Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He left home at 14?

Welp.

It's confirmed then.

Habs will draft him.
Snippet from The Athletic article:
Lindstrom’s life changed dramatically when he was 14 and his new agent, Daren Hermiston, arranged for him to leave his mother, his grandparents and his three sisters — the backbone of Lindstrom’s childhood — to move 12 hours south to Vancouver, where he would train and learn the finer points of the game at the Delta Hockey Academy in 2020, at the onset of the pandemic.

The president of that academy is Ian Gallagher, the father of veteran Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher, and he remembers seeing Lindstrom walk in for the first time as a teenager.

“In the 30 years that I’ve been doing this, he’s No. 1 in a number of physical categories: his power, his speed,” Gallagher said in a phone interview Thursday. “During that pandemic year, our NHL guys were back at the rink, and his lap speed at the age of 14 was comparable to what they were doing — what those pro bodies were doing.

“He was doing beach runs with 10-year pros and finishing before them. He’s advanced in those categories.”

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm not really following your logic here- you draft one top 6 with size (and have another in Dach) and you've hit your limit for bigger players? Lindstrom doesn't just have his size going for him either, his hands, shot and speed are all attributes as well.
There are other pressing needs for the top6 at this time. Dach and Slafkovsky means our biggest priority isn't to get Moar Big but to pick up the piece we absolutely do not have: a top-tier playmaker.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
There are other pressing needs for the top6 at this time. Dach and Slafkovsky means our biggest priority isn't to get Moar Big but to pick up the piece we absolutely do not have: a top-tier playmaker.
Dach not being injured for once would be a start , fitting the role as second center is another one. We are still unsure at this point

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Dach not being injured for once would be a start , fitting the role as second center is another one. We are still unsure at this point
If Lindstrom was a pass-first 6'4" centreman I would be all in for him but he's not. The options are, as I see it, Demidov or Catton OR one of the top-notch dmen. Sennecke being a wild card of sorts too, and then there's Iginla who no longer seems top5 but maybe the Habs see his upside/runway because he's so young.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

I think all things considered equal or just about, the Habs would absolutely want to get moar big.

Dach should very tentatively be included in our future blueprint due to his obvious injury issues.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
this seems like a purposefully obtuse reading of what he wrote - why does meeting with Habs have to be HuGo? scouts meet with players all the time during the season

When you say that a player met with Habs the implication is absolutely a high level representive and likely more......not a regional scout asking questions which generally does not happen during the season. The only thing that is obtuse is your response.

He did not have any such meeting during the season and if your preference is to shape information so that it fits into your narrative then you should not interact with me.

I made it clear that I was not accusing the poster of anything and it very likely was semantics or a timeline issue that was lost in translation. The fact that you were too triggered to even recognize these nuances and then throw around the word "obtuse" is priceless. I don't have a problem with the poster and it is a non issue so pull yourself together, there is no fight for you to intervene in.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think all things considered equal or just about, the Habs would absolutely want to get moar big.

Dach should very tentatively be included in our future blueprint due to his obvious injury issues.

There is nothing tentative about the inclusion of Dach into the "future blueprint".

He has experienced unrelated freak injuries to entirely different parts of his body with absolutely no evidence of a chronic ailment over a minuscule sample size. The hand wringing and overt consternation over these injuries is tin foil hat level ridiculous.

The only thing that we haven't seen is Dach take that next step due to not being healthy over the short time we have had him. He was absolutely our best forward in pre season and the first 4 periods of this past season and looked every bit the part of a dominant playmaking/play driving center. If you think that HuGo are on the fence about Dach's importence to the future of this team then you are badly mistaken. He was great at the end of his first season in Montreal and had that dominant bubble in Chicago before the wheels fell off. The upside is obvious and while injuries have certainly played a role in delaying his ascension there isn't any evidence that any of these injuries are relevant to his future.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
There is nothing tentative about the inclusion of Dach into the "future blueprint".

He has experienced unrelated freak injuries to entirely different parts of his body with absolutely no evidence of a chronic ailment over a minuscule sample size. The hand wringing and overt consternation over these injuries is tin foil hat level ridiculous.

The only thing that we haven't seen is Dach take that next step due to not being healthy over the short time we have had him. He was absolutely our best forward in pre season and the first 4 periods of this past season and looked every bit the part of a dominant playmaking/play driving center. If you think that HuGo are on the fence about Dach's importence to the future of this team then you are badly mistaken. He was great at the end of his first season in Montreal and had that dominant bubble in Chicago before the wheels fell off. The upside is obvious and while injuries have certainly played a role in delaying his ascension there isn't any evidence that any of these injuries are relevant to his future.
But do you think Dach's mere presence on the roster means the Habs should de-prioritize the Moat Big obsession of many fans ? I think yes, but I can see why the Moar Big contingent will never be satisfied either. You can always get Moar Big.

If Lindstrom was a Joe Thornton type he would challenge for 1OA not be possibly available at 5OA, so at that point there's a genuine question: why should we not go for someone else who fits our needs better than simply Moar Big?

I'm warmed up plenty to Lindstrom after the past few days of devouring his reports and highlights but the Habs still need a top-tier playmaker and haven't had one since... the 90s? Doesn't seem like Catton is a Gorton type (that is: slight, skilled and unlikely to bust!!) but can Sennecke be that guy? Can Demidov?

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

Totally disagree. His injury history is concerning to many ppl, and his time away from the game is concerning for his development. Some ppl seem to think Dach could be a 1st line player, but others are worried that his injury will hamper him, or he will get injured again, or he has lost a step which will take a season to catch up.

I hope he is good on day one, but to be concerned isn’t crazy.

Reactions: bsl

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
But do you think Dach's mere presence on the roster means the Habs should de-prioritize the Moat Big obsession of many fans ? I think yes, but I can see why the Moar Big contingent will never be satisfied either. You can always get Moar Big.

If Lindstrom was a Joe Thornton type he would challenge for 1OA not be possibly available at 5OA, so at that point there's a genuine question: why should we not go for someone else who fits our needs better than simply Moar Big?

I'm warmed up plenty to Lindstrom after the past few days of devouring his reports and highlights but the Habs still need a top-tier playmaker and haven't had one since... the 90s? Doesn't seem like Catton is a Gorton type (that is: slight, skilled and unlikely to bust!!) but can Sennecke be that guy? Can Demidov?

I am a proponent of big rosters as it is an indisputable fact that size is a key element on the vast majority of Cup winners. I have no problem with smaller players as long as they are effective in the dirty areas of the ice and do not wilt when the playoffs begin.

I would have no issue taking Catton over Lindstrom if HuGo are convinced that he can and will play this style of game. I am on the fence with Lindstrom as I am still yet to be convinced of his IQ and offensive upside at the NHL level. Like the rest of us I pay attention to the game iso's and do not have any live viewings of the vast majority of these kids so my opinion doesn't mean much. No matter how much anyone on here professes to know it is all nonsense and my concers about Lindstrom are just as likely to be nonsense as they are to being true.

My only issues are when fans grossly miss read skating ability and invent/repeat biased narratives that they support with unverified quotes and data. From my flawed methodology of video scouting Lindstrom can be underwhelming and he makes me nervous. I think Catton is more likely to be an offensive force in the NHL regular season but I only care about playoff performance so therein lies my quandary with him at the NHL level. The nauseating meme that states that some players get you to the playoffs and that is good enough if they don't produce is bubble gum/candy land nonsense. You draft players who are winners and champions in the making and stay away from prima donnas who will blow up your salary cap and quit when the going gets tough. Thhis is why I am leaning towards Iginla as I think he will bring it at a high level from game number one to the last game of the playoffs/season and has a higher floor than Lindstrom but a lower offensive ceiling than Catton.......although he may end up being the better playoff scorer, who knows.

I also like Helenius a lot and suspect that HuGo and Bobrov have taken a very close look at him as well. I have Lindstrom behind both of Iginla and Helenius which might surprise many.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Totally disagree. His injury history is concerning to many ppl, and his time away from the game is concerning for his development. Some ppl seem to think Dach could be a 1st line player, but others are worried that his injury will hamper him, or he will get injured again, or he has lost a step which will take a season to catch up.

I hope he is good on day one, but to be concerned isn’t crazy.

Who cares how many "people" are concerned with his injury.

Do you know how many "people" think the earth is flat? Not all opinions are worthy of discussion. If Kirby hurts the same knee then we have a problem but if he blocks a shot and breaks a bone in his foot or hand these "people" will quickly add this to their baseless and meaningless narrative. People who intuitively don't apply critical thinking and instead assign agency to things that they do not understand (especially things that are unpleasant) are simply doing what our ancestors have done since the rise Australopithecus, Homo Habilis and Homo Erectus up to modern humans. It is important to embrace rational thought and move past such flawed misunderstandings of cause and effect as it is ruining modern society. I am on the Bill Burr cruise ship angle when it comes to these groups lol.

Of course it is "concerning" when young developing players get injured but the "injury prone" narrative is just dumb at this point in time.

Last edited:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
When you say that a player met with Habs the implication is absolutely a high level representive and likely more......not a regional scout asking questions which generally does not happen during the season. The only thing that is obtuse is your response.

He did not have any such meeting during the season and if your preference is to shape information so that it fits into your narrative then you should not interact with me.

I made it clear that I was not accusing the poster of anything and it very likely was semantics or a timeline issue that was lost in translation. The fact that you were too triggered to even recognize these nuances and then throw around the word "obtuse" is priceless. I don't have a problem with the poster and it is a non issue so pull yourself together, there is no fight for you to intervene in.
-did you meet with the Habs?
-no but i met with Habs scouts

a totally normal conversation between two human people

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
-did you meet with the Habs?
-no but i met with Habs scouts

a totally normal conversation between two human people

They key is the answer "no"

I was only bringing it up because there are so many posters on here who can't separate truth from bias and the story will turn into years of....."Hughes met with Iginla like 12 times during his draft year"

Not sure how a reasonable assertion can ruffle so many feathers when this board is over run with tropes and truisms that are verifiably wrong. People on here are quoting reporters and basement teens as insiders lol.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Whomever we draft keep in junior next year. Be developed more the next year. gives Habs extra year or two to carry star on third year on their ELC. Bridge contracts on top young players seems to be thing of past. Most don't add much at 18.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Interesting... With Dach and Slaf's size, we don't need to get "Moar Big" but we need better playmaking even though Dach and Suzuki's strongest offensive attributes are playmaking.

Either way, it's been strongly suggested that the management group values size and speed which is what Lindstrom brings. IMO it's much easier to acquire playmakers than it is power forwards with speed.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Interesting... With Dach and Slaf's size, we don't need to get "Moar Big" but we need better playmaking even though Dach and Suzuki's strongest offensive attributes are playmaking.
Suzuki's not a particularly special playmaker. He's an all-around player and he's not afraid to shoot. Great player, not a top tier playmaker. Dach... who knows what he is at the NHL level.
Either way, it's been strongly suggested that the management group values size and speed which is what Lindstrom brings. IMO it's much easier to acquire playmakers than it is power forwards with speed.
How many top-tier playmakers have the Habs had since the late 90s? Zero. I don't think it's easy to acquire a top-tier playmaker.

Reactions: Timelord

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Who's going to make space for your top-tier playmaker? Double shift Slaf? Maybe Kent should trade for Marner, he's a top-tier playmaker, and we all know how he produces when space gets tight.
How many top-tier playmakers have the Habs had since the late 90s? Zero. I don't think it's easy to acquire a top-tier playmaker.
Is this guy not good enough for you? lol

David-Desharnais-POTW.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jaffy27

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Who's going to make space for your top-tier playmaker? Double shift Slaf? For all of Dach's size, I wouldn't say he's overly physical. May Kent should trade for Marner, he's a top-tier playmaker.
Most top-tier playmakers make space for themselves by being ahead of the play. You don't necessarily need to be 6'7" to be a good NHL player. Nikita Kucherov kicked the crap out of the Habs, for example. Our leading scorer Nick Suzuki is 5'11" and he's very good at everything.

But we're not used to seeing top playmakers because we haven't had a top playmaker in decades.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Most top-tier playmakers make space for themselves by being ahead of the play. You don't necessarily need to be 6'7" to be a good NHL player. Nikita Kucherov kicked the crap out of the Habs, for example. Our leading scorer Nick Suzuki is 5'11" and he's very good at everything.

But we're not used to seeing top playmakers because we haven't had a top playmaker in decades.

This, and, the overall roster & coaching context makes a massive difference for all but generational level talents...

Huberdeau is a textbook example of this.
90+ point (pace & actual), elite playmaker from age 25-28, including 115 pts at 28, then at 29 & 30, 50 point player with defensive warts exposed as the ice stopped tilting in his favor.

No injury, just different roster & coaching...

KH is building the kind of talented core that will allow high skill players to scratch at their ceiling. We haven't seen this kind of top 6 & top 4 talent assembled for as long as I've followed the team.

Future is bright 😎

Reactions: Habssince89

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Big players rule, really? Marchessault is 5'9, I dont think the playoffs have been a problem for him.

To trade a player with a shot and skill like Caufield because he isnt 6'2 is just absolute ridiculous reasoning. This isnt 2012-14 when the Kings were winning the Cup with the style the league had.

Panthers aren’t small at all

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am a proponent of big rosters as it is an indisputable fact that size is a key element on the vast majority of Cup winners. I have no problem with smaller players as long as they are effective in the dirty areas of the ice and do not wilt when the playoffs begin.

I would have no issue taking Catton over Lindstrom if HuGo are convinced that he can and will play this style of game. I am on the fence with Lindstrom as I am still yet to be convinced of his IQ and offensive upside at the NHL level. Like the rest of us I pay attention to the game iso's and do not have any live viewings of the vast majority of these kids so my opinion doesn't mean much. No matter how much anyone on here professes to know it is all nonsense and my concers about Lindstrom are just as likely to be nonsense as they are to being true.

My only issues are when fans grossly miss read skating ability and invent/repeat biased narratives that they support with unverified quotes and data. From my flawed methodology of video scouting Lindstrom can be underwhelming and he makes me nervous. I think Catton is more likely to be an offensive force in the NHL regular season but I only care about playoff performance so therein lies my quandary with him at the NHL level. The nauseating meme that states that some players get you to the playoffs and that is good enough if they don't produce is bubble gum/candy land nonsense. You draft players who are winners and champions in the making and stay away from prima donnas who will blow up your salary cap and quit when the going gets tough. Thhis is why I am leaning towards Iginla as I think he will bring it at a high level from game number one to the last game of the playoffs/season and has a higher floor than Lindstrom but a lower offensive ceiling than Catton.......although he may end up being the better playoff scorer, who knows.

I also like Helenius a lot and suspect that HuGo and Bobrov have taken a very close look at him as well. I have Lindstrom behind both of Iginla and Helenius which might surprise many.
Since you like Iginla over Lindstrom, how do you view Iginla’s chances of remaining a centre in the show? We’ve seen this past week how he’s said that he sees himself as a centre but as we know, there is always that margin to account for between what a player says and what he actually ends up doing.

Reactions: jaffy27

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Since you like Iginla over Lindstrom, how do you view Iginla’s chances of remaining a centre in the show? We’ve seen this past week how he’s said that he sees himself as a centre but as we know, there is always that margin to account for between what a player says and what he actually ends up doing.

He appears to have a higher IQ than Lindstrom so he may very well be the better center. Iggy is so great on the boards and coming off of the wall it would be a shame to limit that area of his game. I suspect he is a winger if we take him with already having Suzuki and Dach entrenched as the top two centers with Beck and Kapanen looking to vie for the 3C role.

He is a lefty which works with both Suzuki and Dach as he could take faceoffs on his strong side if he proves to be competent in that area. Ideally I would want 12 centers at forward so I hope he has a great year at center........I am making it sound like it is a foregone conclusion that we take him lol.

I will be happy with whoever they select, I think Tij seems like a perfect fit both on and off of the ice. I think the odds are at least decent that he is among their top targets but we will not know anymore about their leanings or Tij's ability to play center before the draft so take anything that I say with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad