Seravalli: Significant interest in Texier, Columbus asking for 1st and roster player

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Rangers scouting Them tonight

Texier for a 1st and Chytil enough ?
Only if Kekalainen really likes Chytil. I'm kind of ambivalent myself.

* * *​
Pittsburgh’s first would be in the 20s or hopefully 32nd. Pittsburgh’s 1st + defensive stalwart Zach Aston-Reese. Get a cheaper winger to replace Rust/Kap/Zucker all or some may be gone after this season.
I seriously doubt it. Wingers are not a need here.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Texier is finally coming through as a top-6 forward with skill and speed. The only issue is the Jackets need a center and Tex is showing he is most effective as a winger (which the Jackets are loaded up on with Laine, Voracek, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Chinakhov, Domi, etc. etc.).

A 1st is fair, especially if it is coupled with a roster player as a cap dump.

His primary drawback is ability to stay healthy.

center? can i intoduce you with someone called Dvorak?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't really get it, but a 1st and roster player is a decent return if they think they can get someone better with the pick.

Reactions: Fro

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What is with all of these teams asking for 1st rounders and a prospect for guys who clearly should not bring back that kind of return? It's just bizarre to me.

Why would a team pay a prospect and a 1st for Texier when they could add to that slightly and get someone like Boeser or Miller? It's just odd. Texier is definitely unique due to being so young and cheap, but still. I'd rather add a bit more to get a substantially better player than spend that kind of capital on someone like Texier.

It sounds like teams have started massaging their asks out in public with these stories about what they want.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I haven’t seen much at all of him except a playoff series where I was impressed. From reading this, he’s not a center. Does he play RW or LW? If he can play RW then I at least kick the tires on him if I’m the Rangers. If not, I don’t see the fit.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Why trade him for a 1st, who if you are lucky 2-4 years from now, will be another Texier?

Yeah I don’t think it makes sense
to trade him to a contender for a pick in the 25-32 range for this reason. And I don’t think the “roster player” addition is something that would be interesting for Columbus. There’s plenty of depth and some top prospects on the way next year. Only really seems to make sense as part of an upgrade package, such as Texier+Roslovic (or something) for a better forward.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Everyone wants a first round pick and a prospect for their players, here's the thing, there only so many 1sts to go around, Calgary, Florida ,Vegas ,Hurricanes, Colorado no longer have there first round pick, and I would be surprised to see the bottom feeders of the league trading their first away.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure why he'd be available .. but if someone wants to pay that, why wouldn't they take it?

Texier seems like a nice player but he hasn't exactly proven much.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why would Columbus deal Texier? He's one of their most valuable assets. He is a great player and a Canes killer. I'd pay the moon to get Texier on my team. Does Alexandre want out of Columbus? I can't fathom why the CBJ fans would want to deal Tex.

No you're right. This report makes no sense.

If you've got a surplus of wingers (they do) then trade one of the many soft skill guys they have. Tex has a fantastic grit and skill combination. You'd be thrilled if a mid to late 1st round pick ended up like him, so why move him for that?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I haven’t seen much at all of him except a playoff series where I was impressed. From reading this, he’s not a center. Does he play RW or LW? If he can play RW then I at least kick the tires on him if I’m the Rangers. If not, I don’t see the fit.

Plays both wings, he did most of his scoring this year at RW.

Rangers scouting Them tonight

Texier for a 1st and Chytil enough ?

No interest. Late 1st you'd be lucky if it turned out as well as Texier, and that's after waiting for years.

It's not a terrible offer on value but the Jackets have a lot of depth, I don't think taking a quantity package for Tex works, even a 2 piece just dilutes things further.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Not sure the Jackets would actually use the pick if they got it for this years draft. I could see them packaging it up for a position of need in the off-season.

Or maybe they want another dart for the 2023 draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fro

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
No you're right. This report makes no sense.

If you've got a surplus of wingers (they do) then trade one of the many soft skill guys they have. Tex has a fantastic grit and skill combination. You'd be thrilled if a mid to late 1st round pick ended up like him, so why move him for that?

Likely no one is calling up asking for them? Which is the basis for the report and this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad