• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
If Dickinson is aavaliable at 5 its going to hard to pass IMO......having seen the talent roll.thru London since '99 kid is right up there.

I know Montreal needs top end F depth but there are ways to acquire it outside of this 1 pick. Sam D has all the tools, progression, work ethic to be a top 2 D for 10+ years.
If he makes 2nd/3rd year D a tradeable option so be it.
At #5 gotta take BPA......if HuGo thinks it's a F I'll support it, if it's SD I'll love the pick but if it is Parekh I'll be pissed, thou that'll mean nothing lol.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I think an hybrid between B.Tkachuk and Max Domi (playstyle wise obviously, size wise those 3 are completely different).
There was actually a good quote in that Black Book ranking video that was very well thought out and done.
They compared Tij to a Brad Marchand type of player who's attitude will be to constantly get better every year.
They put both Lidstrom and Demidov ahead of him.
They also put Sennecke slightly ahead of him but their reasoning didn't strike me as all that convincing.
Same exact arguments we've seen throughout in this thread.
Nothing I've seen has moved me off Iggy or Zeev as our best options if the others are gone.

Last edited:

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
If Dickinson is aavaliable at 5 its going to hard to pass IMO......having seen the talent roll.thru London since '99 kid is right up there.

I know Montreal needs top end F depth but there are ways to acquire it outside of this 1 pick. Sam D has all the tools, progression, work ethic to be a top 2 D for 10+ years.
At #5 gotta take BPA......if HuGo thinks it's a F I'll support it, if it's SD I'll love the pick but if it is Parekh I'll be pissed, thou that'll mean nothing lol.

do you think he's another Matheson though? Is he any good in his own end?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
do you think he's another Matheson though? Is he any good in his own end?
Take the time to listen to the Black Book video that was posted earlier today.
At least you are getting a well thought out suggestion based on two years of following and watching these guys live.
Infallible no well informed yes. They peg Dickinson as a Noah Hannafin type defender. What they liked best about him was his skating.
I watched every game he played against Saginaw who were by far London's toughest competition and I tend to agree with their ranking and assessment.
Will be a good NHL prospect plays that Pro game style under Hunter but is there more to his game?
He's not a big hitter he's not the hardest guy to play against. I thought Isaiah George was actually harder to play against.
He does a lot thing well but nothing over the top.

Reactions: Habs

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Not to be a dick but why do we have this thread seperate from the main draft thread? This specific group of players doesn't even really make sense, I would really only include Lindstrom and maybe Iginla as likely targets based on the rumors + rumblings. Why not just merge with the main draft thread? Ok sorry in advance

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Not to be a dick but why do we have this thread seperate from the main draft thread? This specific group of players doesn't even really make sense, I would really only include Lindstrom and maybe Iginla as likely targets based on the rumors + rumblings. Why not just merge with the main draft thread? Ok sorry in advance
Most likely all the post-draft excitement floating around motivated the original poster to create this thread because he couldn't contain his excitement to see Montreal keep his 5th place at the draft.

So a boring bland draft thread wasn't enough. And here we are 90 pages later with a second alternate draft thread because one isn't enough for Habs board :DD

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Take the time to listen to the Black Book video that was posted earlier today.
At least you are getting a well thought out suggestion based on two years of following and watching these guys live.
Infallible no well informed yes. They peg Dickinson as a Noah Hannafin type defender. What they liked best about him was his skating.
I watched every game he played against Saginaw who were by far London's toughest competition and I tend to agree with their ranking and assessment.
Will be a good NHL prospect plays that Pro game style under Hunter but is there more to his game?
He's not a big hitter he's not the hardest guy to play against. I thought Isaiah George was actually harder to play against.
He does a lot thing well but nothing over the top.

so trade Matheson for a young stud, maybe to the Peg , and replace him with SD. Do you like him more than Buium?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It will all come to a head in 4 days and we will certainly end up with ONE post draft thread in the name of the player selected at 5 this will give some plenty of opportunity to vent.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
so trade Matheson for a young stud, maybe to the Peg , and replace him with SD. Do you like him more than Buium?
I think Buium is heads and tales the best defenceman in the draft.
But Matheson is not the player I would see us moving at this time if we selected him.
HuGo very much stated they want to make the team better next season without sacrificing the future.
Moving Matheson is not sacrificing the future but it does not make us better.
The redundancy would be on the left side for sure and Lane Hutson Engstrom Harris and Struble would be the likely trade chips.
This providing they see Buium as a true 1st line minute muncher able to direct a Power Play.
Demidov and Lindstrom would have to be gone and Buium would have to be rated much higher than Iginla or Sennecke as the most valuable piece.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
But Matheson is not the player I would see us moving at this time if we selected him.
HuGo very much stated they want to make the team better next season without sacrificing the future.
The redundancy would be on the left side for sure and Lane Hutson Engstrom Harris and Struble would be the likely trade chips.
This providing they see Buium as a true 1st line minute muncher able to direct a Power Play.
Demidov and Lindstrom would have to be gone and Buium would have to be rated much higher than Iginla or Sennecke as the most valuable piece.

My thought is Guhle is in the last year of his contract and will need a new one and we will be deciding who to keep after this year, money will be tight. Do you run with MM & Guhle, or make a decision now on who we are going with. The team is a ways away from being a threat, moving MM may be a good play to free up the cap to get the young future set. I don't see them ditching Gally or Anderson's contracts so maybe MM has to go for the benefit of the young blueline.

It is going to get interesting.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The only way we will move Matheson is something we can't refuse. Doubt other teams believe in him like we do.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My thought is Guhle is in the last year of his contract and will need a new one and we will be deciding who to keep after this year, money will be tight. Do you run with MM & Guhle, or make a decision now on who we are going with. The team is a ways away from being a threat, moving MM may be a good play to free up the cap to get the young future set. I don't see them ditching Gally or Anderson's contracts so maybe MM has to go for the benefit of the young blueline.

Habs don't have cap issues. The timing should work out well in terms of when Slaf, Dach, Guhle, Newhook needs extensions. The expiring contracts to Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak are gone (if not traded before). Then there is cap growth.

Only way I see us getting into trouble is we have some real high end break outs to Slaf, Dach, Newhook in the next few seasons.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

They will have plenty of cap space in the next 2 years. Lots of expiring contracts and cap is going up....

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Habs don't have cap issues. The timing should work out well in terms of when Slaf, Dach, Guhle, Newhook needs extensions. The expiring contracts to Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Dvorak are gone (if not traded before). Then there is cap growth.

Only way I see us getting into trouble is we have some real high end break outs to Slaf, Dach, Newhook in the next few seasons.
Slaf is the scary one to me. If he wants a 2 year bridge and then becomes the monster we are all hoping he becomes he will want 11-12...or they could get lucky and he could sign a long deal similar to CC and Suzuki.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Slaf is the scary one to me. If he wants a 2 year bridge and then becomes the monster we are all hoping he becomes he will want 11-12...or they could get lucky and he could sign a long deal similar to CC and Suzuki.

Yup, I'm sure Slaf's agent and Hughes talk this summer. They will look at multiple options and see how the numbers fall. Lets say Slaf puts up 70 pts and 30 goals next season (with no extension yet).... what does earn for a long term deal?

22/23: 10 pts in 39 games with 4 goals
23/24: 50 pts in 82 games with 20 goals
24/25: 70 pts in 82 games with 30 goals ??
---------------------------------------------
130 pts in 203 games = 0.64 pt/game.
* Prorates to 53 pts

Doubt he reaches $11 or $12M level. He would have to have 80-100 range next season IMO.
* If we extend him this summer for 8 years, my guess would be $7M-$8M range.
* If he has 70 pts next year, I would say he demands something around the $8M-$9M range.

Reactions: jaffy27 and ReHabs

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I keep reading on here habs can’t have good players because they cost too much and the cap bla bla… We should hope habs land big time stars, their draft choices explode and pay them all to attract more.

Going to watch McDavid carry the Oilers tonight and feel good teams can both be fun to watch and go far with a 12.5m$ best player.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Yup, I'm sure Slaf's agent and Hughes talk this summer. They will look at multiple options and see how the numbers fall. Lets say Slaf puts up 70 pts and 30 goals next season (with no extension yet).... what does earn for a long term deal?

22/23: 10 pts in 39 games with 4 goals
23/24: 50 pts in 82 games with 20 goals
24/25: 70 pts in 82 games with 30 goals ??
---------------------------------------------
130 pts in 203 games = 0.64 pt/game.
* Prorates to 53 pts

Doubt he reaches $11 or $12M level. He would have to have 80-100 range next season IMO.
* If we extend him this summer for 8 years, my guess would be $7M-$8M range.
* If he has 70 pts next year, I would say he demands something around the $8M-$9M range.
70pts in a league where the leading scorers get DOUBLE that is impressive but only to a certain point. Unless he's willing to sign for under 8m now, I'd wait to see what he has after next season. Like you say, it's hard to expect him to hit 80-100pts next season -- it's not really fair to expect that from him either.

If he puts up 70pts it'll be great but his negotiating position won't get him 9m. The delta between a 7.5m contract now and 8.75 this time next year is worth waiting imo. If he falls short of 70pts that's fine too, you can secure him for 7.5ish this time next year.

I keep reading on here habs can’t have good players because they cost too much and the cap bla bla… We should hope habs land big time stars, their draft choices explode and pay them all to attract more.

Going to watch McDavid carry the Oilers tonight and feel good teams can both be fun to watch and go far with a 12.5m$ best player.
People are too conditioned to be miserable.

The best players get paid and they deliver the goods. It's perfectly fine and a sign of progress in the rebuild if we have highly paid stars.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
70pts in a league where the leading scorers get DOUBLE that is impressive but only to a certain point. Unless he's willing to sign for under 8m now, I'd wait to see what he has after next season. Like you say, it's hard to expect him to hit 80-100pts next season -- it's not really fair to expect that from him either.

If he puts up 70pts it'll be great but his negotiating position won't get him 9m. The delta between a 7.5m contract now and 8.75 this time next year is worth waiting imo. If he falls short of 70pts that's fine too, you can secure him for 7.5ish this time next year.

We see it the same. Lots of fans are talking to high of a contract. Same thing when some were talking $9M+ for Caufield. Slaf has to have a 80-100 pts season to start talking $9M+. There is some layer to new contract values with a $88M and $92M+ cap to come but I don't think the $10M+ contract and 100 pts season is in the cards for Slaf.

Last edited:

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

People are too conditioned to be miserable.

The best players get paid and they deliver the goods. It's perfectly fine and a sign of progress in the rebuild if we have highly paid stars.
like stated above, even the worry warts should feel fine most horrible Bergevin contracts are almost paid out.

Things are lining up but habs need at least one game breaker, however much $$$ they want.

Final sign Hugo are ready for a cup run is when they bring back Perry of course…

edit, oops sry this is the draft thread not the trade one…

Go Demidov or Catton.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

I'm with you on this. If Demidov and Lindstrom are 1 and 2 on Hughes list and are gone at 5th then just get the best D available if they consider him to be better than the other potential forwards and that even if it's a LHD.

Just get BPA no matter the position. Habs do need blue chip forward prospects but a potential top 2 minutes eating PP QB D is just as useful and valuable

Last month i was go all in on a forward but i changed my tune. I think it's wiser to get a top D at 5 then to reach for a forward.

Reactions: rve24 and ReHabs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm with you on this. If Demidov and Lindstrom are 1 and 2 on Hughes list and are gone at 5th then just get the best D available if they consider him to be better than the other potential forwards and that even if it's a LHD.

Just get BPA no matter the position. Habs do need blue chip forward prospects but a potential top 2 minutes eating PP QB D is just as useful and valuable

Last month i was go all in on a forward but i changed my tune. I think it's wiser to get a top D at 5 then to reach for a forward.
Berkly Catton could be our Jack Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad