Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Me, it's Catton, most skilled after Celebrini and Demidov.
Same here. It think Catton's skill is firmly above that of Iginla, Sennecke, and Lindstrom.

His IQ is through the roof and he seems to think the game ahead of pretty much everyone else on the ice. He's got very good skating and a really good shot to go along with it. Thinks fast, moves fast, shoots fast. It's hard to play against.

I'm still a bit surprised there isn't much noise around us drafting him. Perhaps it's because we have a good chance at Demidov whose skill is also sky high.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
With this draft, I feel like a kid at a candy store, I want them all. Didn’t feel like this with the 2 prior drafts, I had preferences (Wright and Michkov). Really want another top 15 pick to grab the faller.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
I think they are after both talent and size but also good skaters. Slaf and Reinbacher fit.

Are you saying we took the less talented Slaf over Cooley because he was bigger? :sarcasm:. Who's got more talent now? Bet you the draft so called experts would have said Cooley has more skill pre draft. Much different conversation today

The better drafting teams in the NHL go after all 3. Skill/Skating/Size. It's clear as day. Sometimes, you are in a draft spot where you can't find a guy with high grades at all 3 areas and then you go with the guy you think will be the best and skill/skating should not be sacrificed because you are looking at size. Like the KK, McCarron, and Tinordi picks for example.
I remember the year after the draft, Cooley was the best prospect, many people said it was a mistake to take Slaf. Last year, many people still said we should trade 5th OA for Cutter or pick Michkov insteaf of Reimbacher

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I started a thread on the Prospect board to poll posters on how many D will go in the top 5, and it overwhelmingly has 2 leading, with 3 in second place. Seems like league-wide the speculation is more about which two or three Dmen will be picked in the top 5. If that happens, we'll get one of Lindstrom or Demidov if that happens. I can't see the Habs picking Iggy, Sennecke, or Catton if those two are up for grabs at 5th overall.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
I started a thread on the Prospect board to poll posters on how many D will go in the top 5, and it overwhelmingly has 2 leading, with 3 in second place. Seems like league-wide the speculation is more about which two or three Dmen will be picked in the top 5. If that happens, we'll get one of Lindstrom or Demidov if that happens. I can't see the Habs picking Iggy, Sennecke, or Catton if those two are up for grabs at 5th overall.
There's still a solid chance Chicago will decide to go for Demidov and Columbus will go for Lindstrom. In that scenario, we likely go for Sennecke. No matter what, we're getting an awesome player IMO. There's also a tiny, tiny chance we might go pick either Levshunov or Dickinson if available (and Demidov/Lindstrom are already taken). No matter what, I'm excited (though I do hope we get Demidov in the end).

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
You don't.

I would.

Personally, I will be very happy if we take Tij. I see a safe top 6F base with the potential of top line value. And he's going to be similar to his father's size. 6'-0" and 185 lbs today and won't take that long to get to 6'-1" and 200+ lbs. Certainly not the type to be afraid of contact and less time/space.

First off DON'T expect a drafted player to grow an inch post draft. That's an uncommon occurrence. Heck Hutson growing was due to a physical "defect.". Second Tij isn't Jarome. They don't even play the same way. Personally I think using a 5th OVA for a 2nd line Wing is a waste.

I have never seen Iginla play other than some videos on YouTube. What makes him a must draft player?

He's an intense player, an intense 2nd line Wing.

He just had his growth spurt, he'll need some more time to fill out. It's not like he's Slaf whose a 240lb rookie

And Slafs was too heavy back then at 240. This year he leaned out to like 228 which helped.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
There's still a solid chance Chicago will decide to go for Demidov and Columbus will go for Lindstrom. In that scenario, we likely go for Sennecke. No matter what, we're getting an awesome player IMO. There's also a tiny, tiny chance we might go pick either Levshunov or Dickinson if available (and Demidov/Lindstrom are already taken). No matter what, I'm excited (though I do hope we get Demidov in the end).
I think if bolded happens, I think Hughes would trade down (still in the top 10) and take Iggy/Catton/Sennecke while collecting an asset(s) by moving down.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Same here. It think Catton's skill is firmly above that of Iginla, Sennecke, and Lindstrom.

His IQ is through the roof and he seems to think the game ahead of pretty much everyone else on the ice. He's got very good skating and a really good shot to go along with it. Thinks fast, moves fast, shoots fast. It's hard to play against.

I'm still a bit surprised there isn't much noise around us drafting him. Perhaps it's because we have a good chance at Demidov whose skill is also sky high.

There is not too much noise about drafting him cause he miss an inch at 5.11...that's all.... an inch.

In my view an inch could be important when you sleep with your girlfriend but not as a forward in the top 6..

Reactions: HabbyGuy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

I wasn’t aware at 14 Lidstrom left home to join the Delta Hockey Academy in Vancouver run by Brendan Gallagher’s father

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
So surely they'll trade down then? As Iginla will not go in the top5. Maybe we target the Buffalo #11 pick to nab Iggy jr
I think in that scenario Ottawa is team you want to call. I realize the asset won’t be as good, but less chance to loose your guy too.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This will sound made up but I know from close friends of his family that he’s met with the Habs about a half dozen times this year, he’s been their biggest interest all along

I’d be shocked if they didn’t take him

He definitely had not met with the Habs this many times during the season....maybe not even once. I am not saying that you are making this up but the way this is worded it implies that Hughes/Gorton/Bobrov had been meeting with him and that 100% is not the case. I just doesn't work that way as NHL teams leave these kids alone for the most part and rely on their scouts to do the digging which is mostly speaking to coaches, management, family etc. I am sure that the Habs have done a lot of poking around and the family would certainly know about that given the connections that his father has.....perhaps this is what you meant?

edit: If you were referring to them reaching out to him after the season ended that is more likely and if that is what you were referring to then I would not push back too hard against that assertion.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I could absolutely see Hughes passing on these guys for a number of reasons.I personally like Iginla more than Lindstrom as IQ is my most coveted trait and Iggy has him beat in that category. Lindstrom might be great but he also might be another Josh Anderson type.

Iginla ticks every box that the Habs value and Lindstrom does not imo. I could still see them taking Lindstrom as well if they believe that they can replicate their developmental success that they have had with Slaf with Lindstrom.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I could absolutely see Hughes passing on these guys for a number of reasons.I personally like Iginla more than Lindstrom as IQ is my most coveted trait and Iggy has him beat in that category. Lindstrom might be great but he also might be another Josh Anderson type.

Iginla ticks every box that the Habs value and Lindstrom does not imo. I could still see them taking Lindstrom as well if they believe that they can replicate their developmental success that they have had with Slaf with Lindstrom.
I don’t see Lindstrom as a value asset for the Habs given we already have Slafkovsky… but it could be Gorton wants to succeed where he failed in New York: a team full of giants who can skate.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don’t see Lindstrom as a value asset for the Habs given we already have Slafkovsky… but it could be Gorton wants to succeed where he failed in New York: a team full of giants who can skate.
I'm not really following your logic here- you draft one top 6 with size (and have another in Dach) and you've hit your limit for bigger players? Lindstrom doesn't just have his size going for him either, his hands, shot and speed are all attributes as well.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He definitely had not met with the Habs this many times during the season....maybe not even once. I am not saying that you are making this up but the way this is worded it implies that Hughes/Gorton/Bobrov had been meeting with him and that 100% is not the case. I just doesn't work that way as NHL teams leave these kids alone for the most part and rely on their scouts to do the digging which is mostly speaking to coaches, management, family etc. I am sure that the Habs have done a lot of poking around and the family would certainly know about that given the connections that his father has.....perhaps this is what you meant?

edit: If you were referring to them reaching out to him after the season ended that is more likely and if that is what you were referring to then I would not push back too hard against that assertion.
Just writing here what I was told so I’m not sure what you want to hear

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If we were 4 years before I would be agree, when Habs didn't care about big skaters, or more the opposite. Now on the top six we have 2 big skaters in Slaf and Dach. Having a third big one isn't really a luxury. Habs have needs to both in one player : skills and size. I could add hockey IQ and work ethic (something difficult to measure) If they can find all this into one player, bingo, that's the player they will pick. But let's not forget there are potential superstars playing defense who might be available. Habs will pick according to their list, not fan's list.

I'm not really following your logic here- you draft one top 6 with size (and have another in Dach) and you've hit your limit for bigger players? Lindstrom doesn't just have his size going for him either, his hands, shot and speed are all attributes as well.
Yeah agree, there is no limit where a team says ok I have enough of big skilled players, I will pick a smaller one this time.

Last edited:

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal

this seems like a purposefully obtuse reading of what he wrote - why does meeting with Habs have to be HuGo? scouts meet with players all the time during the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad