymond and Edvinsson being at least both Sweden and Detroit assistants etc etc. Who knows if Mazur is a Captain type and becomes a future assistant etc.
don't you dare put chelios and murphy as possible captain types. That's just blasphemous.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
don't you dare put chelios and murphy as possible captain types. That's just blasphemous.

Maybe you are joking, but Chelios was Captain for both US and those damn Hawks...

1686347128141.png

Don't think Murphy ever was a C, but assistant for the Penguins Cup team 30 years ago or somthing.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Maybe you are joking, but Chelios was Captain for both US and those damn Hawks...

View attachment 716589

Don't think Murphy ever was a C, but assistant for the Penguins Cup team 30 years ago or somthing.
Not joking, unfortunately.

Never liked him. Played against his son once or twice and he was always the d**k parent that tried to draw penalties for his kid and the ref's always obliged because "hey it's chelios, he must know".

Also, he is just a terrible person. :/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad